Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:59:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 121 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTracking - Profit/Loss Portfolio and Tax Reporting for Digital Currencies  (Read 121741 times)
Bermuda666

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2017, 10:07:28 PM

This looks like a really cool project, I usually avoid this type of thing because of privacy concerns, well that and coin security. What kind of personal info is shared and with whom using this service? Thanks

Hey @Liquid71,

thanks for your question. We understand such concerns and take special care about it.

I want to give you some points on our security activities.

- All data is stored secure and only on our own server, plus it will stay there.
- All databases are protected and completely shielded.
- User data is stored fully encrypted.
- The whole website is running on a SSL certification base.
- All data we delete, is deleted directly and forever. No data is left behind.
- You can register completely anonymous, nothing of your personal data is required.
- All user statistics are calculated without personal details.

To name just a few security features.

Hope this is going to help you.

Also @sgjenks01 thanks a lot for submitting an answer. Smiley

Best regards,
Keven

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
- Now over 20% Discount on our Lifetime plans (Limited Time)
- 5% Discount when paying in Bitcoin, plus an additional 10% Discount on all plans by using this link: bit.ly/rebate-ct

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bermuda666

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2017, 10:15:11 PM

Feature Request:
When setting up the automatic imports for BTC and ETH as well as the other Alt Coins, it would be very helpful if you provided a free format "Description" field. I got an email that said I got a deposit in BTC to xyz wallet. The problem is, I had no idea which BTC wallet the import was set up on or where the transaction came from. i had to do some digging to figure out it came from a miner. With a notes/description field, that could have been avoided.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve,

as you know we really appreciate your suggestion and feature requests.

I´ll put this on our todo list as well as your other ideas.
Thanks for contributing. Smiley Happy Tracking.

Greetings,
Keven

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
- 5% Discount when paying in Bitcoin, plus an additional 10% Discount on all plans by using this link: bit.ly/rebate-ct
spacedoodoopistols

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 07:04:17 PM

Is there a way to import gatehub transactions? Or at least manually enter my XRP?
Dario3000 (OP)

Activity: 760
Merit: 516

CoinTracking - Crypto Portfolio & Tax Management

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2017, 11:40:50 PM

Is there a way to import gatehub transactions? Or at least manually enter my XRP?
There is currently no gatehub import, but you can of course enter your XRP manually like all other currencies.

Best, Dario

CoinTracking.info - Your Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Calculator for all Digital Currencies
Simply the best way to track your digital assets accurately. Get live data for more than 5000 coins, assets and commodities. Track Gains & Balances from all your exchanges and wallets.
Need help? CoinTracking FAQ
sgjenks01

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:00:14 AM

Hi, I'm a user here, but can answer your question. I see Dario answered your question, but he is a busy guy and gave you a quick answer. I'm retired, so am not as pressed for time as Dario, so I can give you a little more detailed answer, because there is a lot more to CoinTracking than manual entry, but that's always a way to go.

Hopefully, you have downloaded the free trial so you can see what I'm referring to. On the Menu Bar, there is a link called "Enter Coins", from there you can pick your poison. If you only have a few trades to put in, pick "Overview & Manual Entry". Let's assume you have a lot of transactions to put in. There is not currently a way to automatically load the trades from gatehub so it will have to be a semi-manual effort. To do the import to CoinTracking, you have to be able to download some sort of transaction file from gatehub. If you can do that, it's just a question of manipulating that file to get the data into the right places in CoinTracking. CoinTracking will try to figure out what the columns represent by the header name, but you can fix that before the import. CoinTracking even gives you a preview of what the import will look like before you tell it to proceed. if you have ever imported an address book from one application to another, the process is much the same. A good thing about Cointracking is that you can make a backup of your database before you do anything, so if you create a mess on your first attempt, you can just restore from the backup and start again.

So the best way to be sure this answer works for you is to download the free version, download a transaction file from gatehub (a csv will do fine). Then just see how easy/hard the whole process will be for you.

I hope this helps!

Steve
sgjenks01

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:31:04 AM

@ Dario or Kevin,
Hi guys, I've just been "taking profit" on Dash. I say taking profit in quotes because CT tells me I have taken an $18 loss for every DASH sold! I was shocked to see that, so I did some digging. If I chart DASH/USD, the graph is pointing straight up, but if I plot DASH/BTC, the trend is sideways to down. I did some rough calculations and found that my weighted average purchase price is roughly $104/DASH. I also calculated my weighted average sale price and it is about $147/DASH, which represents a $43/DASH gain per DASH sold.  I think the reason for this discrepancy is because DASH has been flat to down vs BTC. I'm just guessing that you are calculating gains and losses vs BTC and then converting those gains/losses to USD rather than calculating the gains/losses vs the USD all the way through. When BTC was trading sideways against the USD, this didn't really make a big difference, but now... Long story short, since you are reporting gains and losses vs the USD, I think gains and losses should be calculated against the USD throughout the process.

I hope you see what I mean. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Steve
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 09:06:55 PM

Hey Steve,

Actually we calculate the value directly in USD.
We do not calculate in BTC and convert the value into USD.

I think I have found the issue.
You have created a manually ShapeShift transaction of:
Buy: 4 DASH
Sell: 0.02731424 BTC

I don't think this is correct and the reason why the PnL is broken.
0.02731424 BTC had a value of 75.67 USD at transaction
and 4 DASH had a value of 570 USD at transaction.

You can see the wrong values on the gains page (https://cointracking.info/gains.php) by opening the 2nd box and typing "dash" into the search box.
You will also find more buy and sell prices for your DASH sales there, which look good to me by the way.
So it's just this one trade you need to fix.

Best,
Dario

CoinTracking.info - Your Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Calculator for all Digital Currencies
Simply the best way to track your digital assets accurately. Get live data for more than 5000 coins, assets and commodities. Track Gains & Balances from all your exchanges and wallets.
sgjenks01

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:11:36 PM

0.02731424 BTC had a value of 75.67 USD at transaction
and 4 DASH had a value of 570 USD at transaction.

Dario,
Thank you so much! The BTC quantity had some digits transposed. it was supposed to be 0.207... NOT 0.027, which put me 0.18 BTC short! Big difference! This is an issue I sometimes have with numbers.
It's can be hard for me to spot transposed numbers but much easier to transpose them.

I sure didn't expect you to debug my data entry, but it goes with the territory. I know this because I used to write code that used Excel spreadsheets as input. The users would come to me saying the script was messing up, when, more often than not is was a simple data entry error that they just did not see.

Thanks again!

Steve
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 10:16:08 PM

You're welcome.
Yeah, it's much faster to find the issue in an account than just guessing what it could be.

Thank you too for answering user questions here at bitcointalk Smiley
I really appreciate it.
Dario

sgjenks01

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 03:49:50 AM

@ Dario,

You are welcome.

I have another feature request, which I had been meaning to put in, but you beat me to it, sort of. You changed the interface so that if the balances need to be recalculated, you put up a dialog asking the user to push the button. My idea was to have CT do something more automatic. Here's why:  As long as the user is changing the table by manual entry or import, CT should do no recalculating. But as soon as the user asks for a display of the data in any form, except the Data Input Table, CT should check to see whether anything has changed since the last recalculation (which you have always been doing) and if it's needed, just go ahead and recalculate and display the same progress bar that you do now.

Here's why I say that. If I have been adjusting transactions, or putting them in. When I want to see what happened to the results, i will most commonly ask to see the Balance by Exchange report because it gives the sort of sub-totals I want to be sure line up with what is at the exchanges and/or wallets. But here's the thing: I already know a) that I made changes, and b) that to check them, recalculations have to be done. So why ask me? By adjusting and entering transactions and then asking for a report, I know that such action will require a recalculation, so just do it! Smiley

Thanks,

Steve
Bermuda666

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 06:58:09 AM

@ Dario,

You are welcome.

I have another feature request, which I had been meaning to put in, but you beat me to it, sort of. You changed the interface so that if the balances need to be recalculated, you put up a dialog asking the user to push the button. My idea was to have CT do something more automatic. Here's why:  As long as the user is changing the table by manual entry or import, CT should do no recalculating. But as soon as the user asks for a display of the data in any form, except the Data Input Table, CT should check to see whether anything has changed since the last recalculation (which you have always been doing) and if it's needed, just go ahead and recalculate and display the same progress bar that you do now.

Here's why I say that. If I have been adjusting transactions, or putting them in. When I want to see what happened to the results, i will most commonly ask to see the Balance by Exchange report because it gives the sort of sub-totals I want to be sure line up with what is at the exchanges and/or wallets. But here's the thing: I already know a) that I made changes, and b) that to check them, recalculations have to be done. So why ask me? By adjusting and entering transactions and then asking for a report, I know that such action will require a recalculation, so just do it! Smiley

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve

Thanks again for your suggestion. I just put it on the todo list and we will talk about it.

Wish you good investings.

Best regards,
Keven

moftkhor

Activity: 61
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:17:41 PM

Is there any way to change colours on the coin diagram 'Value each Currency in EUR.'
There are too many kinds of blue on 1 circle diagram right now and that makes it a little messy when there are numerous coins on 1 diagram.
Can we customize the colors?
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 10:14:18 PM

Hey moftkhor,

Currently not, but I will add that to our to do list.
Right now we have 30 different colors. Once you have reached 30 coins, the colors will repeat.
I could add more than 30, but I guess it will be hard to see a difference Smiley

Best, Dario

moftkhor

Activity: 61
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:38:09 AM

Hey moftkhor,

Currently not, but I will add that to our to do list.
Right now we have 30 different colors. Once you have reached 30 coins, the colors will repeat.
I could add more than 30, but I guess it will be hard to see a difference Smiley

Best, Dario

Well, there's no need for more colours really. Only the choice of colour for each coin is more than enough.  Wink
Pietpiraat

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 08:57:58 AM

Is their a way to show the ''total value'' without sum currencies ?
Because when i decide to sell for euro i would like to not show it in the total value anymore.

Sum Coins:       1.458,84 €
Sum Currencies:    500,00 €
Total Value:       1.958,84 €

Limitrade

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:18:39 PM

Hello, who can help me solve my problem.
i bought Unlimited license for cointracing but cant set up it as i need.

i have 3 Poloniex acc and 1 Bittrex
so i want all info be imported using API from all this acc.

and here the problem i have. I need all data from 3 poloniex acc be imported only from certain date 10/06/17 and Bittrex from the opening acc is ok.

so now i delete all data till my date but avery day after avto import it load all data including before 10/06/17 .

so how i can setut my acc for this?

regards
Dario3000 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2017, 11:19:54 PM

Is their a way to show the ''total value'' without sum currencies ?
Because when i decide to sell for euro i would like to not show it in the total value anymore.

Sum Coins:       1.458,84 €
Sum Currencies:    500,00 €
Total Value:       1.958,84 €

Hey, the "Total Value" without currencies is exactly the "Sum Coins" value.
So you can just use this one if you're not interested in your currencies.

As an alternative you could add a withdrawal of 500 EUR to equal both values.
But the first solution is much easier.

so now i delete all data till my date but avery day after avto import it load all data including before 10/06/17 .

Yes, the API import will always re-import all trades once they have been deleted.
I have this "time-period" feature already on my todo list.

But there is a workaround for now:
Go to the Enter Coins page, and select all your older trades you don't want (use the SHIFT key to select multiple entries at a time).
Click now on the "edit" button and set the "buy amount", "sell amount" and "fee amount" to 0.
This will overwrite all selected trades with 0 and because they are not deleted, they will not be re-imported or overwritten by the Polo API.

Best, Dario

sgjenks01

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:33:49 AM

Dario & Kevin,
I ran into issues when I sold all BTC and ETH because I had errors related to the ShapeShift transactions I didn't keep good records on. These errors caused the balances to be negative, which, as you know, CT can't deal with, so it showed realized gains at zero and losses at zero. To try to figure out the errors, I decided to use the "Double Entry List" report. Doing this actually helped me find the gross errors, but the totals still didn't match what I expected.

While doing this, I noticed that the Double Entry List pulls Fees out of the Fee column and puts it as an "Out" transaction. This means that if I add up all the Ins and Outs for a particular currency, I get a different answer than the Remaining Amount that shows on the Realized/Unrealized page. So, I thought if I just strip out all the Out transactions for fees that I would get a total quantity by currency from the Double Entry List that would match the quantities in the Remaining Amount column of the Realized and Unrealized Gains page.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. The totals from the Double Entry List (without Fees) is almost always an amount lower than the amount reported on the Realized Gains and Losses page. It's usually a small amount - just a fraction of a coin. But with BTC, the totals disagree by 0.25 BTC, which at today's prices is a pretty hefty difference how much is being reported.

You might be wondering how I got the numbers. I started with the raw output from the Double Entry List and then filtered out all the fee transactions and deleted them. Next, I downloaded the Realized Gains and Losses spreadsheet. I transposed it so that the totals and currency symbols go across the page instead of down. Then I wrote Excel formulas to only extract data into a column if the symbol matched the cell containing the symbol from the Realized Gains and Losses sheet. The formulas looked for In or Out in the transaction type and changed all the Out transactions to a negative number. Next, I calculated a running total and it's that total that I compared with the amouts from the Remaining Amount column. So, in essence, I wound up with a spreadsheet with the transactions running down the page on the left with all the symbols running across the page. Each column in that array only contains transactions that relate to that column's symbol and all the Out transactions are negative quantities.

It seems to me that the quantity from the Gains and Losses page should match the sum of all non-Fee transactions for that currency, and they don't. What am I missing?

Steve

Sorry for the "book".
sgjenks01

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 03:54:13 AM

Dario & Kevin,
I ran into issues when I sold all BTC and ETH because I had errors related to the ShapeShift transactions I didn't keep good records on. These errors caused the balances to be negative, which, as you know, CT can't deal with, so it showed realized gains at zero and losses at zero. To try to figure out the errors, I decided to use the "Double Entry List" report. Doing this actually helped me find the gross errors, but the totals still didn't match what I expected.

While doing this, I noticed that the Double Entry List pulls Fees out of the Fee column and puts it as an "Out" transaction. This means that if I add up all the Ins and Outs for a particular currency, I get a different answer than the Remaining Amount that shows on the Realized/Unrealized page. So, I thought if I just strip out all the Out transactions for fees that I would get a total quantity by currency from the Double Entry List that would match the quantities in the Remaining Amount column of the Realized and Unrealized Gains page.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. The totals from the Double Entry List (without Fees) is almost always an amount lower than the amount reported on the Realized Gains and Losses page. It's usually a small amount - just a fraction of a coin. But with BTC, the totals disagree by 0.25 BTC, which at today's prices is a pretty hefty difference how much is being reported.

You might be wondering how I got the numbers. I started with the raw output from the Double Entry List and then filtered out all the fee transactions and deleted them. Next, I downloaded the Realized Gains and Losses spreadsheet. I transposed it so that the totals and currency symbols go across the page instead of down. Then I wrote Excel formulas to only extract data into a column if the symbol matched the cell containing the symbol from the Realized Gains and Losses sheet. The formulas looked for In or Out in the transaction type and changed all the Out transactions to a negative number. Next, I calculated a running total and it's that total that I compared with the amouts from the Remaining Amount column. So, in essence, I wound up with a spreadsheet with the transactions running down the page on the left with all the symbols running across the page. Each column in that array only contains transactions that relate to that column's symbol and all the Out transactions are negative quantities.

It seems to me that the quantity from the Gains and Losses page should match the sum of all non-Fee transactions for that currency, and they don't. What am I missing?

Steve

Sorry for the "book".

The book continues... I did some more digging on this and what I have found is that the Double Entry List (minus the Fee entries) either matches exactly with a tally of the wallet totals for that currency or very, very close. On BCN, I had a transaction where I moved BCN from a miner to the "Main" wallet and then decided to create a "Miner" wallet and move those funds over. I end up with a discrepancy of ZERO between the IN?OUT totals and the wallet totals. But the total from the Realized and Unrealized page doesn't account for the coin moved to the "Miner" wallet AT ALL. Similarly, with BTC where I had a discrepancy of over .25 BTC when comparing the IN/OUT total to the Realized and Unrealized page where the difference between the IN/Out total and the actaul wallet values is .0003147 BTC or about 75 cents. With BTS, the error is the opposite of that found in BCN. Here the Realized and Unrealized total is overstating the available balance, where the difference between what the wallets say I have and the In/Out totals is off by .01213 BTS or 0.4 cents.

Anyway, I hope you see that the In/Out totals (excluding Fees) agrees very closely with what is in the wallets and the totals from the Realized and Unrealized Gains page does not.
Steve
Bermuda666

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2017, 03:37:10 PM

Dario & Kevin,

Steve

Sorry for the "book".

The book continues... I did some more digging on this and what I have found is that the Double Entry List (minus the Fee entries) either matches exactly with a tally of the wallet totals for that currency or very, very close. On BCN, I had a transaction where I moved BCN from a miner to the "Main" wallet and then decided to create a "Miner" wallet and move those funds over. I end up with a discrepancy of ZERO between the IN?OUT totals and the wallet totals. But the total from the Realized and Unrealized page doesn't account for the coin moved to the "Miner" wallet AT ALL. Similarly, with BTC where I had a discrepancy of over .25 BTC when comparing the IN/OUT total to the Realized and Unrealized page where the difference between the IN/Out total and the actaul wallet values is .0003147 BTC or about 75 cents. With BTS, the error is the opposite of that found in BCN. Here the Realized and Unrealized total is overstating the available balance, where the difference between what the wallets say I have and the In/Out totals is off by .01213 BTS or 0.4 cents.

Anyway, I hope you see that the In/Out totals (excluding Fees) agrees very closely with what is in the wallets and the totals from the Realized and Unrealized Gains page does not.
Steve

Hey Steve,

ok, thank you for going into this.  Smiley

We have to check your statements in detail and this could take a while,
since there is a lot of stuff to do at the moment.

Please have patience. Thank you.

Best regards,
Keven

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 121 »
  Print  

Jump to: