Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:22:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-29 - O'Reilly Radar: Bitcoin is a money platform with many APIs  (Read 1129 times)
aantonop (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 05:42:17 PM

My article for O'Reilly's Radar blog:

http://radar.oreilly.com/2013/05/bitcoin-is-a-money-platform-with-many-apis.html

O'Reilly is researching the possibility of a technical book on bitcoin. This blog entry is intended to gauge interest in the topic.

Please read, comment and distribute!

Feedback and comments are very welcome - please help me improve my content. I will be doing additional blog entries for O'Reilly and other publications.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
internationalaw

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Community Manager at Letstalkbitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 05:49:46 PM

great article, Andreas.

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:31:30 PM

That was an excellent article! I sure hope it gains legs.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
gendal

Activity: 74
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:44:53 PM

I also think this is a great article as it highlights where the longer-term value in this ecosystem will be created..... i.e. the value of Bitcoin is not (just) in the value of the coins themselves but in the new innovation that could be unleashed through the idea of "programmable money".  

I would love to see a book along the lines you outline in the article - and would suggest some additional comments/areas for discussion

* You do a good job of arguing that there are several Bitcoin APIs but my sense as a relative newcomer is that, in reality, the APIs are a current weakspot. e.g. you only have to read the bitcointalk threads related to the v0.7/v0.8 fork and bitsofproof to see that the core protocol is 1) extremely complex and 2) poorly understood.   An O'Reilly book that gave people the idea they could/should work directly at the protocol level would be dangerous.  

* Similarly, whilst the scripting language is relatively straightforward, the way it works is nontrivial (e.g. the worked examples on the Bitcoin wiki really take some effort to comprehend).  If I were buying an O'Reilly book about "programming Bitcoin", I'd expect to see advice/recommendations on how to get started with scripting - e.g. how to set up a safe test environment, etc, etc.

* So perhaps a decent portion of the book should be focussed on various higher-level APIs?  e.g. you mention the JSON-RPC example - but I guess bitsofproof, bitcoinj and other implementations do too - I'd definitely be interested in a book that compared/contrasted them and helped me get started.
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:44:58 PM

very good article!

Will

xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:36:35 AM

http://radar.oreilly.com/2013/05/bitcoin-is-a-money-platform-with-many-apis.html

O'Reilly is researching the possibility of a technical book on bitcoin. This blog entry is intended to gauge interest in the topic.

Feedback and comments are very welcome - please help me improve my content. I will be doing additional blog entries for O'Reilly and other publications.

AA,
I'm not sure if you get much feedback but I really enjoy your insightful and enthusiastic commentary on Let's Talk BTC!.
Thanks for being one of the best Bitcoin analysts/spokespeople out there!
internationalaw

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Community Manager at Letstalkbitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 02:01:17 AM

AA,
I'm not sure if you get much feedback but I really enjoy your insightful and enthusiastic commentary on Let's Talk BTC!.

Be sure to listen in next week as we have some great content coming out!

aantonop (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 02:40:23 AM

AA,

Thank you for your kind words - I appreciate the support and the feedback. Let's Talk Bitcoin is a great way to discuss a topic and get feedback from the other hosts, contributors and after a week all the listener email. All the great ideas are not mine. I just put narrative and catch phrases around them ;-)

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:13:42 AM

AA,

Seconded!  Given the evidence of AA's activities/projects over the past few months, I'd put him on the shortlist of Bitcoin's best representatives/evangelists.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:23:21 AM

wow, that was one awesome article! Some of the things it talks about I didnt even know existed within bitcoin.. very awesome!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:31:44 AM

Good job!

StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:17:55 AM

Great article, this aspect of bitcoin is often overlooked.

Saw your excellent interview with Bob English on RT the other day. Tried to post the link here but it wasn't up yet.. anyway great job.

edit: Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1byaarDhj8&list=UUFdbeeLmpiK0Bgf4hCrPfWw&index=1

Interview starts at 15:15.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
hlhott

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:00:46 PM

great。。。。
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:32:32 PM

Excellent article, I wish other online journalists were able to follow your example of precise and clear descriptions of bitcoin's inner workings.

I look forward to seeing your future contributions in this space.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: