Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:57:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think an ICO, or coin, is all about the marketing?  (Read 2419 times)
JohnSnowSand (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 07:31:24 AM

I mean most these ICOs are not even original ...
Adult dating, real estate, gambling, etc etc ...
Really there is nothing new to the table, so what is it about ?
How much you spend on marketing ?
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 07:55:34 AM

That's pretty much my thought. I see new alt-coins popping out every day... as you said, for gambling, for music,etc.. they've became like facebook credits, you buy them and use them on one specific website just for that company that created it so they can roll those coins on their own website while the price is rising... similar strategy to steam, where you can deposit money and sell games but you can't withdraw.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
vvadym

Activity: 282
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:53:47 AM

It surely takes the big part of your budget to promote your project. Huge work and effort usually go into developing your idea and without marketing all the progress will go to waste. However, there do exist exception of the rules, where people just love the poorly promoted idea and backed the project within an hour.
mangodream

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:09:46 AM

That's pretty much my thought. I see new alt-coins popping out every day... as you said, for gambling, for music,etc.. they've became like facebook credits, you buy them and use them on one specific website just for that company that created it so they can roll those coins on their own website while the price is rising... similar strategy to steam, where you can deposit money and sell games but you can't withdraw.

Me too. Everywhere you look in the crypto world, you'll see new coins for new projects but it's always the same ideas : decentralized platform music, for instance. You can find at least 4 or 5 similar projects but none of them actually burst the screen... And this is true in every field.
ICOs are a way to get money easily. There is such a keen interest in the blockchain that it's enough to say the magical word "decentralized" to attract investors.
And because people here are remunerated to promote ICOs, the whole deck is stacked.
montyf

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:20:24 AM

Definitely. But that's true for most everything. The worlds biggest brands still spend fortunes on branding, even though their brands are ubiquitous. Just think of car brands, cola/soft drink brands, beer brands. Many of those are so universally known that marketing them are almost redundant, yet their marketing budgets quite often make up the largest proportion of their total budget.

Given the hype around ICOs and the huge amount of competition that has flourished in the space in such a short time, often the only differentiator between one and the next will be the marketing campaign. Realistically, the target market of ICOs is still fractional, given that most of the participants in the crowdsale portion of the ICO are folks like us that are playing the still very young cryptocoin landscape.
gaming-stars

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:33:33 AM

I would say that for the result of an ICO campaign the most important aspect is the team. It is even more important than the actual idea in my opinion.

Second, is the marketing and media coverage around it. Then, the actual idea is ranked third.

As with everything, marketing can change the public view and make a shitty project look great to the audience. It is an art for itself and a lot of marketers know that and this is why in my opinion many bad projects raise a lot of money.

For example, Unikrn will raise a lot of money even though they are not decentralized at all. It is not a DApp, nor does it have any of the ideas behind an ICO. It is marketing and only because a known billionaire is on board, it will be successful.

Unfortunately, this is how it works sometimes...
rodel caling

Activity: 952
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:40:41 AM

It surely takes the big part of your budget to promote your project. Huge work and effort usually go into developing your idea and without marketing all the progress will go to waste. However, there do exist exception of the rules, where people just love the poorly promoted idea and backed the project within an hour.

every investor have budget for the advertising of the product promotion to introduce to the people about the importance of product, the success of the businees is in the help of marketing promotion and strategy how to become successsfull.
Javi_Anibarro

Activity: 1526
Merit: 282

tBTC - https://dapp.tbtc.network/

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:42:02 AM

indeed,
all ICOs,Stand alone projects offering and supporting something like gambling,real estate,adult and else were just for marketing.
if we do some research you will be surprissed that their project(real object) does not exist at all.
which mean 90% projects were nonexist.
looking at right now,peoples think about an ideas other than implementation,they're creating a good/unique idiea to boost their sales and whent he implementation comes they do not know how to do it.

most of them are a scam and only open up a thread to get money.
jamids

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2017, 09:48:31 AM

Marketing is one of the things that makes an ICO successful but as we can observe in all business, marketing is important in order for the people to be aware of it. The most famous brands even those that are already household names have something new to offer to make people be excited about their products even if they have just added a little twist to their existing products. Some investors also who are just sick of the scam ICOs look at the team behind it because credibility of a person also attract investors and make them trust a project.

BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2017, 10:32:52 AM

YES obviously!

so far those coins/ICOs with the best advertising team and lots of marketing have been more successful than anything else. the examples among actual coins are countless.

there are a lot of shitcoins with good advertisement and good pumpers that are on top. and there are good coins that are doing the same thing better than those same shitcoins but they lack advertisement an they are on the bottom and nobody even hears about them.

--looking for signature--
digital_weezer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 10:56:57 AM

Marketing is a huge part of any company, because without getting your idea out it does not matter how good a concept it is.

I would be weary of ICO's that are clearly just throwing capital at articles and google ads. There are some many ICO's out there you have such a wide choice to pick from.

I personally go for ICO's that are marketed well (mostly through growth hacking or content marketing) rather than just ads that pop up in front of my face on my screen.
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:01:04 AM

Marketing is big, Apple is a relatively bland brand in technology (imo) but their marketing made them a leader, marketing ICOs is something every company will do but what you as an investor should focus is not the flashy stuff, read the white paper, see the use cases and then decide
JohnSnowSand (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:37:33 PM

Marketing is big, Apple is a relatively bland brand in technology (imo) but their marketing made them a leader, marketing ICOs is something every company will do but what you as an investor should focus is not the flashy stuff, read the white paper, see the use cases and then decide
Absolutely agree on this.
oreits11

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:48:48 PM

the same or similar goods with the service as developer to work on naratives as delivering the initial message
to future investors as the returns on chance as the decision on investors to evaluate/qualify as using of choice with
the occupation of systematicals/strategics.
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:50:44 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2021, 01:12:01 AM by Quantumplation

NOTE: This message was originally not posted by me, but instead by someone who compromised my account.  I have deleted the content.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
vithancodai

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:58:52 PM

a lot of coin will rising up if it have good dev team behind

when it has been marketing , community use it always, i think it is good ICOs .

spend  on marketing ? i think 80% when begin .
Temmy007

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:59:16 PM

You have said it all, I totally concur
diguyo

Activity: 274

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 03:00:10 PM

I work in advertising, and thus I may be bias here...no, but it's a very key component...and it's not just ICOs.

I've seen loads of coins that talk about 'millennials', talk overly techy, don't have a single-minded proposition and don't communicate it well...and worst of all, terrible terrible community management. The latter point is true of a majority, rather than a minority, of coins IMO.

You can have the best tech and product in the game, but if you don't market it well it'll never been seen and adopted by the masses. It might rise, but ultimately it will eventually fall. Look at PayPal's approach, look at Mastercard. For anything financial related, you need trust and acceptance...you need to communicate and market simply and effectively.

Few do it well, I think Dash is one of them. Monero too.

cynical

Activity: 490
Merit: 136

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 03:00:42 PM

well I do think marketing is the key to almost everything we do. looking for a job is marketing, we are marketing ourselves to potential employers. If we make goods we need to market it to potential customers. so icos need to market their coin and not just to potential investors like us but also to the people they want to use their coin or service.

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA   mastercard   SPA   UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
MV7

Activity: 322
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 03:06:43 PM

As a company, you pretty much have to spend everything on marketing before the ICO. This is because if the ICO is disastrous, you can't go through with the project as the company won't have the funds. Also means you can't really start working on a project in terms of development before the ICO as you never know if the ICO will reach the minimum cap.  I don't think anyone really likes this system, but it is the way it is.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: