Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:35:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the odds to never mine a block with 500Mh/s solo?  (Read 2098 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 03:29:55 PM

Hi,

I've been working on that question and have a result that is far off the result previously found in the wiki:
My assumption: network growth is 2%/day
My result: 70% to never mine a single block ever.

Old assumption: difficulty growth is 10%/iteration (which is far more optimistic than my assumption)
Old result: 96% to never mine a single block ever. (which is a magnitude more pessimistic than my result)

Who's interested in proof reading? Who has another, maybe simpler solution to provide?
The Wiki link is here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_pooled_mining#Alternative_Perspective

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HideousBeastManGuy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:38:45 PM

There's simply no reason not to join a pool, especially with such a low GH/sec. 

Hell, if you had even 50GH/sec you should probably join a pool since many are fee-free.  That said, if I did have 50GH/sec, I'd probably balance it across several pools for downtime issue and to iron out the small amount of variance.
Adam

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:42:42 PM

It sounds reasonable under your parameters, but there's no way I see 2% growth continuing longer than a few months, but I'll go with it.  I just did some really quick math and here's what I got:

Chance of solving with 1 hash today: 1.68814E-16, *500mhash = 8.4407E-08 of solving in 1 second * 60*60*24 = .007293 chance of solving a block today.

I multiplied the odds of solving with 1 hash by .98 in excel, did the same calculation, and continued out for 50,000 days, although excel stopped recording values after 33000 days because at that crazy growth rate you would have a 9.9x10-295 chance of solving a block in a day.

The sum of all the chances of solving a block in an individual day was 36.46%.  There's probably a more elegant solution to this, but I just ran the calculation for another purpose and already had the spreadsheet.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 03:54:41 PM

There's simply no reason not to join a pool, especially with such a low GH/sec. 

Hell, if you had even 50GH/sec you should probably join a pool since many are fee-free.  That said, if I did have 50GH/sec, I'd probably balance it across several pools for downtime issue and to iron out the small amount of variance.

No reason to not use a pool?? Pardon me? How about pools having the potential to attack the bitcoin network as a whole? see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Talk:Weaknesses#Pools for details.

It sounds reasonable under your parameters, but there's no way I see 2% growth continuing longer than a few months, but I'll go with it.
Well ... my 2%/day are simply how performance was for 2 years now. Sure there are limits and at some point we will approximate Moore's law (that is when all PC's do mining Wink
I just wanted to take somewhat equal assumptions as the other authors of the article.

The sum of all the chances of solving a block in an individual day was 36.46%.
Smiley although I would not vouch for your way of getting there, your solution is also much more in favour of mine. Thanks for looking into it.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:59:52 PM

Although this should be asked in the 'Mining' sub-forum, I'll bite.

If you believe in reinforcing the structural components of bitcoin, you'll mine solo.

If you have no patience, you'll mine in a pool, but sacrifice the peer-to-peer robustness that solo mining provides. You're essentially at the mercy of pool downtime, not to mention contributing to a potential 51%+ attack scenario, or being a victim of a pool DDoS attack from an outside source.

Choose wisely...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
HideousBeastManGuy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:08:49 PM

No reason to not use a pool?? Pardon me? How about pools having the potential to attack the bitcoin network as a whole? see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Talk:Weaknesses#Pools for details.

I stand corrected, but I do not see that as a big enough threat to avoid mitigating a gross amount of variance if you have only Mh/sec.  And as I explained, even if you have more computing power than that you could also spread yourself over several fee-free pools to iron out variance even more, as well as mitigate risk for the chance of the described scenario.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:09:48 PM

It sounds reasonable under your parameters, but there's no way I see 2% growth continuing longer than a few months, but I'll go with it.  I just did some really quick math and here's what I got:

Chance of solving with 1 hash today: 1.68814E-16, *500mhash = 8.4407E-08 of solving in 1 second * 60*60*24 = .007293 chance of solving a block today.

I multiplied the odds of solving with 1 hash by .98 in excel, did the same calculation, and continued out for 50,000 days, although excel stopped recording values after 33000 days because at that crazy growth rate you would have a 9.9x10-295 chance of solving a block in a day.

The sum of all the chances of solving a block in an individual day was 36.46%.  There's probably a more elegant solution to this, but I just ran the calculation for another purpose and already had the spreadsheet.

NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS! -- Han Solo-miner

Mousepotato
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:23:28 PM

I stand corrected, but I do not see that as a big enough threat to avoid mitigating a gross amount of variance if you have only Mh/sec.
What's with all you trying to avoid every bit of variance - it is the very essence of what makes life interesting Cheesy

If I had to feed my kids from my mining income then I'd probably think differently but I hope nobody of you is in that position. I for my part like to be surprised once every few days weeks months, therefore I mine solo Wink

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:19:11 AM

If you take "ever" as in "in eternity", you have a probability of 100% to mine a block, hell, you're even 100% likely to mine 1000 blocks with only 1 hash per second!

Please specify a REAL timeframe like "within the next 5 years", not infinity!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:30:48 AM

Hi,

I've been working on that question and have a result that is far off the result previously found in the wiki:
My assumption: network growth is 2%/day

Old assumption: difficulty growth is 10%/iteration (which is far more optimistic than my assumption)
Old result: 96% to never mine a single block ever. (which is a magnitude more pessimistic than my result)

Who's interested in proof reading? Who has another, maybe simpler solution to provide?
The Wiki link is here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_pooled_mining#Alternative_Perspective

The bigger issues is how many coins would you get (50? 25? 10?) and what will the value be in 6 months, 12 months, 24 months.

If you're worried about 50%+ pools, just join a smaller pool. Doesn't that balance out the danger? As long as you're not in the biggest you're a counter balance to them in terms of the network.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
TheVirus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:39:57 AM

If you take "ever" as in "in eternity", you have a probability of 100% to mine a block, hell, you're even 100% likely to mine 1000 blocks with only 1 hash per second!

Not true as there's a finite number of bitcoins.
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:41:03 AM

But not a finite number of blocks.  After we stop minting coins, there will still be new blocks with transaction fees.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
TheVirus

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:44:17 AM

But not a finite number of blocks.  After we stop minting coins, there will still be new blocks with transaction fees.

True, but I was under the assumption he meant a block that produces a BTC prize, not a fee.
cloud9

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:48:50 AM

Current total network hash from http:// is 11.11 THash/sec.  Your share is 500 MHash/sec.

So your odds should be 11.11 x 1e6 : 500 , every 10 minutes or so.

That is 11,110,000 : 500 or 22,220 : 1 or 0.00453% , every 10 minutes or so.  If there are 6 x 10 minutes in an hour, you should probably strike lucky after 22,220 / 6 / 24 = 154.3 days if the total network hash remains unchanged, and you do not have more than average bad luck?!?

Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:49:31 AM

True, but I was under the assumption he meant a block that produces a BTC prize, not a fee.

You don't get charged a fee for generating a block in the future.  YOU get awarded the fee, so it's still a BTC prize.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:53:32 AM

Not true, as the 8 decimal places are just a convention but can easily be extended, so mili-Satoshis etc. are being mined and probably even generated. There will never be 21 Million BTC (or more) in not-infinite time frames, only 20999999.999.....

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
TheVirus

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:06:49 AM

You don't get charged a fee for generating a block in the future.  YOU get awarded the fee, so it's still a BTC prize.

I know, it was a poor choice of wording on my part.
iya

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:14:13 AM

Not true, as the 8 decimal places are just a convention but can easily be extended, so mili-Satoshis etc. are being mined and probably even generated. There will never be 21 Million BTC (or more) in not-infinite time frames, only 20999999.999.....

Not completely true, either.
At least according to the current code, the first block which does no longer award even a single satoshi, will be block 6930000 = 210000 * 33, mined in ~2140.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 03:28:09 AM

If you're worried about 50%+ pools, just join a smaller pool. Doesn't that balance out the danger? As long as you're not in the biggest you're a counter balance to them in terms of the network.

How do you know the smaller pool is not under the control of the same mastermind?

ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: