Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 01:09:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to detect a scam ICO?  (Read 2456 times)
abcd7

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:53:57 PM

I believe with a GOOD research on the internet and forums discussions you will detect which one is scam.
Keihatsu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

crypto revolution

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:12:37 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2017, 08:48:44 PM by Keihatsu

1. Trust your instinct:
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.
If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right.

2. Never believe the hype, do your own research and do not rely on the opinions of others:
Most people have a vested interest of some description.
Either driven by investment, greed, bounties and site traffic.

3. Use real-world standards of due diligence:
If someone knocked on your door and said I have a great business plan, Bill Gates loves it, here's a photo of the highly qualified team and here's a bloke called Dave who thinks it's a great investment and this time next year we'll be millionaires - you wouldn't hand over a month's salary, would you!?

Specifically, things like:

(a) Support, partnerships and contracts with well-known brands:

If someone claims to have support, a partnership or contract with a well-known brand ask for verified proof: a contract, announcement from the brand or an article from a trusted news source.
Every time I have challenged these claims they turn out to be untrue or tenuous at best.

e.g. Hero Token claimed to have the support of Alibaba
It turns out that Pawn Hero, an already established business, received start-up funding from an investment arm of Alibaba. Alibaba was not funding or endorsing the Pawn Hero ICO.

(b)Can you verify the team:
Do they exist, are their credentials correct and are they really connected to the project?
For me, they need to be on LinkedIn (or similar), possibly media profile, linked to an institution, publication or other online profile and I need to have made contact / spoken to the team directly.
Wagerr is a good example of a team that is legitimate. The CEO checked out and engaged with me on day one. To be fair, so did the CEO of Pawn Hero.
Scam teams should be easy to spot.
I once emailed a highly qualified Chinese lawyer - he knew nothing about the project and was livid to see his photo on the ICO website.
CEOs of legitimate businesses engage with their shareholders.

4. Do the team give the impression that it can deliver?
What is the team's track-record?
Do they have a working product or any sign of progress?

5. Do the team provide regular updates and meet their milestones?
Credibility is really important.
Sometimes, particularly when a project is a first, things will slip. A good team will keep you posted and have a good reason for a delay.

6. Does the project look professional?
Does the ICO, website, white paper, engagement and communication give the impression of a team that can deliver?
We are talking about ground-breaking projects with the potential to change the world.
If they can't design a decent website or run a well though ICO...

7. Who controls the tokens and is the project centralised or decentralised?
If the team control the majority of token or the project is centralised the market can easier be manipulated - against investors and in favour of the team.

8. What is the team's attitude?
I only do business with people I like and can trust.
SALT threatened to boot me from their telegram because they had a rule that investors were not allowed to speculate about the post-ICO token price!
I'm not saying that SALT is a scam, but really! Needless to say, not a team for me.

9. Major rewards for the team should e held in escrow
If the team become millionaires overnight at ICO, where is the motivation to succeed?
A team should have their operating costs calculated pre-ICO and only need enough, initially, to make its milestone.
Additional rewards should be linked to success/completion of milestones.

10. Only trust reliable sources of information
Fake news is easy to create (and can look quite convincing) and some sources will literally publish anything.
Is this source reliable? Don't be afraid to contact the journalist or company.

11. How does the team respond to challenging but sensible questions?
A genuine team will engage and do their best to answer.
A scam team will avoid answering the question or most probably ban you from the forum.

12. When you find a good team and credible project, be patience
Good projects will take time to deliver.
Scams often want you to believe that you can get rich quick e.g. +550% in 4 weeks (with no working project of evidence of work). It's hype and will fail relatively quickly. That said, even if it is a scam, it is possible to make a few quid in the short-term. However, morally, I couldn't invest in a scam.
The best rewards will come to those who wait, most probably 2-5 years time.

Happy investing  Wink.

faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.
yourialfa

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:23:18 PM

Find out who is from the team of a project. Are they real true? Or they are just a scam. if they are real they certainly have social media to communicate or other.
iwouldntknow

Activity: 87

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:04:59 PM

I just use my handy flow chart.  It looks something like this.

Is this a scam?
                                                      l
                                                      l   
                                          I'm not sure.  Is it an ICO?
                                                         l
                                           -------------------------
                                           l                               l
                                   No, not an ICO.               Yes,it's an ICO. 
                                            l                                   l
                                       probably a scam.           Yes,it's a scam. 
ludbega

Activity: 840
Merit: 659

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 08:36:01 PM

Is this a scam?
                                                      l
                                                      l   
                                                         l

Totally Agree. Lot of good companies started with no ICO. But, it's just a good prevention. In fact, some of ICO are nice success : Lisk, Waves... But yes, the graph is correct in the majority of cases

Un tiens vaut mieux que 2 tu l'auras
NutMasterTardd2

Activity: 153

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:38:40 PM

Research every bit of information about the ICO in thorough detail. Go through every team member (If there are team members) and every link to do with the project, if there doesn't seem to be much information or no leads about anything to do with it then I would assume it is made up out of thin air and probably a scam. Of course this isn't the case for all projects like this but the majority I have seen seem to be scams, and I fell for one a few years ago but only sent 0.04 BTC at the time it wasn't much at all. Don't buy into Hype, as you will probably just end up losing money. Take time to research and don't invest until you are certain and if you aren't just avoid it, there will be other ICOs to invest in.

:: Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer ::
bhoybitcoin

Activity: 336

“Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics”

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:42:15 PM

You should always look up all of the members on the team and see if they really exist and have the experience they claim they have.  I always avoid ICO's with an anonymous team since it's just too risky even though it's not necessarily means it's a scam. 

Thanks Sr. What you said was really helpful. I'm still thinking and seeking some infos specially when it comes to scam ICOs. We cannot prevent it though what I do is study the ico first before I join in.

Olatunjex

Activity: 1064
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:04:16 PM

Its very easy to detect a scam ico the number one thing you have to consider is the dev behind the coin,  are they real and open to the investorsinvestors.  Secondly their roadmap.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●      T W I T T E R      ●      T E L E G R A M      ●      M E D I U M      ●
romeo111

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:57:37 PM

Dear it is very difficult.

But i think we have some of way.

first research and check it's related to ANN thred or ERC20 .
second check all information about the team member, it's anonymous team or not. and read white paper, then you will visit official website.
Most important who is the campaign manager?   
bitcoinmaniac52

Activity: 532

Presale is live!

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 10:58:04 PM

Is this a scam?
                                                      l
                                                      l   
                                                         l

LOL dude you put a lot of effort into this post for a Junior Member... I have high hopes for you.

▄▄█████████▄▄      █████████████▄▄       █████████████▄▄        █████     █████        █████   ███████████████████    ██▄                ▄██
   ███████████████▄    ████████████████▄     ████████████████▄      █████     ██████       █████   ███████████████████    ████▄            ▄████
  █████▀     ▀▀███▀    █████     ▀▀█████▄    █████     ▀▀█████▄     █████     ███████      █████          █████           ██████▄        ▄██████
 █████          ▀      █████        ▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀██     █████     ████████     █████          █████           ████████▄    ▄████████
 █████▄                ███▀▀                                          ▀▀█     █████████    █████          █████            ▀██████▀    ▀██████▀
 ▀██████▄▄               ▄▄▄        ▄████    ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄       ▄         ██████████   █████          █████              ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀
  ▀█████████▄▄         █████     ▄▄█████▀    █████     ▄▄█████▀     ███▄▄       ▀▀█ █████  █████          █████                  ▄██████▄
     ▀▀█████▀  ▄▄▄     ████████████████▀     ████████████████▀      █████     ▄▄     ▀▀▀██ █████          █████                ▄██████████▄
         ▀▀ ▄█████▄    █████████████▀▀       ██████████████▀        █████     ████▄       ▀▀▀███          █████              ▄██████████████▄
             ▀█████    █████                 █████     █████        █████     █████    ▄▄▄                █████            ▄████████▀▀████████▄
 ▄█▄          █████    █████                 █████      █████       █████     █████     █████▄▄▄
          █████           ████████▀    ▀████████
▄████▄▄     ▄█████     █████                 █████       █████      █████     █████      ███████
          ▀████           ██████▀        ▀██████
▀████████████████      █████                 █████        █████     █████     █████       ██████
            ▀██           ████▀            ▀████
  ▀▀██████████▀▀       █████                 █████         █████    █████     █████        █████
              ▀           ██▀                ▀██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
Whitepaper
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread

██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██

Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
hdtqisg

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 11:38:26 PM

Seaching and finding more before invest! Don't see only infomation!
enawati

Activity: 574
Merit: 102

https://adonx.one

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 12:10:29 AM

I think to detect the scam ICO is now a bit difficult because of too much ICO,  but the important think is to know their team founder's profile, its true they are really solid and professional, read the white paper carefully whether the project really can solve a problem.  Also sharing with professional advicer and look for other review in youtube, forum in here or github.

thechex

Activity: 140

The CHEX Token | www.TheChex.com

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2017, 12:27:54 AM

without initial business development, I think ICOs are just speculation and that is why these coins are so risky

Agreed, the ones raising on a concept are riskier on paper, and then look to the team and their track record heavily.  Our current CHEX token sale has a developed platform (started in 2014) and beta launched, with user interest growing:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2112470.msg21120617#msg21120617

CHEX tokensale
Powering Supply Chain Distribution & B2B Exchange    •    Launched Cannabis Hemp Exchange (CHEX)
BITCOINTALK     ⨳     WEBSITE     ⨳    TELEGRAM
thechex

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2017, 12:37:56 AM

Look for a highly transparent team with a track record, and strong community engagement. Highly respectable when routinely engaged in very a personable manner, such as how https://www.monetha.io/ did and still does post-ICO via weekly YouTube video updates. Very impressed by them.

Of course, if their platform is already built, that's less risky, and having active business development & user adoption is the next milestone.  Since most ICOs still raise on a concept, this is a factor, but not as important as the team.

In our case, our current CHEX Token sale has utility for an already developed platform, that is beta launched with growing user interest. Please have a look, and we appreciate feedback comments:

All the best,

Eugene Lopin
The CHEX

CHEX tokensale
Powering Supply Chain Distribution & B2B Exchange    •    Launched Cannabis Hemp Exchange (CHEX)
Winner
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:05:58 AM

Look for a highly transparent team with a track record, and strong community engagement. Highly respectable when routinely engaged in very a personable manner, such as how https://www.monetha.io/ did and still does post-ICO via weekly YouTube video updates. Very impressed by them.

Of course, if their platform is already built, that's less risky, and having active business development & user adoption is the next milestone.  Since most ICOs still raise on a concept, this is a factor, but not as important as the team.

In our case, our current CHEX Token sale has utility for an already developed platform, that is beta launched with growing user interest. Please have a look, and we appreciate feedback comments:

All the best,

Eugene Lopin
The CHEX

That project looks like a scam as well since they are changing the payments from Bitcoin to something else. I would invest in it if it featured Bitcoin only transactions.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
toandanchucong

Activity: 181

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:14:15 AM

Is this a scam?
                                                      l
                                                      l   
                                                         l
good info , detect a scam ICO , i always use my knowledge , read ICO' informartion and roadmap , maybe dev team behind .....

Scam ICO is not have any  standards .
thechex

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2017, 02:15:58 AM

All the best,

Eugene Lopin
The CHEX

That project looks like a scam as well since they are changing the payments from Bitcoin to something else. I would invest in it if it featured Bitcoin only transactions.

We plan to accept multiple digital currencies per client demand, and especially Bitcoin first. Good point, as we need to clarify that. Looking into regulatory compliance - Money Services Business (MSB) license to have a crypto merchant gateway, legality of doing this for Cannabis, etc.  

CHEX tokensale
Mariya03

Activity: 124

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:17:40 AM

First i search the name of the ICO in the internet , then the price of its promoting token. If the name of the ICO is not being search or no information about them then it is a scam. I also look in the ann thread and see the detailed information and what its like to introduce, then if the information is not that detailed then maybe it is a scam. If your intuition is telling you that it might be a scam then check it. Its up to you just be aware of joining in an ICO all the time.

Similificator

Activity: 882
Merit: 403

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:29:07 AM

How to detect a scam ICO?

By not being stupid. Lol.
Seriously though, there are aot of ways if you really wanna be sure. And i think you probably know if not all, then most of them. So next time, don’t ask questions that google can answer man. Do a bit research about your question first before asking here. Relying on others and being lazy won’t get you anywhere.
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 03:24:20 AM

Is this a scam?
                                                      l
                                                      l   
                                                         l

Totally Agree. Lot of good companies started with no ICO. But, it's just a good prevention. In fact, some of ICO are nice success : Lisk, Waves... But yes, the graph is correct in the majority of cases
I think do not get generalized. not everything that starts from ico will be a scam and not everything that was previously not ico will not be a scam. need more research before saying that they will scam or not. I think many have been told by various users how to detect ico scam or not you can try it. but btw your flowchart is just your logic only #imo
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: