Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:58:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Futures volume  (Read 126 times)
Joe200 (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:40:50 PM

The futures volume is 1,600 per day. By comparison, Bitfinex is 50,000+ per day. Plus add in all the other exchanges.

Futures is a huge opportunity for traders to come in who don't want to deal with the complexities and the risk of handling actual coins. Or for institutional traders, who can't deal with it.

You would think the futures volume would be a lot higher. But it's not.

Discuss.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:44:38 PM

For the futures traders to move the market where they want, they first have to own the underlying asset.  Which they don't right now. They don't want to go long, because they don't really care to buy the asset and think that it is overvalued. But also they can't short it, because they don't own any coins and supply has to come from existing bitcoin owners. Who aren't parting with their coins.

A catch 22. That's why they have no interest in the futures market ATM.
eminemcookie

Activity: 364
Merit: 123

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:51:13 PM

The futures volume is 1,600 per day. By comparison, Bitfinex is 50,000+ per day. Plus add in all the other exchanges.

Futures is a huge opportunity for traders to come in who don't want to deal with the complexities and the risk of handling actual coins. Or for institutional traders, who can't deal with it.

You would think the futures volume would be a lot higher. But it's not.

Discuss.

Quite simply bitfinex has been around a long while longer, that's the main thing, second to that I think the actual bitcoin trade will always be bigger than the futures trade, or maybe not but at least for the foreseeable future. Most people have no need for futures as they are speculating that the bitcoin value will increase so they can simply buy bitcoin now and hold it instead of using a futures contract. It's also a new industry and in time it will grow, especially as it begins to be offered in more places and as more people begin to understand the use cases.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
Telegram   Medium   GitHub   Twitter   Reddit   LinkedIn   Facebook
949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:19:10 PM

That is it, people will never understand that you can easily place or just start using futures on another exchange.,
 just like bitfinex, bittrex, poloniex.

In fact, in wherever they have the option to put short/long positions with marging funds, and it is almost on all the exchanges.

If i was on the US, i would not move my ass to put my funds in an economic instution just for doing the same thing that i can do just on my computer.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_