Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:06:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long has your OS been installed?  (Read 2760 times)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13013

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:18:24 AM

7/1/2010

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 04:20:51 AM

lol... trying to run Linux commands on Windows. You're a funny guy.

try del c:\*.* Wink
Yes I like jokes!

del c:/*.* will stuck against system files protected by permissions even under WindowsXP. Yet this command could goatse all my files stored on regular folders.

Probably will succeed under Windows98, especially if reboooted into DOS mode.
Interestingly enough, one of the first programs I ever wrote, in some form or another of BASIC, was a one-line "virus" that erased everything on the hard drive. I never intended to run it. My dad, however, didn't know what it would do....

Boy, was he pissed. I honestly thought I was going to die that day.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:29:23 AM

Long time ago one friend started to write DoS tool but decided to abandon project and ended with adding few lines to code that destroy windows. The damage is not visible until rebooted. The software still had the GUI interface of original intended purpose and I run it. It was before virtualization and test environments become available.

That ended with reinstallation of my OS. Back then reinstalling was fast and easy. On morning I booted Windows98 startup floppy and in evening I was playing games with my friends or causing devastation on IRC servers or NMDC hubs. Today installing OS is almost month of daily installing, tweaking, securing, configuring, testing until everything works as it should.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 04:42:49 AM

Today installing OS is almost month of daily installing, tweaking, securing, configuring, testing until everything works as it should.
A well-planned Linux install can be over and done with in a day, but that planning takes some time. Or, you can put everything you need on a bootable CD or USB stick, and just run off that, and never have to worry about installing again. Most of the USB versions of this plan even allow for storage of files and whatnot. But for security, you can't beat a Live CD.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:56:40 AM

It really depends what the computer are supposed to do.

More and more I rely on virtual machines or live bootable systems. Still I need one computer that can do almost anything I need at a few clicks. Or create DVD that can be booted off from another PC. And that can be used for both entertainment, gaming and internet stuff without rebooting or switching hardware.

This is why my real PC and OS is so important. Learned it hard way, now will have fully loaded rigs all around me.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:38:41 AM

Interestingly enough, one of the first programs I ever wrote, in some form or another of BASIC, was a one-line "virus" that erased everything on the hard drive. I never intended to run it. My dad, however, didn't know what it would do....

Heh. I did almost exactly the same thing in high school, only it wasn't BASIC, it was autorun.inf (this was back when Windows would silently run anything autorun.inf told it to, no questions asked). I nearly got suspended for that.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:47:52 AM

Heh. I did almost exactly the same thing in high school, only it wasn't BASIC, it was autorun.inf (this was back when Windows would silently run anything autorun.inf told it to, no questions asked). I nearly got suspended for that.
Oh, evil....

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:08:51 AM

Oh, evil....
The school did weekly backups of everything, so I figured it would just be a minor inconvenience. That's the only reason I wasn't suspended. In retrospect, it was slightly less funny than I thought it would be. But only slightly.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 07:18:39 AM

Oh, evil....
The school did weekly backups of everything, so I figured it would just be a minor inconvenience. That's the only reason I wasn't suspended. In retrospect, it was slightly less funny than I thought it would be. But only slightly.
lol... yeah, I taught my dad the importance of regular backups, if nothing else.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:06:45 PM

I remember whining about autorun.ini idea long before it became problem. It took few years for virus writers to start utilize this "feature" and few more years for Microsoft to disable it via optional KB update. One guy I know got all his equipment damaged by variation of Chernobyl virus from infected autorun program on game demo CD. He was running Win98 back then and even his CD-ROM firmware got damaged by virus.

You cannot reasonably backup everything.

RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:18:31 PM

Oh, evil....
ROFL!!!. They lost the record of you writing the virus?  Grin
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 11:11:43 PM

Oh, evil....
ROFL!!!. They lost the record of you writing the virus?  Grin
No, it didn't delete itself. How else would they appreciate the genius of it? Also, that would have been quite difficult to pull off with a CD-R...

myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 11:20:29 PM

Install date, not uptime. Wink Though those are pretty impressive.

pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 12:16:31 AM

Seems like malevolent is the longest then theymos then quite a few of 2011's. Outstanding.
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 12:24:59 AM

C:\Users\User>systeminfo | find /i "install date"
Original Install Date:     7/2/2009, 10:27:20 PM

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 01:40:49 AM

lol... trying to run Linux commands on Windows. You're a funny guy.

try del c:\*.* Wink

you need del c:\*.* /s
Ah. It's been many moons since I had to operate in a windows command line environment.

RichG

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:57:30 AM

I hate cmd.exe.
It pisses me off.
ganabb

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:12:14 AM

june/1/2013

cryptopi

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:35:11 PM

August 05, 2012 (macbook pro retina bootcamp with windows x64)

www.hosterbox.com - really good web hosting (accepts bitcoins)
(disclaimer - I am not affiliated with hosterbox in any way)
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 11:40:02 PM

I hate cmd.exe.
It pisses me off.
Why so?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All