Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:50:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-09-20] Australia Ends Double Taxation of Bitcoin, Cryptocurrencies  (Read 3291 times)
gyu22 (OP)

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:43:54 PM

The Australian government has finally and conclusively provided a legislative end to the double taxation of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. The bill will retroactively be enforced to July 1 of this year, as had been promised earlier in the year.

The bill ends the practice of taxing the purchase of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, according to the Australian goods and services tax (GST). The release regarding the end of the double taxation standard included the following:

“Currently, consumers who use digital currency can effectively bear GST twice: once on the purchase of the digital currency, and once again on its use in exchange for other goods and services subject to the GST. The bill will ensure that Australians are no longer charged GST on purchases of digital currency, allowing it to be treated the same way as physical money for GST purposes."

The current Australian government hopes that the bill will open doors for greater levels of Fintech investment into the country.

As the Chinese government moves to crack down on ICOs and cryptocurrencies, the Australian government is seeking to embrace the sea change in the financial world.

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/australia-ends-double-taxation-of-bitcoin-cryptocurrencies

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitFinnese
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 10:50:25 PM

I envy these Australian citizen, they have a government that is  Bitcoin friendly, and even reform their taxation regulation to favors those who bought items with Bitcoins.  I hope my country, even though the governemnt acknowledge that Bitcoin is money, do the same thing too.  But alas, my country's government is more cautious in their own affair and other issues.  And yet another good news for Bitcoin community here Smiley
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 01:08:32 PM

Their government is really friendly towards citizens, I doubt that here in Russia our government would do something about this double tax, I suppose they would be satisfied with getting double tax and would not even move to change it.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 02:53:49 PM

So how do we get an Australian passport? Shall I marry an aussie girl? Joking aside I must say I’m a bit envy if that’s the case because I currently live and work in a country in which is not easy to live off bitcoin. This is going to attract many more business there. I would personally move if I could and not only for this bitcoin friendly environment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: