Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:56:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, issue with 5 1080ti on MSI Z270 SLI PLUS  (Read 1079 times)
hyet24

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 03:00:41 AM

For anyone reading this in the future...

Alright, update to my mobo issue.. Got the asrock h110 pro btc+ today and wow.. wish I would have ordered this board originally, it was practically plug and play. Had absolutely 0 issues plugging in all of my 1080ti's and the performance seems slightly better (5-15 Sols/s) on this mobo more than the original MSI board I had, which is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, super impressed and it was a lot cheaper than the board I had originally.

From experience motherboards hit and miss.  I tried h110 pro and even the popular Asus Z270 Prime wasn't good start.  Whats funny my other rig has the same model as yours started good.  So I got H110 Pro replacement and it was much better until 2 months that I ask for another replacement.    Finally decided to sell it to my friend because he would be long time miner.   You can't really resell this to other people who only games.

Asus Z270 prime isn't bad just I got unlucky like the H110 but I didn't instantly avoid or feel regrets like many people do with products.

I'm still using MSI and Asus motherboards to this day.
Phantoms001

Activity: 135

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 09:02:27 PM

now I can't even get 4 cards working... they crash as soon as I start mining

does wiring matter for the separate PSUs? I have three risers and the attached GPUs being powered by one PSU, and the rest of the computer and 2 GPUs and their riser powered by it.

This is usually problematic from my past experiences.  You can get all kinds of goblins from doing this.

You need to power all your risers by the psu that is supplying the board.  The second PSU is used to power the 6/8 pin connectors on top.
joshuajones02 (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:34:30 AM

now I can't even get 4 cards working... they crash as soon as I start mining

does wiring matter for the separate PSUs? I have three risers and the attached GPUs being powered by one PSU, and the rest of the computer and 2 GPUs and their riser powered by it.

This is usually problematic from my past experiences.  You can get all kinds of goblins from doing this.

You need to power all your risers by the psu that is supplying the board.  The second PSU is used to power the 6/8 pin connectors on top.

yeah, that's how I have it setup, but worked fine the other way also when messing around with individual cards playing "trial and error" when troubleshooting it. It was definitely the motherboard, everything works great now after I swapped it out.

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
pfft

Activity: 165

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 06:42:18 AM

Alright, update to my mobo issue.. Got the asrock h110 pro btc+ today and wow.. wish I would have ordered this board originally, it was practically plug and play. Had absolutely 0 issues plugging in all of my 1080ti's and the performance seems slightly better (5-15 Sols/s) on this mobo more than the original MSI board I had, which is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, super impressed and it was a lot cheaper than the board I had originally.
Did you install the first gpu then put all 5 ? Or did you install one by one ?
joshuajones02 (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 04:07:13 AM

Did you install the first gpu then put all 5 ? Or did you install one by one ?

1 by 1 several times over, wanted to throw them against the wall

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
Makak4R

Activity: 266
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 04:43:39 AM

1 by 1 several times over, wanted to throw them against the wall

Grin Grin Grin yeah, that sounds so familiar !!!
but, finally you got it working!  good! and thanks for warning about msi mb, I heard they are not so good in overclocking, but turns out there are problems with mining as well
personally I will try to avoid them then in the future!

now I use asus mb mostly, by the way and never had any problems... hm, wait, I had! but that was cleared simply with a bios update!

so... ones the rig is working, then there is one question remains - what to mine!!!??

Grin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: