Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:56:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Netflix does not accept prepaid visa cards  (Read 9994 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 12:54:24 AM

Due to a debit card mixup, I've been going since Dec 1st without paying for my Netflix subscription, among other things.  So i bought a prepaid, only to discover that...

1) Online merchants can tell if a Visa card number is a prepaid and...

2) Netflix doesn't accept them.

Bastards.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vinnie

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 02:29:06 AM

Well that's lame. I'm sure it's because:

A. Recurrent billing would eventually run out, and they'd lose customers who don't feel the service is worth it and forget to cancel (I've been in this category

B. Someone might steal $20 worth of DVDs. Oh no!

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 02:50:18 AM

It's Netflix's choice!

But fortunately, the customers can decide to leave NetFlix.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 03:27:57 AM

I had a similar experience:

USAA checking accounts let you deposit funds from a mastercard, no delay, no transaction fee.

The first time I used my own Mastercard -- worked great.

The next time I tried a stored value Mastercard from the grocery store and Bzzzt, thank you for playing.

But that comes in handy w/ USAA.  I get 0.5% cash back when I pay using my USAA Mastercard as well.  You know, for times when Bitcoin is not yet accepted.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 04:50:03 AM

It's Netflix's choice!

But fortunately, the customers can decide to leave NetFlix.

Any recommendations on an alternative?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 06:09:24 AM

BitTorrent or read a book.  Smiley

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Anonymous

December 11, 2010, 11:06:37 AM

http://www.lmptfy.com/?q=movie

Grin
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 10:50:27 PM

BitTorrent or read a book.  Smiley

I've been know to do both, ocassionally at the same time, but I can (yet) watch AVI's on my TV.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 10:54:08 PM

VLC?

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 10:59:51 PM

Sigh ... I guess now you'll have to resort to the last resort, TPB. 

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
sarah331

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 08:40:25 PM

That's a bummer, but I know they have their reasons.  Likes someone else pointed out:  eventually the pre-paid card would run out, and they wouldn't know where to charge the next month's bill.  You could get away with a few DVDs, but if you told your friends it could become an epidemic.  They are just saving their own behinds Smiley  They're business men and women too.  I'm sure you understand Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: