Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:56:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2019-04-27] Nike Files Trademark Application In The US For "Cryptokicks"  (Read 206 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 12:14:43 AM

Nike Files Trademark Application In The US For "Cryptokicks"

The footwear giant’s application describes offering crypto wallets and “downloadable mobile applications for providing access to crypto collectibles, crypto art and application tokens” — as well as operating an online marketplace featuring footwear and clothing.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-25/nike-files-trademark-application-us-cryptokicks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chaoscoinz

Activity: 1151
Merit: 260

☆Gaget-Pack☆

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 12:54:20 AM

The footwear giant’s application describes offering crypto wallets and “downloadable mobile applications for providing access to crypto collectibles, crypto art and application tokens” — as well as operating an online marketplace featuring footwear and clothing.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-25/nike-files-trademark-application-us-cryptokicks
It's going to start right here with small subtle moves towards cryptocurrency adoption like the approach that Nike is taking.
  The consumer will slowly be introduced to the technology overtime.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18515

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 11:00:26 AM

ts document also sets out plans for “providing a digital currency or digital token for use by members of an online community”
Oh good. Yet another shitcoin to add to the ranks. Just like Facecoin, JPMorgan Coin, Telegram Coin, it seems that we will soon have "NikeCoin" or similar as well. I have absolutely no doubt that just like all these other coins/tokens being launched by major companies, it won't be decentralized in the slightest. If it is even blockchain based at all, it will be a private blockchain ran entirely by them, and they will maintain complete control over it at all times.

Just another company jumping on the crypto bandwagon to try to make some easy money.
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 11:53:54 AM

Oh good. Yet another shitcoin to add to the ranks. Just like Facecoin, JPMorgan Coin, Telegram Coin, it seems that we will soon have "NikeCoin" or similar as well.

It obviously will be called "cryptokicks".

“This appears to be a filing for a brand of a cryptocurrency... this is trademark speak for ‘this is a cryptocurrency called Cryptokicks.”

Even though the article doesn't give any information about it, I think it will be a colored coin and not a completely independent cryptocoin. Interesting is which platform Nike uses. Similar to other big companies will it be a permissioned blockchain (e.g. Hyperledger), or a public one like Bitcoin (e.g. in conjunction with Countparty)?
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3652

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2019, 02:10:28 PM

It obviously will be called "cryptokicks".
I do not see any connection between these currencies and cryptocurrencies, they are tokens and not currencies.
To print a currency, you must have a license (with a lot of central things) and then you have to link the value of those currencies with paper money + be subject to restrictions on issuance so as not to be manipulated.
In other words, a new form of digital money & Blockchain may be used to record data and transparency.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 03:03:08 PM

Similar to other big companies will it be a permissioned blockchain (e.g. Hyperledger), or a public one like Bitcoin (e.g. in conjunction with Countparty)?

I think the most likely platform to be launched on is Ethereum if it isn't a premissioned ledger. I personally consider Bitcoin one of the worst platforms to launch a token on if it isn't meant to store a massive amount of value like USDT. Tokens like USDT being worth billions need that security, a shit token doesn't.

Ethereum offers the most secure smart contract platform, and has the best developers working on it, plus the network effect plays a role too. Running on Ethereum allows easy integration with most exchanges, services, wallets, etc. I will laugh hard if they go for TRON or EOS instead.  Cheesy
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1104

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 05:38:04 PM

Let's hope some of the profits will go to child labour victims in Cambodia.
Jokes aside, I'm always happy when mainstream companies get into the crypto space. My only concern would be that a shoe company is going into a foreign territory of online gaming and collectibles. We'll see how they do.

hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 08:41:24 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (1)

"Tokenize everything" - why? - who cares, just tokenize, it's what all the cool kids do. Except it is not 2017 anymore, and blockchain hype is very quickly dying. If today an iced tea company renamed itself to have "blockchain" in their name, their stocks wouldn't double in an instant.

Moral of the story - if someone is so desperate to find problems that their technology would solve, it's a good sign that their technology is not that good.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 08:51:00 PM

What a nice way of admitting that they are aware of the reseller market happening and its their own way to market their own clothing wear and footwear. And knowing how Nike brand loyalists do it I expect that they'll be using the market placeNike has built. With this move if they are successfully secure the patent then we expect to see Nike definitely leading the race against Adidas and Under Armour.  But I know how patents work and maybe other sportswear brands are not far behind on making their own versions out of it.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 08:53:51 PM

Moral of the story - if someone is so desperate to find problems that their technology would solve, it's a good sign that their technology is not that good.
It's a strange phenomenon, and one that seems to be rife in the crypto-sphere. Rather than seeing a problem and working out a solution, people tend to come up with a product and then go looking for a problem it could solve, regardless of how good it would be at solving said problem. It was very common back at the height of the ICO fever, with many ICOs proposing some grand solution to some minor or non-existent issue. You can also see it across this forum and others with people trying to shoehorn "blockchain technology" in to their company/business idea, without any thought as to how or why it might be useful to them.
rodel caling

Activity: 952
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 11:39:55 PM

It's going to start right here with small subtle moves towards cryptocurrency adoption like the approach that Nike is taking.
  The consumer will slowly be introduced to the technology overtime.

Right sir this another good signal for crypto continue accepted by merchant manufacturers soon will be follow the other popular manufacturing to adopt bitcoin.
TheKeyLongThumbI

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 08:40:04 AM

Cryptokicks sounds like a new trend in the future. I'm sure millenials will go crazy for it in the future just like the jordans. I'm just amaze that top brands are now much very aware of crypto and that way that they make advance moves is a good sign that we are now influencing the top market worldwide.
roosbit

Activity: 891
Merit: 43

Random coins :)

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 09:45:47 AM

Elsewhere in the document, Nike sets out how it wants to reserve the Cryptokicks name for providing “online blogs in the field of crypto collectibles” and offering online computer games such as scavenger hunts, treasure hunts and obstacle courses.
If nike didnt reserve this name now, why should this trade mark name be reserved for their future use Huh

Someone else beat them to it and the best they can do now is let it slide or try buy it off the current owners Roll Eyes
shamc
Copper Member

Activity: 336
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 02, 2019, 06:47:24 AM

Is anyone really surprised by this news? Soon we will see crypto currencies for all major brands. The question is whether they will be listed on exchanges in the future

[ S E S S I A ] NEW GENERATION SOCIAL NETWORK
twitter    ◾ telegram     (❪  W H I T E P A P E R  ❫)
GET APP  ❱❱❱  ► Google Play   ► App Store
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1131

View Profile
May 02, 2019, 01:08:31 PM

Similar to other big companies will it be a permissioned blockchain (e.g. Hyperledger), or a public one like Bitcoin (e.g. in conjunction with Countparty)?

I think the most likely platform to be launched on is Ethereum if it isn't a premissioned ledger. I personally consider Bitcoin one of the worst platforms to launch a token on if it isn't meant to store a massive amount of value like USDT. Tokens like USDT being worth billions need that security, a shit token doesn't.

Ethereum offers the most secure smart contract platform, and has the best developers working on it, plus the network effect plays a role too. Running on Ethereum allows easy integration with most exchanges, services, wallets, etc. I will laugh hard if they go for TRON or EOS instead.  Cheesy
They wont really be that blind if they chose up TRON or EOS yet seeing on smart contract would already be a convincing thing for them to use this platform for their own shitcoin.

I wont really be surprised too if we would able to see NikeCoin in few months time which these kind of things isnt really interesting at all.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2019, 06:09:47 PM

Soon we will see crypto currencies for all major brands.
You are probably right, but I just don't see the point. None of these brands would ever dream of launching their own fiat currency. Why do they all want to jump on to the cryptocurrency bandwagon? There is no good reason for it - anything they really need a cryptocurrency for could quite easily be achieved with an existing coin such as bitcoin or ethereum. The only reasons I can see of launching their own coins is to either make a quick buck off newbies who will buy it for no good reason, or because they will use it like a payment processor and retain complete centralized control over it at all times. You can pretty much guarantee that not a single one of these coins/tokens will offer new technology or a new use case.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: