Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:00:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: RX580 Nitro+ Stopped Working...HELP!  (Read 539 times)
Amereum (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:37:29 PM

This is my first post but indeed not the type of first post I wanted to make..

I am mining with 3 RX580 Nitro+ 8gb cards using claymore, all temperatures were <70degs
The cards were running default drivers, custom BIOS (mentioned here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPCwJV_ryM)
Been using Sapphire Trixx to set Core to 1340, Mem to 2250, -96mV
Motherboard: ASUS Z270-P
--
All of a sudden the card was started hashing at 4.xx Mh..
I turned off the rig, disconnected the other two cards, connected HDMI to the card, rebooted..

Upon booting into windows, fans spin for 3 secs, screen flickers then turns to normal for 3 seconds.. REPEATS for 3-4 times.. then display stays on!
I removed the riser, installed GPU to motherboard directly, same thing happens..
I turned off the rig, connected HDMI to the MB directly, rebooted, removed all drivers using AMD clean uninstall utility and reinstalled the latest drivers.

The other two cards now work fine, fans spin upon turning the rig on, boot into windows, both cards recognized.

The stubborn card however, is not detected, no fans spin at any point of boot..
Not showing in device manager, not showing in AtiFlash, or GPU-Z..

I tried switching the BIOS switch on the card, rebooted, same thing.

The only indicators of life I have now are the LED's (turning on and going through the usual patten), the card is also warm to the touch in this state.

Is the card dead?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:41:22 PM

if the fans are not spinning and the card is not recognized then its dead.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
radeone

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 09:43:55 PM

try unplugging the ones that work and isolate the one that isnt working to make 100 percent sure. i have had this problem in windows.... i dont mine on windows anymore because of the whole hassle. although i did have an msi 470 armor fail on me and i had to rma it they just sent me my money back. hope you get it fixed. good luck.

ICO IS NOW LIVE    ▐┃▌    1WORLD ONLINE    ▐┃▌    WHITEPAPER
✣ ✣ ✣ ┃ Revolutionizing ONLINE MEDIA with BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY and incentives for AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT™ ┃ ✣ ✣ ✣
ANN \ / TELEGRAM \ / FACEBOOK \ / WHATSAPP \ / TWITTER \ / KAKAOTALK
Johny101010

Activity: 218

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:03:34 PM

I would just use that card, unplug all others, disable igpu and than boot on a Linux distro. If it works, it is Windows if not time to rma that card.

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 10:14:10 PM

What version of windows are you using ?
I hope u used the modded bios with the same bios number what you originally had on your card
If you using modded bios with different bios version number , you have a chance to kill all your gpu's !!!
Do you have automatic updates enabled on your computer ?
check if you get some unwanted updates .
use  DDU, remove the drivers
plug in the non working card let see what  happening

"I turned off the rig, disconnected the other two cards, connected HDMI to the card, rebooted..

Upon booting into windows, fans spin for 3 secs, screen flickers then turns to normal for 3 seconds.. REPEATS for 3-4 times.. then display stays on!"

So you have problem to boot into windows ? can you see the bios post ? can you boot into your bios with the bad card and monitor connected to the  "bad" card ?

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:14:19 PM

Remove the drivers in safe mode using DDU. Then shutdown and remove all of the cards and connect the card that's not working in a different PCI-E slot that was working together with another card that's working, so you can boot back in to Windows and see if reinstalling the drivers fixes it.
Amereum (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:48:09 PM

if the fans are not spinning and the card is not recognized then its dead.

The cards are only about 2 weeks old.
I live in Kuwait and this is the first time I have purchased from the retailer where I got the cards from.
Some retailers do play games and refuse to exchange merchandise after box has been opened.
I will try to take it there tomorrow and request an exchange, otherwise.. I'll send it directly to AMD.

If the card is dead, any chance they will know I flashed the BIOS?
Does BIOS flashing void the warranty?

try unplugging the ones that work and isolate the one that isnt working to make 100 percent sure.

I did isolate the card, no risers being used. It doesn't work when connecting to the motherboard.

I would just use that card, unplug all others, disable igpu and than boot on a Linux distro. If it works, it is Windows if not time to rma that card.

I doubt it's windows, otherwise the other cards wouldn't work.
I will however try booting into UBUNTU and see what happens.

What version of windows are you using ?

I'm using Windows 10..

I hope u used the modded bios with the same bios number what you originally had on your card
If you using modded bios with different bios version number , you have a chance to kill all your gpu's !!!

I have just checked one of the good cards, noted the current modded bios number, re flashed the original bios.. and the numbers match. So yes, the BIOS version is the same according to GPU-Z

Do you have automatic updates enabled on your computer ?
check if you get some unwanted updates .
use  DDU, remove the drivers
plug in the non working card let see what  happening

Interesting, I got an update within the past 48 hours.. Although I'm surprised only 1/3 cards is not working, who knows.. it might be something related. Will get back to you on this! Thanks!

So you have problem to boot into windows ? can you see the bios post ? can you boot into your bios with the bad card and monitor connected to the  "bad" card ?

No signal at all starting up the computer while connected to the bad card. Screen doesn't see a signal when connected to the bad card. I can boot into windows fine with the motherboard's built in display adapter and with the other two cards.

Two more pieces of info:

When checking things with Sapphire Trixx, both cards go back to 0 Clock, 0 Mem..
It's like something is setting them to turn off..

Also, I've just discovered that I have 1 bad riser.. it is probably the riser that caused this mess.
I tried connected a good card to it, and the card doesn't work..
Tried a different riser, good card works fine.

I now have a bad card and a bad riser!

Question....

If the card is indeed DEAD.. Electrically or otherwise..
Will AMD ship me another card? (I will take it to the shop tomorrow and see what they say)
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:52:58 PM

All warranties of AMD stuff need to go through the manufacturer. I doubt that the retail shop that sold it would replace it. They could see that you have a modded bios but in my experience they will RMA the card.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Amereum (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:58:03 PM

All warranties of AMD stuff need to go through the manufacturer. I doubt that the retail shop that sold it would replace it. They could see that you have a modded bios but in my experience they will RMA the card.

That's comforting. Thanks!

I will still go to the shop tomorrow and will claim that the risers they sold me damaged one of the cards (which is a possibility)

I'm not comfortable with the SAPPHIRE TRIXX setting everything to ZERO on it's own even with the good cards.. I might just rebuild the whole setup and reinstall windows and disable all updates etc..

Things are going haywire and I don't have control over what's going on as I did before
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:03:54 PM

The retailers, no. Sapphire yes but your warranty is with retailers not Sapphire.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Amereum (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:14:36 PM

The retailers, no. Sapphire yes but your warranty is with retailers not Sapphire.

So I'm supposed to take it back to the retailer and they'll send it to AMD?
Johny101010

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:24:18 PM

Where did you buy it and how long ago?

Amereum (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:29:33 PM

Where did you buy it and how long ago?

I'm in Kuwait.
Bought everything from a shop at the local computer mall (GPUs, risers, the whole rig).
Johny101010

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:32:27 PM

IDK Kuwait. I'd say take them to the store first and than call sapphire.
As long as Sapphire has a official retailer in your country you should get new ones.

Amereum (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:38:04 PM

As long as Sapphire has a official retailer in your country you should get new ones.

Going to the store at 8 A.M tomorrow..
Will demand a replacement GPU and riser.. I'll play dumb and say I don't know about sapphire, etc..

"I bought these from you and now they're not working, you said 3 year warranty"
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:22:37 AM

That's comforting. Thanks!

I will still go to the shop tomorrow and will claim that the risers they sold me damaged one of the cards (which is a possibility)

I'm not comfortable with the SAPPHIRE TRIXX setting everything to ZERO on it's own even with the good cards.. I might just rebuild the whole setup and reinstall windows and disable all updates etc..

Things are going haywire and I don't have control over what's going on as I did before

since you are using a modified bios, you better restore the original bios otherwise YOU WILL NOT GET A GPU BACK, putting a modded bios on a gpu voids the warrenty

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:27:08 AM

Will demand a replacement GPU and riser.. I'll play dumb and say I don't know about sapphire, etc..

good luck trying to play dumb its a bad idea since you already know. taking it back to the retail place will be useless, gpus have to be sent back to the manufacturer not the place of which you bought it from, btw most warranties come from the manufacturer. I'm currently RMAing a sapphire tech gpu, more specifically an rx 480 8gb OC, don't send out that gpu out before restoring the original bios, btw when doing RMA you have to pay for the shipping to ship the gpu to there facility and on a side note they do bench them and check bios's

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 05:52:26 AM

good luck trying to play dumb its a bad idea since you already know. taking it back to the retail place will be useless, gpus have to be sent back to the manufacturer not the place of which you bought it from, btw most warranties come from the manufacturer. I'm currently RMAing a sapphire tech gpu, more specifically an rx 480 8gb OC, don't send out that gpu out before restoring the original bios, btw when doing RMA you have to pay for the shipping to ship the gpu to there facility and on a side note they do bench them and check bios's

Ive shipped back bricked cards with modded bioses to Saphire and MSI with no issues, but to be safe yeah reflash them if you can, modding the bios is supposed to be covered

under waranty, its phiscal damage that they dont cover
fondorn

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 09:16:11 PM

Hi,
have a similar problem with AORUS XTR RX580, 2 cards were not recognized, DDU + new drivers (17.8.2),
one is alive, one is stubborn (with fast fan rotation non stop) -  now I can see it as a hidden device in Device Manager (Windows 10), tried
different drivers -old, new, AMD messages about wrong drivers. What should or could be done(except "1+8" BIOS)to save it ? Thanks in advance.  
Johny101010

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 10:43:09 PM

Hi,
have a similar problem with AORUS XTR RX580, 2 cards were not recognized, DDU + new drivers (17.8.2),
one is alive, one is stubborn (with fast fan rotation non stop) -  now I can see it as a hidden device in Device Manager (Windows 10), tried
different drivers -old, new, AMD messages about wrong drivers. What should or could be done(except "1+8" BIOS)to save it ? Thanks in advance.  
If you think it is a driver issue try simple mining OS. It is very easy to set up and is Linux based do it will tell you if the driver is the culprit. You can put it in a USB stick.
If the same thing happens flash stock bios and try again.

fondorn

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 11:12:21 PM

Thanks a lot,
I will definitely try it!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: