Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:59:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUIMiner ..... Problems.  (Read 3151 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 06:46:10 AM

Why does it have to be so difficult to start mining?  I mean seriously ... zero documentation.  Zero information with the program.  Just a bunch of fields and no explanations.  People who aren't veterans with this stuff could never figure any of it out.

That being said ... I can't get GUIMiner to start mining.  Ill give you as much info as I can.  Hopefully there's a solution:

Litecoin Mining
Pool:  pooledbits.com
Port: 8338
Sony Vaio laptop with external media dock which contains AMD 6650M ... which I believe is active as it is connected to this laptop.

Now ... the wonderfully confusing fields on GUIminer:

Host:  pooledbits.com
Port:  8338
Device:  Says "TOUCAN".   Dropdown also lists my CPU.  But when i select that, it says "no such device" when I press "Start Mining".  So i leave it on Toucan.
Thread Concurrancy:   Hell if I know.  5760 Huh
Vectors:  No idea - 1?
GPU Threads:   no idea - 2?
Use Stratum:   No idea - Yes?
Extra Flags:  blank
Worksize: 256 Huh
Intensity: 16 Huh

GPU Defaults:  my AMD 6650M is not listed in this dropdown.  A bunch of other numbers are.  So i have no idea what to pick here?

With all of this selected, when I press START, it just says "Connecting...."   The computer gets really loud.  Nothing happens.

2013-06-22 02:34:13: Running command: "C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\gm\cgminer\cgminer.exe" --scrypt -u BittBurger.4 -p xxxx -o stratum+tcp://pooledbits.com:8338 --gpu-platform 0 -d 0 -w 256 -v 1 -I 16 -g 2 -l 1 -T  --thread-concurrency 5760
2013-06-22 02:34:13: Listener for "Default" started

And nothing happens.

What is set wrong?

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:03:58 AM

You can generally leave everything blank to get started. Filling everything out is for fine-tuning, increasing hashes. If nothing is filled in, it just uses the miner's defaults which usually work (but slightly slower than optimal). Going extreme on a laptop's graphics card isn't recommended.

Stratum and getwork are the two main ways of getting work from the server to mine. If you're on pooledbits.com, go here: http://pooledbits.com/help
That'll tell you which port is for stratum, which is for getwork/long-polling. Stratum is usually better, but only a few miners use it (Cgminer, etc.). I don't remember the default miner for GuiMiner-Scrypt. If it's Reaper (someone who posts after me will know), just use the Getwork port instead of stratum. If it's CGMiner, use stratum.
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:56:39 AM

n generally leave everything blank to get started. Filling everything out is for fine-tuning, increasing hashes. If nothing is filled in, it just uses the miner's defaults which usually work (but slightly slower than optimal).

Actually to the contrary, leaving everything blank results in errors.

When I just put Host and Port and Username and password, it gives me the error:

"invalid value passed to : worksize".

And it wont even start.

So I put in a worksize ... 256 .... Press Start.

Error:  "invalid value passed to:  Set vector" ...

And so forth.

It expects you to put something in every single box.  Or it wont even begin.   So ... can you clarify what I need to do here?

Love how insanely complex this is ...

nawazish1

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

PXC Research Team

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 09:03:20 AM

n generally leave everything blank to get started. Filling everything out is for fine-tuning, increasing hashes. If nothing is filled in, it just uses the miner's defaults which usually work (but slightly slower than optimal).

Actually to the contrary, leaving everything blank results in errors.

When I just put Host and Port and Username and password, it gives me the error:

"invalid value passed to : worksize".

And it wont even start.

So I put in a worksize ... 256 .... Press Start.

Error:  "invalid value passed to:  Set vector" ...

And so forth.

It expects you to put something in every single box.  Or it wont even begin.   So ... can you clarify what I need to do here?

Love how insanely complex this is ...

Just put 1 in vector and it is OK.

PXC: PmfFgdwwcXPa1QUmtVJevdPfHhmhztHHCv
BTC: 1P22tVABsd85L7kkpTmohCv5vK2BypFz3H
Phoenixcoin (PXC), a decentralised open source digital currency.
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:15:48 PM

Just put 1 in vector and it is OK.

Is anyone actually reading what I am writing?

And what is okay?  It still doesn't start mining with a "1" in the vector box.

What about all the other boxes, which, as I have now stated 3 times, need to be filled, or the mining won't begin?

With "1" in vector and "256" in the work size ... it puts out the error:  "thread-concurrency requires an argument".

So reply # 1 above is wrong:  It doesn't just start mining with everything left blank.
Reply # 2 above is wrong:  doesn't address the problem.

Anyone have any input that will actually address the original post?

Repeat ... repeat...

peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:41:32 PM

Try CGMiner. It has a README file.
aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 05:47:20 PM

This thread is funny because people think GUI = easy and CLI = hard. A GUI is only easy if it is intuitive or has documentation.

cgminer is the easiest way to mine. It has a very detailed readme. Even funnier because the GUIs don't get as high hash rates as running cgminer on its own does.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: