Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:42:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All airdrops are ponzi schemes?  (Read 1750 times)
ev3nout

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 12:45:10 AM

Air drops is a viral Marketing strategy. Apparently it works b/c everybody seems to be talking about it.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VTS (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Licensing & Monetizing Digital Content!

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:33:59 AM

Nobody reads the OP anymore? That's the problem with signature campaigns.

Sadly but true! Thanks for pointing that out!
Yeah man, that's another thing for mods and signature managers to keep an eye on.

These days it's all about the post count. It's creating mindless zombies.

Thank you again!

That you telling cannot be said too often! I agree that there should be more awareness about it!

thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 08:04:07 AM

Your assumption is very wrong, why are you picking recent airdrop project, I was told NEM was airdropped and made some people millionaire and recently Cosma will be on the platform and raised significant amount of fund. I believe you are mixing some things up here
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 09:22:22 AM

What kind of stupid question is this ? Do you even know what a ponzi scheme is ?
Airdrop has nothing to do with it...

blockchainmarketus

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 10:02:54 AM

That 's statement will irritated airdrop hunters, I never be interested in airdrop, it waste time, I better small amount of ICO and make profit after the token listed in the market. That,s better than waiting of hunting for airdrop.
SMSabuj

Activity: 602
Merit: 251

I am a professional Web Designer and Developer

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 10:49:57 AM

I personally never participated in any airdrop as there are voices around that ALL airdrops are ponzi schemes!

Whats your thought about this "statement"?

Can some1 give deeper insight and background info about the airdrop principle and why some people telling its a ponzi scheme or MLM technique?

We (Licensium Team) where thinking months back on airdrop but decided to go the ico way!

Thx in advance!

APPLY FOR OUR BOUNTIES: https://goo.gl/forms/2RUJKdzx9qbWi6Kj1
INFO ON BOUNTIES: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2224387
ANN: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2129844.0

I do not agree with you. All airdrops are not Ponzi Schemes. A couple of months ago I have joined Timereum and some Airdrop. I have earned so much from those airdrops. I like to join airdrop. But who is giving condition to install wallet I always avoid them. Because wallet installation is very risky.
jyotianand01

Activity: 980
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

How can you say that all airdrops are ponzi scheme. Ponzi is that, where a person or company generate returns for old members by getting new people into the system and no guarantee of anything and no real earning source. in airdrop, you got free coins without putting a single penny out of pocket and no money transaction happen.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           
      ▄▄█████████████▄▄     
    ▄████████████████████▄   
  ▄████████████▌ ▀███████   
  ████████████     ▀████
   █▄
   ▐█████████   ▄▄   ▀▀   ███
█▄   ███████   ▐███▄     ████▌
██▄   █████   ▐██████▄ ▄██████
████   ▐██   ▐███████████████▌
 ████▄     ▐████████████████
  ████▄    ▄████████████████ 
   ▀████▄▄████████████████▀ 
     ▀█████████████████▀▀   
        ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀   
WPPENERGY
.World Power Production.

INNOVATION LEADERS IN THE GLOBAL
    RENEWABLE ENERGY INDUSTRY

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           
      ▄▄█████████████▄▄     
    ▄████████████████████▄   
  ▄████████████▌ ▀███████   
  ████████████     ▀████
   █▄
   ▐█████████   ▄▄   ▀▀   ███
█▄   ███████   ▐███▄     ████▌
██▄   █████   ▐██████▄ ▄██████
████   ▐██   ▐███████████████▌
 ████▄     ▐████████████████
  ████▄    ▄████████████████ 
   ▀████▄▄████████████████▀ 
     ▀█████████████████▀▀   
        ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀   

..INQUIRE..
━━━━━━━━
VTS (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 11:03:24 AM

How can you say that all airdrops are ponzi scheme. Ponzi is that, where a person or company generate returns for old members by getting new people into the system and no guarantee of anything and no real earning source. in airdrop, you got free coins without putting a single penny out of pocket and no money transaction happen.

Well I for my part only ask why some people telling that all airdrops are ponzi schemes, to understand airdrops better. I did not make any statement, i made a question!

jasindu36

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 11:06:03 AM

I don't understand why people called airdrop Ponzi Scheme as it was given us free Coins and no money has been given by us & no money rotation then how can some people always screaming   airdrop as a ponzi scheme. For example tell me most of the people got BCH as free can anyone tell me is it ponzi? No its not pozi, ponzi is that where we all invest money & only some people got back their money that is called ponzi.
PETES

Activity: 456
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 11:42:13 AM

What kind of stupid question is this ? Do you even know what a ponzi scheme is ?
Airdrop has nothing to do with it...

He's out of his mind I think.
Airdrop now is a trend and I can say many of us are earning here with this free coins.
Maybe he always don't get free coins like he's too late when there's new airdop. Grin
npredtorch
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 03:02:59 AM

Let me reiterate your question, do you mean "Are all projects that uses airdrop strategy are usually into ponzi scheme?"
If that is correct, my answer would be NO. Airdrop is just a free way to distribute token/coins (A non complex way than an ICO) and that's it. I can say that , a project can only be categorized as a ponzi or on another word "scam" if itself doesn't have real products or services that it can offer to the public. In short, there must be a development not some BS promises.

*There's too much salt on this thread, stay strong OP*
ranman09

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 03:54:40 AM

I personally never participated in any airdrop as there are voices around that ALL airdrops are ponzi schemes!

Whats your thought about this "statement"?

Can some1 give deeper insight and background info about the airdrop principle and why some people telling its a ponzi scheme or MLM technique?

We (Licensium Team) where thinking months back on airdrop but decided to go the ico way!

Thx in advance!

No not at all! I have joined Airdrops and have received a good amount of coin. If you do a thing for the Airdrop and not receive it that maybe a ponzi. But not all. Ive been for your Airdrop Licensium Cheesy I like your team actually I joined your facebook bounty. You research first before you do and thats good Cheesy
Hyperme.sh

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 04:44:48 PM

-snip-
And Byteball airdropped to exchanges who held so much BTC, so guess for yourself if any kickbacks were involved.
-snip-

Since the beginning there was filtering mechanisms preventing this from happening. And it was further improved:

Inspired by my conversation with Aleš Janda (who is very knowledgeable in blockchain analysis and runs walletexplorer.com and chainalysis.com), there is a new rule for microtransaction-proven bitcoin addresses:

- if the address had more than 50 transactions in the last 3 days, it is rejected.  Linking by signature is still possible.

Such frequent transactions are common for exchanges and other shared wallets, and the rule prevents its customers from linking the shared address by doing a withdrawal.

This adds to the other two rules that serve the same purpose:
- if the microtransaction has more than 2 outputs, it is rejected (with the exception of Electrum 2fa transactions that have 3 outputs), because exchanges often aggregate several withdrawals into a single transaction
- if the same address was already linked before by another user, the new link is rejected and the old link is canceled.  This applies only to tx-proven addresses, and the reason for this rule is that for sufficiently popular exchanges, there will likely be more than one user who tries to cheat.

The two old rules were good enough at filtering large well known exchanges but a small number of addresses of smaller exchanges were still linked.  The new rule is to filter them too.

Oh come on. Well I’m glad you linked to that because I read it in the past and couldn’t find it again.

Afaics, that filtering rule is easily subverted. And most of the exchanges’ BTC are presumably in deeper storage any way, so the filtering rule will not help.

Besides, wasn’t that rule added far too late after the most economically significant air drops were already completed.

For such an important issue, where is the comprehensive document which explains all the filtering methods employed in sufficient, holistic detail and the timing that each was employed and the complete accounting of air drops and dates. We should not have to go searching in a very long project thread to try to dig out the details which are buried in posts.

Also we know for a fact they did not filter out Iconomi’s ill gotten, illegal security issued ICO hoard, because Iconomi wrote a Medium blog post about how they got 9.766% of the initial Byteball money supply.

“if you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours”

(but really we’re just-us working together to build a better world, not scamming)

I guess what irritates me is pretending something is more egalitarian than it really is. I have no problem with admitting that egalitarianism is impossible, so why not be transparent about it. Why make these SJW-like lies to ourselves pretending what isn’t.
I suggest you read it again. The filtering is to prevent customers from linking the exchange addresses, not the exchange itself from linking it. If you see, linking by signature is still allowed.

Exchanges, ICONOMI and other ICOs own the private keys for these addresses, which makes them, from a protocol perspective, owners of these coins.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I also don't see these exchanges linking their cold storages by signature. Even if they are there, again, from a protocol perspective, we can not blame them. In crypto, that's what we're signing for.

Afaics, you have not addressed my main point, which is @tonych claiming he only got 1% which obfuscates whether exchanges (who were holding other people’s BTC) were giving kickbacks to @tonych.

We can’t prove nor disprove. I prefer transparency than pretending he was so humble, when in fact maybe he was a fox.

My point is about transparency. And about not issuing illegal securities and then not providing all the material facts for the insiders.

If indeed @tonych was given kickbacks, then this could violate laws about securities or consumer protection laws about proper disclosure.

These tokens which have non-transparent issuance problems are not going to be reliable when the nation-states start using their laws to attack cryptocurrency.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 04:48:53 PM

what is this philosophy mumbo jumbo.  An airdrop can't be a ponzi scheme.  If you don't put in any money, how can it be a scam ?  scam you for what, the non existant money that you put in the project ?  Airdrops are nice, just another way of distributing coin other than POW or POS.  An ICO, on the other hand, is what we call a 100% premine paid with bitcoin.  Now if that isnt a scam, I dont know what is.  But having said that, there are ICO's that use funds appropriately and actually do things with the money, but those are rare.
mkhadazz

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 06:33:45 PM

Airdrop no relation with scam. In fact, airdrop means we accept. We don't invest anything in it, meaning absolutely no money we throw at them. Airdrop is an including marketing strategy for me.
VTS (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 09:20:02 AM

Airdrop no relation with scam. In fact, airdrop means we accept. We don't invest anything in it, meaning absolutely no money we throw at them. Airdrop is an including marketing strategy for me.

Well there airdrop as instrument is no scam, I agree with you! ( That is what this thread learned me). The question is can it be abused for scam?

blobbyheadstone

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 07:19:32 AM

Well there airdrop as instrument is no scam, I agree with you! ( That is what this thread learned me). The question is can it be abused for scam?

As long as your coins are on a wallet or address of yours and you don't invest additional money they can't scam you.

But if they ask you to install some wallet of theirs for staking or some other reasons you should be careful. This software could be the scam and infect you computer.
VTS (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 03:47:16 PM

As long as your coins are on a wallet or address of yours and you don't invest additional money they can't scam you.

But if they ask you to install some wallet of theirs for staking or some other reasons you should be careful. This software could be the scam and infect you computer.

Thank you for the tip! Much appreciated!

ranman09

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:20:45 PM

Thank you for the tip! Much appreciated!

This is what i was also thinking. Do antivirus detect such programs? I have a software downloaded lately for staking an airdrop coin. I run at first to receive the airdrop and then moved it in a Virtual Machine to lock access to my resources. I should've run it solely at virtual machine.
VTS (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 05:00:38 AM

Well I would avoid installing wallets of nay kind (except the major ones)  and if then only on VM with separate internet connection id you have the possibility.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: