Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:35:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Alternative Coin Suggestions  (Read 657 times)
david64 (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 11:03:20 PM by david64

Evening,

Like many others, I am awaiting new cryptos that bring something new to the table; and not just an LTC clone, with services in development that would be better off developed for LTC.

I've had a number of ideas for coins that I believe that would become established, and not forgotten like ChinaCoin. Although I don't expect these to become the next, USD, I do think they will make valuable contributions. Although I have the time to work on such ideas, I do not know C++. So I'd like to put these ideas out there in the hope they will inspire the creator(s) of the next CloneCoin.

Tor Coin - A coin that is generated by contributing bandwidth to the Tor network - thus monetising the anonymization of Internet traffic.
Torrent Coin - A coin that is generated by seeding torrents. Could also back a decentralised torrent search, with comments and ratings - no more blocking PB et. al., ads & pop-ups.
IM Coin - A decentralised IM client; coins are generated by backing the network. Doesn't give the NSA et. al. a central point of snooping.
SETI Coin - Widely suggested; a coin that is generated by helping search for signals in space. There are plenty of similar science-related coins that could be created.
Transcription/Knowledge Coin - This is one that could be very tricky to avoid churning out low quality junk - a coin that is generated by transcribing or extracting data from documents. There are a vast array of documents in archives, libraries etc. that like the Internet hold unique information. This project could help provide access to these otherwise hidden sources. The problem would be in verifying legitimate input. Naturally, records would have to be checked, but I a struggling to find a way to avoid potential abuses with this. There is one project I know of that does this - Family Search Indexing, which has indexed billions of names in documents. If there were a monetary incentive, it would make volunteers time more worth while, but also add the abuse angel.
Dole Coin - Rough idea: A coin that seeks to replace social security schemes. Not though of any specifics beyond that.
Justice Coin - A coin that is generated, and via some mechanism (unstipulated), funds are transferred to a group who undertake legal cases that may otherwise never happen, e.g. prosecuting Monsanto.
WikiLeaks Coin - A decentralised WikiLeaks, adding a further veil for whistle-blowers. I'm not exactly sure how the coins would be minted, but I am sure someone could think of something.
Bono-Geldof Coin - A coin, 100% of which is donated to foundations operated by Bob Geldof & Bono, under the instruction that 97% of coins should be used to create stomach-churning commercials staring smug celebrities revealing in their own grace.

For new coins, I am thinking of anything that is currently achieved through donations and volunteering - things which are important, and often encourage freedom, but are not as established as they could be due to the nature of volunteering and donating.

Would be interested to hear expansions and other ideas for new coins, particularly those that have some purpose beyond transactions.

I'm expecting it to be brought up, so, yes, there would have to be a method of validating transaction and for some coins fluctuation diff. I don't think this needs to be discussed here though.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 11:07:12 PM

For some of these applications, a Ripple clone might be much better than a proof of work based blockchain. Though maybe a pure proof of stake based chain could work.

For example if the Tor foundation had the Toripples of a Toripple setup, no paying of miners would be needed and they could issue the Toripples to useful nodes...

The big problem of proof of work blockchains for financing things is they are INSANELY expensive, typically paying over 100% of their wealth to miners. (All coins mined plus transaction fees.)

Since Tor is free open source software, possibly once DeVCoin's market cap is large enough DeVCoin could sponsor Tor nodes. All kinds of such things are very possible, it is simply a matter of getting DeVCoin's market cap to a level where a particular such project can reasonably be financed. So maybe just buckling down to the work of getting DeVCoin's market cap growing is all it will take for it to be just a matter for time for such projects to to be done...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
david64 (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:08:34 PM

Toripple

I like the name. But isn't Ripple closed source?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 11:13:13 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 11:28:54 PM by markm

Toripple

I like the name. But isn't Ripple closed source?

Well maybe maybe not. Its similar to the question of whether Butterfly Labs is really going to deliver all the ASICs people have ordered. Maybe later this year? Maybe next year? Maybe after a few patents have been thrown in the way of anyone being able to actually use the open source version? Stay tuned another two weeks for more excuses/news/details...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:27:44 PM

Well there is this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246463.0 but its not a coin, it is being developed as a currency. The beta test is going great and hopefully by the end of July it will be ready for release.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 11:34:52 PM

I am still hoping that financing Tor and I2P nodes might be feasible by the indirect route of making them necessary components of something else, something that does have income.

For example maybe some kind of interstellar hypergate tunnels game in which the gate addresses happen to be i2p or Tor addresses.

It wouldn't fund all nodes, only those that run the game or that are verifiably benefiting the game's own network of such nodes.

Hopefully the game will also use "CPU mining" in the sense described at http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cpu_mining as a means of initially distributing currency, so that proof of work style mining will not be needed for initial distribution of funds as well as not being needed for securing the network/ledger/balances/transactions.

-MarkM-

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: