Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:32:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer D3 max temp  (Read 4860 times)
Faustofsky

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:46:38 AM

Hi, I am new (sorry) are we talking PCB temp, or chip Temp? . On my D3 , the PCB Temp is about 55-60 degrees and the chip arround 78 -95 depending on the hour of the day . Is this operating temp, ok? Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wonseok4840

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:41:21 AM

Hi, I am new (sorry) are we talking PCB temp, or chip Temp? . On my D3 , the PCB Temp is about 55-60 degrees and the chip arround 78 -95 depending on the hour of the day . Is this operating temp, ok? Thanks
Do you see anything on the HW error section? If there are a lot of them, then it's not okay. My chip temperature is around 80 to 90 when factoring in the temperature offset there was. At that temperature, I got some HW errors.
Shitcointalk

Activity: 308
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:52:53 AM

This D3 is pretty unstable, nothing to compare with L3+ or S9. And it seems that there is different versions of it, not only different frequency setting.

Anyway, Bitmain over-clocked them to 537 frequency which is too high, unless you live in Siberia. You will most likely have a lot of HW, boards showing xxx everyday, and have to reboot your miner pretty often.
From what I have seen, you should try to stay under 80C to avoid trouble, and extend your D3 life. Seems like a general consensus.
You can set your fan manually at 100% if you don't care about the noise, or you can reduce the frequency until you get something stable. I was running good at 506 with auto fan (now running undervolt / silent mode).

You should focus on the Chip temp. BUT some units have defective temp sensor and get unreliable stats, in that case go for the PCB. Again, 95C is too high, might work for a while, but definitely not good for your miner. keep under 80 as much as possible.
Stargirlinsapporo

Activity: 6
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:28:54 AM

I live in Siberia  Smiley

Was looking for any information about possible lowest operating temperature for D3. It shows -44C today. Was wondering if I put ASIC outside in the shed without heating would it work? Is there any other limitation to overclock except for temperature?
Shitcointalk

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:23:49 AM

I live in Siberia  Smiley

Was looking for any information about possible lowest operating temperature for D3. It shows -44C today. Was wondering if I put ASIC outside in the shed without heating would it work? Is there any other limitation to overclock except for temperature?

-44C...  Shocked  I am freezing just thinking about it !

I have read in another thread that cold isn't such a big deal while running, BUT the miner won't start if it was off for some reason. I think the guy just turned his miners so they would blow hot air at each other, to heat them up.
I think in your case, temperature shouldn't be a problem even if over-clocked a little. You might run under-volt if you over-clock too much, but I guess the HW number will tell you if you are good to go or not. In anyway, I wouldn't over-clocked them too much as they are already OC at 537, and it will damage your hardware faster.

But as I live myself in a tropical country, I am certainly not the best to answer your questions. Maybe try to ask on Blissz firmware topic to get "expert" opinion.
Wananavu99

Activity: 345
Merit: 131

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:24:44 AM

Fan on auto doesn't hit 100% until about 90c,
So I would guess anything under 90c is ok.

Ive never heard of a chip running at 90c being ok. Nvidea 1080 with Asus aftermarket heavy duty heat sinks would have thermal breakdown at 90c. You should contact Bitmain and ask them they usually reply within 3 days,but I would not risk 90c on any device. Weird thing is on D3 i tested the fans kick in 100% when chip reaches 71c,but you say on yours it kicks in at 90C ?

It's common for example for automotive grade chips to support up to 125C. As someone else said, it depends on the chip. Lots of opinions in this thread, but I wonder what are their sources, definitely not a data sheet Smiley This is the only thing I've found in the manual, note that it refers to PCB temp, not the chip:
Note: The D3 miner will stop running when the Temp(PCB) exceeds to 85°C, there will be an error message “Fatal Error: Temperature is too high!” shown in the bottom of kernel log page.

In my case I'll worry if they get close to 90 or if I see more than a few HW errors per hour (the D3 is a useless heater anyway, so why worry?  Angry)

Not if DASH goes up to $2000 it won't be useless anymore and with current projections we may be looking at a DASH price of $2k in either June or July and that's being conservative. 
Stargirlinsapporo

Activity: 6
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 01:47:09 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2017, 02:46:39 PM by Stargirlinsapporo

I live in Siberia  Smiley

I have read in another thread that cold isn't such a big deal while running, BUT the miner won't start if it was off for some reason. I think the guy just turned his miners so they would blow hot air at each other, to heat them up.
I think in your case, temperature shouldn't be a problem even if over-clocked a little. You might run under-volt if you over-clock too much, but I guess the HW number will tell you if you are good to go or not. In anyway, I wouldn't over-clocked them too much as they are already OC at 537, and it will damage your hardware faster.

But as I live myself in a tropical country, I am certainly not the best to answer your questions. Maybe try to ask on Blissz firmware topic to get "expert" opinion.

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestion
As I couldn't find any similar mention online I just had to try temperature conditions myself
This is how I run ASIC miner in cold conditions
It was -44 to -46C outside these days where I leave. So it was clear I had to start the machine up somehow. It was running indoors for sometime first and then I quickly moved it to the unheated shed with all the cables installed. My concern was that when plastic parts get cold at low temperatures they can be easily broken if bended. It appeared that temperature in the shed was much warmer than outside (some particular property of permafrost soils to keep warm) and after asic was plugged soon temperature started to rise.
After 1 day of running asic temperature in the shed rose to +1C which occurred to be very sweet. Fans were running between 2900-3100 (#1) and 3800-4000 (#2) rpm, Temp(PCB) 43-45C, Temp(Chip) 61-63C
Now temperature in the shed is still slowly rising (about +5C at the moment with -43C outside, no heating, asic is making greenhouse effect and heats environment by itself). Fans are increasing speed day by day, so I am thinking to open one small vent hole (Huh) to keep temperature in the shed constantly low.
Still looking for ways to overclock maybe
And perhaps will use produced heat from asic to run small greenhouse in February or March and grow greenies early in the coming year Smiley
Happy coming New Year! Smiley
isukabtc

Activity: 78

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:49:02 AM

I got D3 with 19.3 Ghs speed, ambience temp is 16c, and I put the hot air from miner to outside. With default set (19.3 ghs) its temperature has 1 chain 77C and 2 chain 84C with 0% error. I dont know what temperature I got if my AC turn off and I dont dare to try it Undecided

Its feel like D3 has better durability OR they just push the chip to push the sales, then stop production to make less risk for them since there are no D3 in hashnest..
Shitcointalk

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:40:51 PM

I live in Siberia  Smiley

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestion
As I couldn't find any similar mention online I just had to try temperature conditions myself
This is how I run ASIC miner in cold conditions
It was -44 to -46C outside these days where I leave. So it was clear I had to start the machine up somehow. It was running indoors for sometime first and then I quickly moved it to the unheated shed with all the cables installed. My concern was that when plastic parts get cold at low temperatures they can be easily broken if bended. It appeared that temperature in the shed was much warmer than outside (some particular property of permafrost soils to keep warm) and after asic was plugged soon temperature started to rise.
After 1 day of running asic temperature in the shed rose to +1C which occurred to be very sweet. Fans were running between 2900-3100 (#1) and 3800-4000 (#2) rpm, Temp(PCB) 43-45C, Temp(Chip) 61-63C
Now temperature in the shed is still slowly rising (about +5C at the moment with -43C outside, no heating, asic is making greenhouse effect and heats environment by itself). Fans are increasing speed day by day, so I am thinking to open one small vent hole (Huh) to keep temperature in the shed constantly low.
Still looking for ways to overclock maybe
And perhaps will use produced heat from asic to run small greenhouse in February or March and grow greenies early in the coming year Smiley
Happy coming New Year! Smiley

I would say: try to keep it between +5C and +15C so you don't have to worry about frozen plastic, or miner that won't start because of the cold. Plus it will be perfect to start your seedling earlier in the season !
Shitcointalk

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:45:41 PM

I got D3 with 19.3 Ghs speed, ambience temp is 16c, and I put the hot air from miner to outside. With default set (19.3 ghs) its temperature has 1 chain 77C and 2 chain 84C with 0% error. I dont know what temperature I got if my AC turn off and I dont dare to try it Undecided

Its feel like D3 has better durability OR they just push the chip to push the sales, then stop production to make less risk for them since there are no D3 in hashnest..

You shouldn't stay over 80C, even without HW. Lower the frequency a little so you don't burn your miner too fast.
isukabtc

Activity: 78

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:07:42 PM

You shouldn't stay over 80C, even without HW. Lower the frequency a little so you don't burn your miner too fast.

Sad... It was good almost a week. I will use blissz firmway now, its already hw anyway (5%)..
fbturin

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 09:01:32 AM

Thank you guys! You have been so helpful!

I just got mine yesterday and the chip was running up to 81. So now that I lowed the frequency to 487 the HWs have gone WAY down and the temp is under 80 now. And now it is showing all circles instead of mostly X's on the first chip.

Hash rate went up to 17.7 too. I live in Florida but I'm keeping it in the house. I have a floor fan blowing in the room it's in too. When summer comes i'll have to keep a close eye but I think most of the heat is coming from the unit itself.

Thanks again for your help guys. The last poster that showed the response from their customer service was a big help. I'd rather this unit last a long time instead of burning it up!

And yes I do think dash will get up to a grand this year too. This is going to be a good money maker!

take care,

frtiz
charlie137

Activity: 1204
Merit: 220

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 02:24:06 PM

i know its an old thread and d3 profit is $1.6 at constant exchange flow, but i can not find the information regarding chip temp. some people stating that over 70 is not good, other opinion goes with 80 as normal temp since chips are targeted for heavy duty usage. using custom firmware to reduce fan speed since 3Ghs difference is not worth the electric expenses. could somebody share specs fror chip manufacturers? couldn't find anything useful on texas indstrs

/__      ___ (  /    
\\--`-'-|`---\\ |      AXErunners
 |' _/   ` __/ / 
 '._  W    ,--'     
    |_:_._/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: