Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:12:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ars Technica working on a ANOTHER piece on BF. Speak your mind to the author...  (Read 8307 times)
jedunnigan (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:15:55 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 04:17:41 AM by jedunnigan

Saw this on BFL Forums today...
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3001-ars-technica-working-piece-bfl.html
Hi guys,

Cyrus Farivar here with Ars Technica. We're working on two stories about BFL from two angles. My colleague Lee Hutchinson is doing the hardware side (yes, we have a Jalapeño! and yes, we're sorry that those of you that paid actual money for it haven't gotten one yet!).

See: We?ve got a Butterfly Labs Bitcoin miner, and it?s pretty darn fast | Ars Technica

I'm working on a story about the business side of things. I've spoken with some of the BFL execs and a few other related folks and am working on a piece about BFL as a company. I'd love to hear from folks that have put in orders, have received orders, are considering ordering, whatever. Anyone who has anything to say about the company.

Email me:

cyrus.farivar@arstechnica.com

Thanks!

-C

For whatever it's worth please don't spam this dude. Regardless I thought this was a necessary drop point for this beacon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:29:58 AM

Here's my take.

If any article is written without mentioning the Laissez Faire Connection, then it'll be a bias article.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:28:52 PM

Contacted.

EDIT: That was quick. He responded.
jedunnigan (OP)

Activity: 279

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

Contacted.

EDIT: That was quick. He responded.

Yea, I'm formulating my response now.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:54:15 PM

Won't the article be biased anyway? 'Technica'-lly they are being paid/sponsored with a BFL money printing machine...which they never paid for, or asked for. It was just 'donated'.

And I mean this genuinely from neither an unsupportive, or supportive BFL standpoint.

Ars Technica's last article was pathetic. I don't have any high hopes to see a decent follow up at all. All they demonstrated was their total lack of understanding of Bitcoin, zero journalistic integrity, and that readership blags you freebies if you're willing to give a lot of praise back.

I'm a BFL bystander. Ars Technica have their work cut out if they want to improve in my eyes.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:29:23 PM

Unraveling who the BFL directors are and the source of BFL's funding are the only things I am curious about. Right now, there are only two threats to BFL's operations:

1) The executives and board pay themselves exorbitant salaries and burn all the cash on themselves. Knowing who the directors are would address this concern.

2)  If BFL only has pre-orders as a source of cash, then their cashflow is of serious concern. If they need more pre-orders to fund their backlog then they are vulnerable to the wave of ASICs due this summer. If they have investors, who are they and can they continue to write checks?

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:45:38 PM

Unraveling who the BFL directors are and the source of BFL's funding are the only things I am curious about. Right now, there are only two threats to BFL's operations:

1) The executives and board pay themselves exorbitant salaries and burn all the cash on themselves. Knowing who the directors are would address this concern.

2)  If BFL only has pre-orders as a source of cash, then their cashflow is of serious concern. If they need more pre-orders to fund their backlog then they are vulnerable to the wave of ASICs due this summer. If they have investors, who are they and can they continue to write checks?

3) Is there any evidence of them mining to over costs? So yeah they need to see their figures...

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

3) Is there any evidence of them mining to over costs? So yeah they need to see their figures...

I wouldn't have an issue with them mining to increase margins, as long as they were able to fill customer demand.
BFL's volume is so low right now, I am not sure it would matter in the long run to the thousands of pre-orders if BFL kept a few for themselves.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:04:11 PM

2)  If BFL only has pre-orders as a source of cash, then their cashflow is of serious concern. If they need more pre-orders to fund their backlog then they are vulnerable to the wave of ASICs due this summer. If they have investors, who are they and can they continue to write checks?

I wouldn't have an issue with them mining to increase margins, as long as they were able to fill customer demand.
BFL's volume is so low right now, I am not sure it would matter in the long run to the thousands of pre-orders if BFL kept a few for themselves.

I realise that, and this is not an excuse to shout; "liar, liar, you said you wouldn't mine", but it means customer funds are presumably safe, and untouched if they have access to an additional revenue stream, regardless of the perceived integrity of behaving that way...

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:09:01 PM

Fairly surprised that Arstechnica are being attributed with bad journalistic integrity, I always thought they were more balanced than most other tech sites. It sort of depends on which of their journalists is writing the article though, Cyrus Farivar is one of their team who I find it hard to make my mind up about. 

Vires in numeris
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:12:38 PM

Fairly surprised that Arstechnica are being attributed with bad journalistic integrity, I always thought they were more balanced than most other tech sites. It sort of depends on which of their journalists is writing the article though, Cyrus Farivar is one of their team who I find it hard to make my mind up about.  

My assertion was based on his limited comprehension of Bitcoin itself, having been propelled to miner status with the gift of a Jalepeno. At which point you think he'll clue himself up a bit prior to writing an article. He didn't, you got an article based around a random with a mac being given a black box that does stuff...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/weve-got-a-butterfly-labs-bitcoin-miner-and-its-pretty-darn-fast/

KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:31:01 PM

(...) it means customer funds are presumably safe, and untouched (...)

How exactly would you back up this bold statement?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:34:40 PM

I'm not the one scripting the piece, but I'd warrant that's where journalistic integrity could show both itself and some initiative by digging around how pre-order monies are used to justify the time taken.

Many here keep mentioning the pre-order funds remain untouched, so they want answers as to how BFL continue to function.

KS

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:40:41 PM

I'm not the one scripting the piece, but I'd warrant that's where journalistic integrity could show both itself and some initiative by digging around how pre-order monies are used to justify the time taken.

Many here keep mentioning the pre-order funds remain untouched, so they want answers as to how BFL continue to function.

So you base your conclusion on hearsay and possible future journalistic investigation?

Lips sealed
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:08:30 PM

So you base your conclusion on hearsay and possible future journalistic investigation?

Lips sealed

Meow!

But seriously, this bold statement stems from the picture Josh/Inaba posted the other day of the Galaxy Nexus relaying stats from the Single SC rig being 'tested', that appeared to have earned a cumulative $8.5k the past month. Someone stated that may have been a prediction, but seeing as few have access to that GUI, we don't know. A journalist could enquire though...

I wouldn't begrudge BFL running a few miners to cover rent and associated business related costs as they deal with ongoing mistakes, if that's what they are. Again real journalism and investigative research has a place here, not here say.  BFL as much as they have invited their own abuse, deserve a fair review, but a fair review does require in depth investigation.

I don't see this particular publication doing that based on their previous article. I look forward to this aforementioned statement being proven incorrect and the incessant negativity directed towards BFL is also corrected...or proven correct, we'll see, or we won't. Wink

KS

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:15:15 PM

Lips sealed

Meow!

But seriously, this bold statement stems from the picture Josh/Inaba posted the other day of the Galaxy Nexus relaying stats from the Single SC rig being 'tested', that appeared to have earned a cumulative $8.5k the past month. Someone stated that may have been a prediction, but seeing as few have access to that GUI, we don't know. A journalist could enquire though...

I wouldn't begrudge BFL running a few miners to cover rent and associated business related costs as they deal with ongoing mistakes, if that's what they are. Again real journalism and investigative research has a place here, not here say.  BFL as much as they have invited their own abuse, deserve a fair review, but a fair review does require in depth investigation.

I don't see this particular publication doing that based on their previous article. I hope that this aforementioned statement is proven incorrect.

Still no facts to back up your assumption that the pre-order funds are safe. it's all wishful thinking IMO.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:19:41 PM

Here's my take.

If any article is written without mentioning the Laissez Faire Connection, then it'll be a bias article.

Maybe you can give Cyrus a quick briefing on the Laissez Faire Connection?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:23:42 PM

Still no facts to back up your assumption that the pre-order funds are safe. it's all wishful thinking IMO.

What the hell are you on about?!

Where have I stated I believe pre-order funds are safe?? I alluded to the fact if they are actively mining pre-order funds could justifiably be safe.

Dude your trolling, and you have an axe to grind. If it's not this thread your on my case in another. Witty banter I don't mind, but trying to manipulate posts and deviating threads off topic with an arsenic undertone wears thin after a while. <gratuitous smiley>

KS

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:30:17 PM

Where have I stated I believe pre-order funds are safe?? I alluded to the fact if they are actively mining pre-order funds could justifiably be safe.

Yes, and I asked you what connection you saw between a BFL miner actually doing some mining and the pre-order funds being presumably untouched, as if one was a guarantee for the other.

It was a straight question requiring a straight answer. Where is your straight answer?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 05:44:22 PM

Here's my take.

I have shown that Sonny Vleisides was along side James Ray Houston, et al., starting only a month or two after JRH started LFCity, with the court papers showing that the lottery scheme started at the same time. Yet, Sonny came here to this forum and stated that he teamed up with his dad in the late 90's--not mid 90's.

I've also shown that they both received millions in compensation (read salary) over the course of 5-6 years, as the liquidator, Johann Gevers has outlined.

Other founders of the failed LFCity can be found on this forum, as well.

Sonny was also instrumental in the development of the DMT, overseen by James Orlin Grabbe.

Sonny was the editor of Laissez Faire City Times prior to JOG taking over it.

The one thing that still eludes me is the pseudonym gleaned from the Ayn Rand novel Sonny used as his moniker, for JRH, his Daddy-O, penned under the majority of them fictitious characters.
KS

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:24:54 PM

Here's my take.

I have shown that Sonny Vleisides was along side James Ray Houston, et al., starting only a month or two after JRH started LFCity, with the court papers showing that the lottery scheme started at the same time. Yet, Sonny came here to this forum and stated that he teamed up with his dad in the late 90's--not mid 90's.

I've also shown that they both received millions in compensation (read salary) over the course of 5-6 years, as the liquidator, Johann Gevers has outlined.

Other founders of the failed LFCity can be found on this forum, as well.

Sonny was also instrumental in the development of the DMT, overseen by James Orlin Grabbe.

Sonny was the editor of Laissez Faire City Times prior to JOG taking over it.

The one thing that still eludes me is the pseudonym gleaned from the Ayn Rand novel Sonny used as his moniker, for JRH, his Daddy-O, penned under the majority of them fictitious characters.

did you communicate that to the ars editor?
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: