Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:15:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why your data needs to be encrypted  (Read 1116 times)
ichsan ardi

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:58:49 PM

Do you trust you government ?
Do you trust any of its agencies ?

DO you believe in bank system ?

If you read this topic, I don't think , but how do you really text in a usual day ?

Do you think WhatsApp it's really the solution ( because its end-to-end cryptography) ?

Are you still using Chrome ?

[ I got to tell you - I've just watched the "Deep Web" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312868/ and "the internet's own boy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268458/ so I'm very angry ]

The real problem I think we are too busy and to lazy to pay attention on it: you can it start now.

Just:
- use Duckduckgo as search engine
- navigate with Tor ( I know it is slower but it's for your privacy )
- use Toxchat or whatsoever
- you're good to go

None can steal your information anymore.

You can do it. Right now

Any other suggestion guys ?

u know dude, the problem is sometime people really dont care about their privacy. because they think that there is no meaningful data to be hidden. and also, they believe in a system that ensures that their data is secure. if I am a rich man, have a lot of money in the bank and have secret data that other people should not know maybe I will follow your advice .. but for now I am more comfortable to use WA and Crome Smiley

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●      T W I T T E R      ●      T E L E G R A M      ●      M E D I U M      ●
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:03:46 PM

Privacy and security topics are always interesting and nowadays most of people doesn't really care about that. Almost every platform, from device, OS, networks are not safe. And about the tittle of this threads, I agree that our data needs to be encrypted as long as you are the only one who can decrypt it. If you can't, sorry to say, then just a bullshit. Many services offers protection, VPN, Tor, or something like that are not guarantees that you are absolutely safe. It's just minimalized the public exposures like trackers. Who can guarantee that those 'privacy services providers' are not collecting your data?

by the way, I like those movies you mentioned above.

Well VPNs and Tor are nothing a like in terms of trust. Tor isn't a service offered by someone, it is a protocol, same as Bitcoin. It is open source and people run it just like they run Bitcoin full nodes. No one guarantees you the price of Bitcoin and no one guarantees you privacy in Tor, but VPNs do and that is exactly what is the problem as it means that they control it and therefor can guarantee it.

There are some components of Ubuntu that are closed source, with most of it being drivers. It is also possible for governments to tamper with open source projects to leave subtle exploits wide open. The BIOS of your computer is likely to be closed-source as well, so there may be backdoor exploits in that too.

To be honest, if it is closed source, it isn't part of Ubuntu, it is something you downloaded independently and your OS allowed you to, since it is open source and is fully controlled by you. To go further, even your processor isn't open source. Intel can control processors remotely and where there is a backdoor, there is a vector of an attack for the hackers. There was a vulnerability in that system this year, that allowed server to be hacked remotely by directly hacking a processor and it necer even reaching your OS and it's defense software. https://thehackernews.com/2017/05/intel-server-chipsets.html

u know dude, the problem is sometime people really dont care about their privacy. because they think that there is no meaningful data to be hidden. and also, they believe in a system that ensures that their data is secure. if I am a rich man, have a lot of money in the bank and have secret data that other people should not know maybe I will follow your advice .. but for now I am more comfortable to use WA and Crome Smiley

Yeah, that is the argument of many people, they say they have nothing to hide. First of all, yes you do, otherwise you would be walking around naked in public and tell everyone your every secret. Secondly, you can't know that just because it is safe now for someone to know your secret that it will be just as safe to know them in the future. What if your government decides to retroactively target anyone with certain views or something that was legal before. It is best not to give someone information they don't need as you never know what it might get used for in the future and whatever it does get used for, it will certainly involve you, as it is information about you. Don't trust anything, everyone gets corrupt if they get enough power. just search for "Stanford prison experiment" and you will see that absolutely average normal students become monster if you allow them. We are all animals, every government official will abuse his position if he feels safe enough.
luxcoin (OP)

Merit: 251

Guard your privacy

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 11:11:10 AM

Privacy and security topics are always interesting and nowadays most of people doesn't really care about that. Almost every platform, from device, OS, networks are not safe. And about the tittle of this threads, I agree that our data needs to be encrypted as long as you are the only one who can decrypt it. If you can't, sorry to say, then just a bullshit. Many services offers protection, VPN, Tor, or something like that are not guarantees that you are absolutely safe. It's just minimalized the public exposures like trackers. Who can guarantee that those 'privacy services providers' are not collecting your data?

by the way, I like those movies you mentioned above.

Buddy I see you get the point. Of course It's the safest of all if you can control everything of what you are doing but at the end you have to trust something. I mean if you drive the car, you feel safe push the brake when you need it, but who garante that? The car's makers so you trust them.
However something can go wrong something and does not work as it was supposed to do.

In the same way you have to trust something in what you are believing. But to make everything works for a common folk something needs to be easy - so in the end how can you control everything if you don't make it by yourself ?

If a VPN is FREE do you think it's safe enough ?
WHEN THE SERVICE IS FREE YOU ARE THE PRODUCT

Forget about Free service dude, the paid services aren't also 100% guarantee our privacy
By the way, I love that qoute Grin
WHEN THE SERVICE IS FREE YOU ARE* THE PRODUCT
*) we are
Cheesy

Grin Grin
The problem is real. The IT has gone too far for an average person to understand all of that. And I am not referring to a specific feature of SaaS VPN but I think 90% of the people does not even know what a VPN is!!
That's what we're facing.
We can only talk and give our advise to other people that are completely ignoring the issue - because more privacy there is worldwide better it's for us

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
Blockchain File Signatures
deeponion.org
Hendralam18

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 11:34:45 AM

Because in our mobile phone has many secret data, maybe bank account, credit card number, and all private data. Every messenger has encrypted system peer-to-peer, so all unauthorized user cannot read or access it. We know now WhatsApp has these encryption to protect what we chat, picture that we send it, any data we send using whatsapp. These technology has been created before whatsapp created, like in Bank Security, our Credit Card also using Encrypted database to protect our transaction.

cryptoimal86

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:41:31 AM

Ya I'm totally agree with u, if I am a terrorist or non tax payer. if i dont have any thing to hide, why should I encrypt information from government. 
luxcoin (OP)

Guard your privacy

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:28:20 PM

Because in our mobile phone has many secret data, maybe bank account, credit card number, and all private data. Every messenger has encrypted system peer-to-peer, so all unauthorized user cannot read or access it. We know now WhatsApp has these encryption to protect what we chat, picture that we send it, any data we send using whatsapp. These technology has been created before whatsapp created, like in Bank Security, our Credit Card also using Encrypted database to protect our transaction.
I'm not totally agree with you.

Think about how many backdoors have been found by the so called "encrypted services" - I really do not believe them.
And WhatsApp, are you really talk about a huge firm that makes money with the user's data? Do you think that kind of security doesn't lack of any bugs?

Come on! That's the problem - People thinks they are just secure as the way it is and they does not have to hide anything..

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
deeponion.org
luxcoin (OP)

Guard your privacy

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:31:12 PM

Ya I'm totally agree with u, if I am a terrorist or non tax payer. if i dont have any thing to hide, why should I encrypt information from government. 

Because ANYONE could access to your data! And if you are not scared about Governments and how they can control what you're doing, think about an hacker that try to access on your computer web camera and spy you and your family exactly know when you are home, what you're doing and so on..

It's not somenthing that could never happen..

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
deeponion.org
aleksej996

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:00:41 PM

Because ANYONE could access to your data! And if you are not scared about Governments and how they can control what you're doing, think about an hacker that try to access on your computer web camera and spy you and your family exactly know when you are home, what you're doing and so on..

Exactly. Everything gets hacked. Equifax, Linkedin,Yahoo,... Probably everything, this is just what we know about.
Furthermore, wisdom about privacy before computers doesn't mean much now. As the difference is when there is a secret of your recored it is recorded forever.
So you might be fine with it now, but how long? Can you trust your government that they won't abuse that information in the future? That they won't come up with a retroactive law against your current action? That they won't target you and harass you in the future for your actions now?

Everybody has something to hide. If that wasn't the case we would all be walking around naked all the time and no one would have secrets.
What you give to your government now could be accessible to everyone in the future and you can't even know who will exist in the future.
luxcoin (OP)

Guard your privacy

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 08:56:09 AM

Exactly. Everything gets hacked. Equifax, Linkedin,Yahoo,... Probably everything, this is just what we know about.
Furthermore, wisdom about privacy before computers doesn't mean much now. As the difference is when there is a secret of your recored it is recorded forever.
So you might be fine with it now, but how long? Can you trust your government that they won't abuse that information in the future? That they won't come up with a retroactive law against your current action? That they won't target you and harass you in the future for your actions now?

Everybody has something to hide. If that wasn't the case we would all be walking around naked all the time and no one would have secrets.
What you give to your government now could be accessible to everyone in the future and you can't even know who will exist in the future.

Like it, LIKE IT, like it  Wink Wink
We are on the same boat buddy.
I totally think the same of you.

Even if you have nothing to hide it does not mean someone could stole that information from you. Internet as it was invented is a form of freedom and Govs would haven't had to start use it for their purpose and spying people!!

The ignorance of the majority of people online is very BLISS - since when they start to understand how many trucks they paved...

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
deeponion.org
September11Myth

Activity: 387
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 08:31:08 PM

There are so many reasons why your data should be encryoted that I even don't know where I should start from Smiley))

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .   
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
cr_liev

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:54:03 PM

I'm just a little human and I don't have so much data that need privacy. The only reason I encrypt some data is to protect my funds. But I'm still not sure whether it helps
spongegar

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:22:30 AM

If you read this topic, I don't think , but how do you really text in a usual day ?

Do you think WhatsApp it's really the solution ( because its end-to-end cryptography) ?

[ I got to tell you - I've just watched the "Deep Web" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312868/ and "the internet's own boy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268458/ so I'm very angry ]

The real problem I think we are too busy and to lazy to pay attention on it: you can it start now.

Just:
- you're good to go

You can do it. Right now

That is the conundrum of security and freedom. We want to do and say whatever we want but we also want privacy. How do we actually fight terrorism but still protect your privacy. I really think i don't mind if my government look and listen through my life so long as they do this for my and my family's security. I'll let them look at my bank accounts and see my transactions so long as they won't steal from me

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬ |  𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻    ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬
▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ Hard fork Ethereum  ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬  11.1.19  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ANN  ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Telegram  ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter  ▬▬▬▬  White Paper  ▬▬▬ ▬▬
luxcoin (OP)

Guard your privacy

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 09:47:41 AM

Just:
- you're good to go

You can do it. Right now

That is the conundrum of security and freedom. We want to do and say whatever we want but we also want privacy. How do we actually fight terrorism but still protect your privacy. I really think i don't mind if my government look and listen through my life so long as they do this for my and my family's security. I'll let them look at my bank accounts and see my transactions so long as they won't steal from me

In some way it makes sense your words....BUT: what if the Gov you are putting now your trust can no longer control your data and also they can be hacked. So as you mentioned terrorists or other can know exactly who you are, where you live, how much money you have so you are no longer safe..

And what if the Gov you are giving your data for free, suddenly decide to do other things with your data ?
And yet, what if it's nominated another president of the opposition ?

Just think about it

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
deeponion.org
The_prodigy

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:01:29 AM

Just:
- you're good to go

You can do it. Right now

I think it is important to encrypt data that you feel or think jolds and contains data that you are jot willing to share to others. Especially with a lot of going on in our internet this seems an easy thing to do. However I still think that when it comes to just commom converstaion no need to encrypt anymore
sloturtz

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:10:09 AM

Just:
- you're good to go

You can do it. Right now

I think it is important to encrypt data that you feel or think jolds and contains data that you are jot willing to share to others. Especially with a lot of going on in our internet this seems an easy thing to do. However I still think that when it comes to just commom converstaion no need to encrypt anymore

It's pretty easy to get into your computer so when it comes to saving passphrases and confidential records, its very necessary, particularly if you are a company.
shauryasinha

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:11:58 AM

Right now data is encrypted but with the emergence of AI and Machine Learning, people have become more smart into hacking systems. Imagine in coming 10 years every other stuff you own or plan to own will be managed digitally from far away location which need not require your presence. Hacking such systems would be easy. So yes data privacy is a concern but with the advancement in technology things will fall in place.
aleksej996

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:15:43 AM

Right now data is encrypted but with the emergence of AI and Machine Learning, people have become more smart into hacking systems. Imagine in coming 10 years every other stuff you own or plan to own will be managed digitally from far away location which need not require your presence. Hacking such systems would be easy. So yes data privacy is a concern but with the advancement in technology things will fall in place.

AI and ML helps absolutely nothing currently in terms of hacking. The increase in hacks is due to increase in dependence on technology and lack of quality software.
Andrewrny

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:28:15 PM

Encrypting your sensitive information can help you avoid major losses and protect your privacy
luxcoin (OP)

Guard your privacy

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:18:21 AM

Just:
- you're good to go

You can do it. Right now

Yes, It depends who you are chatting with  Grin
The major dot-company are trying to collect as many data as possible so they can sell that data to others - so everyone should be conscious about it and not post everything on internet and leave breadcrumbs everywhere.

But in my country I see everyday to much of confusion about good using of internet, social networks and stuff - people are just ignoring how important this is

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
deeponion.org
luxcoin (OP)

Guard your privacy

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:19:49 AM

Great word buddy! We're on the same boat !

Unfortunately there are too much folks out there that just ignoring the issue - and they will come across next years

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄