Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:56:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people here successfully retrieved their hacked accounts?  (Read 396 times)
SwingSecond (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 01:21:20 PM

My account that I've been using since 2013 was recently hacked: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2212151

I have sent a PM to theymos with a signed message for verification, but he hasn't responded yet. Now, it's only been four days and he's probably been busy, but it makes me a little bit worried that he might have missed my PM. I don't want to nag him and send another PM either.

How many here successfully retrieved their hacked accounts? How long did it take?

Thanks Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Archibal

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 01:36:09 PM

Why do you think that many people retrieved their hacked accounts ?
any evidence to this statement ?
i don't think that it's to easy. most people don't retrieve it imo.

unless you stacked your adress and you will be able to retrieve it.
read more here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0
SwingSecond (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 03:00:04 PM

Why do you think that many people retrieved their hacked accounts ?
any evidence to this statement ?
i don't think that it's to easy. most people don't retrieve it imo.

unless you stacked your adress and you will be able to retrieve it.
read more here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0

What are you even trying to say? I didn't say I think many people retrieved their hacked account, I was asking that.

I did stake my address over two years ago: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg12174323#msg12174323
Roidz92

Activity: 560
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 04:11:47 PM

No way to have my account back, someone changed my mail and that's it.

when someone change email or password, the site should warning! Now my account is lost to someone that have it and use it to scam people!  Cry
asdlolciterquit_2

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 04:37:14 PM

My account that I've been using since 2013 was recently hacked: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2212151

I have sent a PM to theymos with a signed message for verification, but he hasn't responded yet. Now, it's only been four days and he's probably been busy, but it makes me a little bit worried that he might have missed my PM. I don't want to nag him and send another PM either.

How many here successfully retrieved their hacked accounts? How long did it take?

Thanks Smiley

few people for sure... not me. I'm waiting since almost one month now...
popolite11

Activity: 882
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:15:57 AM

Thanks Smiley

few people for sure... not me. I'm waiting since almost one month now...

But did you send to admins bitcoin signature? Because it you did it correct you should receive it back!!!
jorinu

Activity: 49

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 08:31:17 AM

If you prove that your account is not visible to you, it is not possible to retrieve it. You can only buy it only. I think how can a hacker get your account and share it so we can avoid it?
Roidz92

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 03:07:59 PM

I never got it back, and refuse to create a permanent new one because I, like you, posted for many years and am not willing to let that happen again.  I did not post a bitcoin address, because do not want any links between bitcointalk and a wallet.  I don't understand how this is the ony forum in the world that requires a bitcoin address to recover an identity.  Seems the only way to prevent it is to not use bitcointalk.  If bitcointalk comes out with new version that provides some protection from email address change, I'll reconsider using Bitcointalk.   

Other than Reddit, anyone have any recommendations for a good bitcoin place to talk?  If we don't get a good board where with better identity protection, I'll create one. 

True, only this forum has these rules.
Other forum has 2fa and email security.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 03:25:06 PM

A Bitcoin address effectively can act as 2 factor authentication. If you remember posting a Bitcoin address then you could sign the address and provide that information to theymos. If the hacker has changed the post that contained the address, then theymos will likely be able to see the post history. Basically, check the post history or try to remember any time you posted an address and tell him about it and provide a signed message. Even if you have sent the address via personal message you can tell him about it and he'll be able to find it. I believe I remember reading a post by theymos years back that he will ignore any messages which do not contain the information described above.

Found the link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0

Awesome. Follow the above link to the letter and wait patiently. I see you did this but posted it publicly and assume you did the same in the personal message to theymos. If that is the case you should just wait. Make sure that it's correct and has the information though. Wait a week and just message him again. He has many messages per week, and the inbox is rather messy and one message can easily be overlooked so sending him a reminder in a week should be okay.
Roidz92

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 03:54:13 PM

A Bitcoin address effectively can act as 2 factor authentication. If you remember posting a Bitcoin address then you could sign the address and provide that information to theymos. If the hacker has changed the post that contained the address, then theymos will likely be able to see the post history. Basically, check the post history or try to remember any time you posted an address and tell him about it and provide a signed message. Even if you have sent the address via personal message you can tell him about it and he'll be able to find it. I believe I remember reading a post by theymos years back that he will ignore any messages which do not contain the information described above.

Awesome. Follow the above link to the letter and wait patiently. I see you did this but posted it publicly and assume you did the same in the personal message to theymos. If that is the case you should just wait. Make sure that it's correct and has the information though. Wait a week and just message him again. He has many messages per week, and the inbox is rather messy and one message can easily be overlooked so sending him a reminder in a week should be okay.

the point is that this is a forum, and many people not even know what is a private key.
NutMasterTardd
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:17:23 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2017, 07:45:50 PM by NutMasterTardd

I got mine back (without mod help), this is the thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2196759.msg22087145#msg22087145

Long story short I sent my hacked account a message from my second, and the guy that was currently in control of my account responded saying he had just purchased it and returned it to me. It was pretty lucky but he knew he wouldn't be able to keep someone else's account and that it would eventually be frozen until the problem could be resolved, maybe you might have some luck doing the same. I assume hackers know they won't have access to the hacked accounts for long, especially if the account owner is active anyway so they sell them on and take any profit they can while they can. It was pretty lucky as I had never staked an address, as soon as I got my account back it was the first thing I did. I know the mods of this forum are extremely busy but I am sure you'll hear something back eventually, I wish you luck.

GEO, RLC & QRL.
Roidz92

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:36:23 PM

I got mine back, this is the thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2196759.msg22087145#msg22087145

Long story short I sent my hacked account a message from my second, and the guy that was currently in control of my account responded saying he had just purchased it and returned it to me. It was pretty luck but he knew he wouldn't be able to keep someone else's account and that it would eventually be frozen until the problem could be resolved, maybe you might have some luck doing the same. I assume hackers know they won't have access to the hacked accounts for long, especially if the account owner is active anyway so they sell them on and take any profit they can while they can. It was pretty lucky as I had never staked an address, as soon as I got my account back it was the first thing I did. I know the mods of this forum are extremely busy but I am sure you'll hear something back eventually, I wish you luck.

i hope to have your luck.
surely the people who bought my account, lost his money. i will persecute my original hacked haccount forever until he returns.
SwingSecond (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 05:46:36 PM

Hello! I did send a signed message to theymos in a PM, but I didn't do it in the exact same format he requested. I use blockchain.info and I made separate lines for address, message and signature, like this:

Address:
Code:
X

X

Signature:
Code:
X

I hope it's acceptable. Otherwise I'll reformat it so it looks like this:

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
My account <account> has been hacked/lost. Please reset the email to <email>. The current date is <date>.
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
<insert address here>
<insert signature here>
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

and try again.
SwingSecond (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 05:58:13 PM

Wait, why bitcointalk.to? It's .org, not .to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: