Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:41:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful what you're running! - .Jar instant stealer  (Read 3663 times)
chris267 (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:06:40 PM

Just a heads up to all your people who have a wallet.dat saved on your computer.

New virus coded in java will automatically send your funds to an address without you even knowing,

demonstration video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7Qx9x780RE0

Since compiled size of this .jar file is just 4KB you are very susceptible to online web exploits with such a small file,

It's also FUD meaning its fully undetectable by all antiviruses, since it is also coded in java and not your standard executeable (.exe) it is harder for AV's to pickup detections making the file stay undetected for a very long time..

My best advice:

Anti-viruses will not save your ass in such a scenario, I personally know that viruses are able to bypass AV's, the best freeware available is malwarebytes, have a full scan of your syste,

Malwarebytes PRO is even better - there is constant filesystem protection and website scanning as you browse your computer, it works much better in comparison to ALL AV's (believe me I've tested it) and also allows you to do flash scan to analyze memory and autorun objects.

If anyone requires any help with cleaning their system or Q's post here/PM and ill do my best to help
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:09:43 PM

How about just deactivating java in your browser?
chris267 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:12:38 PM

That wouldn't be an option, deactivating java in your browser doesn't stop 0day exploits from downloading/executing .jar files onto your system
Ethicoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:19:25 PM

That wouldn't be an option, deactivating java in your browser doesn't stop 0day exploits from downloading/executing .jar files onto your system

Are you sure about this? I mean you did say in your OP "it's also FUD" which actually means it is just misinformation trying to scare people!

Cheesy

Just thought that was particularly funny  Wink
chris267 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

Are you sure about this? I mean you did say in your OP "it's also FUD" which actually means it is just misinformation trying to scare people!

Cheesy

I don't see the joke? Well English isn't my first language.. I try  Grin
h3x

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:33:13 PM

My 2 cents (as an experienced systems administrator and bitcoin newbie):

Nothing will help better than safe browsing practices and an up to date anti-virus solution. The cat and mouse game of the virus creators and the anti-virus companies will always be an issue. That virus creator only has to be right once to get his hands on your important data.

I have a blockchain.info account but I keep my main wallet on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine. The VM has full disk encryption (truecrypt), all Microsoft security patches are installed, and it is turned off when not in use. It only runs armory, bitcoin-qt and anti-virus. Only downside is it usually only takes about 30-60 minutes to sync back up with the blockchain after being turned off for a few days

I also plan on setting up a completely offline wallet using ubuntu on an older netbook that I can stash in a safe.

I don't have too much money in bitcoin right now but I hope to see my mining and monthly deposits reach some serious worth.

I like to think I am very security conscious but maybe I am just paranoid
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:37:07 PM

That's why i don't use JAVA..

Ethicoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:44:36 PM

Nothing will help better than safe browsing practices and an up to date anti-virus solution. The cat and mouse game of the virus creators and the anti-virus companies will always be an issue. That virus creator only has to be right once to get his hands on your important data.

I have a blockchain.info account but I keep my main wallet on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine. The VM has full disk encryption (truecrypt), all Microsoft security patches are installed, and it is turned off when not in use. It only runs armory, bitcoin-qt and anti-virus. Only downside is it usually only takes about 30-60 minutes to sync back up with the blockchain after being turned off for a few days

I also plan on setting up a completely offline wallet using ubuntu on an older netbook that I can stash in a safe.

I don't have too much money in bitcoin right now but I hope to see my mining and monthly deposits reach some serious worth.

No this isn't paranoid - this is smart Smiley

You could just use Electrum in your Windows VM to get around the blockchain syncing problem.

Also you could make a paper wallet and send your coins there Smiley
OpenYourEyes

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:21:23 PM

Cheesy

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, but FUD in the security scene = Fully Undetectable

takemybitcoins.com: Spend a few seconds entering a merchants email address to encourage them to accept Bitcoin
PGP key | Bitmessage: BM-GuCA7CkQ8ojXSFGrREpMDuWgv495FUX7
nqzdepofltr

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:43:52 PM

This scam is also running with Bitcoin "Wallet hackers". Usually it includes a smtp stealer which sends your wallet to the scammer.
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:45:49 PM

This scam is also running with Bitcoin "Wallet hackers". Usually it includes a smtp stealer which sends your wallet to the scammer.

Yup..

chris267 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:47:56 PM

Cheesy

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, but FUD in the security scene = Fully Undetectable

Exactly what I thought.
chris267 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:53:46 PM

Hi sir, I take it you're not fully aware of remote administration tools? If you are sorry..

Ok, an up to date anti-virus will be near to nothing when it comes to being effective against a virus. Those who create viruses are also aware of how to change variables and methods of injecting a file so that the anti-virus will not pick up any data, this can vary from simply changing icon to binding a program so that when virus is ran a fake program is ran too.

My point is that you can still be infected if you have up to date antivirus.

On the discussion of a remote administration tool, it gains unathorised access to your whole computer, meaning the hacker can scavage throughout all your files, and search for files which the hacker may deem valuable, in this case wallet.dat or whatever other crypto-currency data files you may have. Your idea of keeping the wallet offline is the only true method of being 100% protected, where the computer doesn't have an internet connection it is more likely to remain safe.

rashly

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:55:40 PM

Make sure to encrypt your wallet with a very long, complex password.
chris267 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:58:56 PM

Makes no difference if you encrypted your wallet with the password Password1 or encrypted your wallet with the Password vutHAspaSPaf3#J A keylogger records all strokes and thus the hacker if gains remote access can not only steal your wallet but also know your encryption password.

Thanks
chris267 (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:26:35 PM

Makes no difference if you encrypted your wallet with the password Password1 or encrypted your wallet with the Password vutHAspaSPaf3#J A keylogger records all strokes and thus the hacker if gains remote access can not only steal your wallet but also know your encryption password.

Thanks

Bit of a noob question, but when I have to enter a password I tend to create it by cutting/pasting/rearranging from existing text. Am I wasting my time or does this help to throw keyloggers?

Hi since keyloggers only record keystrokes, what you're doing is a very good idea, something I do myself too. Also, I tend to use on-screen keyboard which can be found on all computers running windows. It prevents any keyloggers from recording precious data, I only use this when entering passwords (obviously)

This may seem a bit over the top.. but remote administration tools can view your whole computer screen, a few youtube searches of RAT's will reveal to you just how powerful they are once hackers have access to your computer. So cutting and pasting there's still that risk thrown in
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:29:34 PM

I received this in an email today!   Undecided

can you please forward it to me at my email escrowms@gmail.com for analysis.
h3x

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:38:51 PM

Hi sir, I take it you're not fully aware of remote administration tools? If you are sorry..

Ok, an up to date anti-virus will be near to nothing when it comes to being effective against a virus. Those who create viruses are also aware of how to change variables and methods of injecting a file so that the anti-virus will not pick up any data, this can vary from simply changing icon to binding a program so that when virus is ran a fake program is ran too.

My point is that you can still be infected if you have up to date antivirus.

On the discussion of a remote administration tool, it gains unathorised access to your whole computer, meaning the hacker can scavage throughout all your files, and search for files which the hacker may deem valuable, in this case wallet.dat or whatever other crypto-currency data files you may have. Your idea of keeping the wallet offline is the only true method of being 100% protected, where the computer doesn't have an internet connection it is more likely to remain safe.

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree that an offline wallet is the safest thing.

I am also very aware of RATs though. My point was that by not using this system for anything other than hosting my wallet there I am greatly reducing my risk of such an infection. Someone would have to find a way to exploit the Armory or Bitcoin-qt through the open sockets it uses to communicate to drop such a RAT onto my wallet system. This risk is greatly lessened because both applications are open source so their code can be scrutinized. Or I suppose they could use a zero day to exploit the operating system itself, but keeping the system fulling patched and not running unnecessary Windows services further mitigates this risk. Not to mention the system is off most of the time so it has no attack surface in that state.

Except maybe if someone were to gain access to the system hosting the VM and copy the VM files to their own system. In this case the truecrypt encryption protecting the entire hard drive on the machine would prevent someone from firing it up and attacking it that way.

The anti-virus is just best practice for any Windows operating system and will help with known threats.
samo

Activity: 46

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:53:11 PM

I also use sandboxie so if by chance any crap has a chance to get onto my pc its stuck in a sandbox and not my pc unless i give it permission to.
JSMill

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:56:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: