Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:40:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just started with BTC. What do I forget?  (Read 484 times)
Appie34 (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 08:49:00 AM

So I bought some BTC at Kraken and Coinbase. I understand that it is not safe to keep them there, so I created an Exodus wallet...

-From Exodus, I printed the words, back-up link and password and I will rent a safety deposit box to store these.
-I saved these details for two days on my desktop since I was out of ink. Is this dangerous? I use Windows Defender...
-Are there any things I forget about the wallet?

The procedure looks simple to me. Just send my BTC to the wallet address and done. I guess it is alright to send all BTC at once, or is it better to do in parts? I know already that transfer in one time is much cheaper.

I'm sorry for the questions, but just want to be safe. Any other tips or recommendations are also welcome!

Thanks and good luck with all coins!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 08:51:56 AM

-I saved these details for two days on my desktop since I was out of ink. Is this dangerous? I use Windows Defender...

No, it's not dangerous as long as you don't run unknown executables and don't click on unknown links. 

Tell you what - take a picture of yourself naked and put it on your desktop.

You'll be more motivated to secure that picture from going public, and your coins will be safer too.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Appie34 (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 09:05:12 AM

No, it's not dangerous as long as you don't run unknown executables and don't click on unknown links. 

You'll be more motivated to secure that picture from going public, and your coins will be safer too.  Smiley

I'm afraid nobody even wants a picture of me... Smiley
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 12:23:34 PM

I personally would make another wallet if I was OP though. 2 days is long enough for a targetted hack, and OP only probably saved the seed on unencrypted plaintext, which is way easier for hackers. Very very unlikely, yes. But better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Not saying that Exodus is unsafe, but I'd rather go with Electrum.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Appie34 (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 01:01:07 PM

I personally would make another wallet if I was OP though. 2 days is long enough for a targetted hack, and OP only probably saved the seed on unencrypted plaintext, which is way easier for hackers. Very very unlikely, yes. But better safe than sorry in my opinion.

I will take a look at Electrum... You are right, better safe then sorry...
thinkpad99

Activity: 654
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:02:09 PM

So I bought some BTC at Kraken and Coinbase. I understand that it is not safe to keep them there, so I created an Exodus wallet...

-From Exodus, I printed the words, back-up link and password and I will rent a safety deposit box to store these.
-Are there any things I forget about the wallet?

The procedure looks simple to me. Just send my BTC to the wallet address and done. I guess it is alright to send all BTC at once, or is it better to do in parts? I know already that transfer in one time is much cheaper.

I'm sorry for the questions, but just want to be safe. Any other tips or recommendations are also welcome!

Thanks and good luck with all coins!

Make sure everything you do is important in your bitcoin adventures document. Remember to insure your wallet, so I lost a lot. So do what you do because I see that you have a concept. Good luck
cryptoGori

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:08:23 PM

Thanks for the useful infos! *I also just got my first mbitcoins and will transfer them now likethat
jagmrx

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 06:57:08 AM

Yeah, as simple as that. Do not download files that you don't understand, do not just click next and next when you install a software. You must read the whole setup, because sometimes there are malwares there. I never use antivirus, but my money is fine. That because I only use my computer for my job only. I only use it for work, and watch movies, that's it.
bitroxis

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 07:30:44 AM

Good reminder that money can be lost easily and I should print the key to my wallet too, hmmm. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: