Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:28:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do you side with - Kevin or Mt Gox?  (Read 1078 times)
calista (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:48:25 AM

i side with kevin because it seems everything he did was right and legit.

mt gox, on the other hand, voluntarily gave all our infos to the fbi.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tominator

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:59:46 AM

What information would Mt Gox give the FBI exactly that the FBI doesn't already have?

The name/username/email/hash database table is already out of the bag, so the FBI already had access to it, just like everyone else.

The only thing that Mt Gox could really give other than that would have been the exact transaction data and access logs, but if the FBI really wanted that, they could easily get that on their own. They've been blatantly monitoring internet traffic since the 90's.

For examples of these government-run internet spying projects, simply see the following wikipedia articles:
Carnivore - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_%28software%29
NarusInsight - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NarusInsight
COINTELPRO - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO
Echelon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON
tominator

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:11:40 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 03:08:34 AM by tominator

For the record, I think that what Kevin did was completely understandable (buy all the bitcoins he could, for as cheap as he could). I certainly probably would have attempted to do the same, given the opportunity.

This, however, doesn't mean that I think he should get to keep the funds. He got lucky and managed to make off with 600+ bitcoins, but that doesn't change the fact that those bitcoins were stolen. In the real world, if something is stolen and sold to someone else, the stolen item still belongs to its rightful owner and has to be returned if at all possible.

I think that most of the people who are rooting for Kevin are people who made out like bandits when the crash occurred and what they're really wanting is to be able to keep their ill-gotten gains. Kevin is their poster child.

The best solution is to take away the ill-gotten gains from the greedy hordes (an image of Cartman whining about not getting his way springs to mind) and just roll everything back to the way it was. I, for one, would love to see the market return to $17/BTC and for everyone's account balances to just be back to what they were and this whole incident to have effectively never happened. Mt Gox will have to spend a lot of BTC to rewind things and put things back in order. I think that's punishment enough for their security problems.
rjs

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:04:05 PM

if Kevin wasn't such a bright guy I don't think there would be as much concern about his story being accurate.
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:51:57 PM

Well I have kinda kept quiet on the subject in the past BUT

At the start I was on MtGox side. Now I am leaning towards Kevin

If you was online and saw the market starting to crash. You would of put in a low buyorder. For all we knew at the time it could of been someone with a sick amount of bitcons just sick and selling up. (or added an extra 0 by mistake on his sell order)

In kevin's instance at first I was thinking about he should give the coins back as well market's do at sometimes break. But after how much shit hes had to go though I would take it as payment and keep it. and think about taking gox not for the funds but for breach of data protection or Defamation of character

For example when mtgox posted the logs. I bet other people logged in and out at the same time as him. And for one not disclosing who's account they where hacked from claiming DPA. Then posting login times for Kevin which is a breach of DPA. And saying that he knew the hacker with little proof. Which could be called slander. But yet when other peoples accounts have been hacked its been oh well your loss.

Do I 100% believe kevin no. I do believe the bit where he says the market was crashing and he put in a low buy order and he does not know the hacker. But am dubious when he saw the market crashing that there was a thought that the site could of been hacked.

Could mtgox handled this 100% better hell yea

They should have there own set of rules they stick 2 no matter what. they say they will not get involved under stolen bitcoins but there have been posts on the forum to advise otherwise.

there database was leaked out on the 16th that we know about and hell could of been earlier. Plus trying to clam Greater force(act of god) just to name a few things they have done wrong which it was proven in a court of law in the 1900s that does not have a wide scope to everything just as it says acts of god. And did anyone notice when that was put into there t&c's.

Anyway Kevin keep the cash because if all that shit happened to me I would of kept it as well.

If mtgox. Had of been well we fucked up but we are going to fix our shit. Even if that DB got nicked from a offsite auditor (which I don't believe). Don't you think the file should of at lest been encrypted? passworded?
gfeidh

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:55:35 PM

why taking side? what the story between that kevin and Mt.Gox?

Is that who hacked Mt.Gox?
rob80

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 04:15:47 PM

mtgox had no procedures/safe guards in place to stop this sort of thing from stopping a fire sale, nor did they delay the transfer of newly purchased coins.  Because of this, I'm on the Kevin side of this issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: