Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:54:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $80 Android Phone Sells Like Hotcakes in Kenya  (Read 3604 times)
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 03:42:58 PM

I wasn't complaining about the phone cost.  Sure, $80 is a good price.  BUT, what the article didn't say was how much they are paying for their service contracts.  That is why an $80 phone doesn't cost $80.

If you think that when you buy a phone for $80 you can just use it for free anywhere you want, then perhaps it is you who needs to wake up. 

The purchase price of the phone is usually irrelevant to the total cost of ownership.  They could just give the dam things away and cover their costs in the service fees like they do here.

Well.. maybe these phones are like Skype VoIP phones that use the free WiFi down at the local  Starbucks...

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:06:13 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 04:16:39 PM by twobits

We’ve seen smartphones adopt all kinds of medical technology, from digital stethoscopes to cancer diagnosis, and I’m hopeful that we’ll see similarly stunning med-tech reach even the remotest areas one day.

I'm calling bullshit on this one...

WTF is an 80 dollar phone?  My phone cost me 0$..BUT you have to sign up for a 3 yr contract where you have to give up your first born to pay for it....and that's in CANADA!

What kind of contract do these unfortunate soles have to subscribe to to get their $80 phone?

This whole article is bullshit without the OP stating the 'total cost of ownership'.

Gawd shit like this makes me so mad....

Surely not BS. In kalifornia I got a decent smartphone for $125, maybe $150, no contract required, I bought minutes and data from some second rate provider cheap, can stop anytime and keep the phone. There should be a $50 smartphone already imo, $80 is far from unbelievable.

Yeah, the whole phone subsidy system is a rip off.  Take the Optimus S,  they show is as having a list price of $499, and then give the subsidy from this price.  If I was to upgrade to it they want me to pay $199, sign a two year contract and pay $10 more a month then I am for my old htc toucpro.   They also claim they are losing money on this.   However,  you can outright buy the same hardware as the Optimus V for $120.    A friend just got that and a $25 a month plan with unlimited data  and texting  last month.    For me at least the numbers and claims dont add up,  they just inflate the retail prices shown on the subsidized phones way too much and then use those funny numbers in their other math, making it all untrustworthy.   I picked those two as they are effectivly from the same company just under different bransds, you can also get the same phone hardware as the Optimus M for $99.  This phone works great as a voip phone on wifi, and is better then the htc hero, so it is not really junk even for $100.

Good to see this types  phones availability for outright purchase of $80 though, hopefully it won't be limited to Kenya.

Seems people in the USA can get an $80 phone after all, wonder if it is the same one ( http://www.metropcs.com/Shop/PhoneDetails.aspx?ProductId=HWM835(Phones) )

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:10:48 PM

BUT, what the article didn't say was how much they are paying for their service contracts.  That is why an $80 phone doesn't cost $80.

You do know the rest of the world is slightly bigger than the US, and that not everything in that "the rest of the World" works just the same as things work in the US?

This would be one of those things.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:20:38 PM

The purchase price of the phone is usually irrelevant to the total cost of ownership.  They could just give the dam things away and cover their costs in the service fees like they do here

Phone sales don't work like this in most countries. USA and Canada are exceptions.

In most of the world, you pay for a phone & walk out of the store. That's it. Cash in, phone out.
There is no 'contract'. A phone is sold as-is & not a long term 'lease' with monthly fees.

They are almost never SIM locked & people use reloadable prepaid cards.

You ought to travel more to see how things work in other places..
Canada+US make up only 4% of the world population which means you have yet to see 96%

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:24:22 PM

I wasn't complaining about the phone cost.  Sure, $80 is a good price.  BUT, what the article didn't say was how much they are paying for their service contracts.  That is why an $80 phone doesn't cost $80.

If you think that when you buy a phone for $80 you can just use it for free anywhere you want, then perhaps it is you who needs to wake up. 

The purchase price of the phone is usually irrelevant to the total cost of ownership.  They could just give the dam things away and cover their costs in the service fees like they do here.

Well.. maybe these phones are like Skype VoIP phones that use the free WiFi down at the local  Starbucks...
Ahem... when i buy a phone i buy it. No contracts or whatelse if i don't choose it. Sure, if i want i can buy it with a contracts (so i pay it later, or a bit every month or whatelse) but usually i don't. I go in the shop, i buy the phone and that's all.

But since you live in america you think america is the world? Sorry but it's not. I live in Europa and here things works as i said.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:46:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, although I would like evoohees to confirm that this is the one he was referring to, since there are a few of them available.

Yep that's the one, by Andreas. I absolutely love the app. In the Android store you can see there is a normal version and a "test net" version, both by the same author (Andreas).  Don't store a large amount of coins on your phone, but so far it's worked swimmingly for me.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:48:56 PM

In most of the world, you pay for a phone & walk out of the store. That's it. Cash in, phone out.
There is no 'contract'. A phone is sold as-is & not a long term 'lease' with monthly fees.

+1.  In most places, there is no such thing as a mobile phone contract. It is entirely possible to get an Android phone in the $100 range without a contract whatsoever in many places in the world.
pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:12:21 PM

does have someone contact to a smartphone dealer in kenya ?
is someone in the forum here from kenya ?

if not... how can bitcoin exploring the black continent ?

these are the major questions to answer first, then can be develope new ideas...

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:17:43 PM

the black continent

o_O

But anyway. I verified last week, by talking to someone in the Kenyan M-PESA industry, that Bitcoin would indeed be a cheaper alternative to M-PESA for the consumers if the carriers will allow Bitcoin data in their networks.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 06:37:36 PM

concerning the cheap android phones: i read somewhere that patent license costs are expected to exceed 100$ per device in the near future. That was very frustrating news for me as else I see no reason why Android prices should not drop to 30$.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:39:34 PM

i read somewhere that patent license costs are expected to exceed 100$ per device in the near future

Don't worry.

Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html
ffuentes

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 06:41:51 PM

concerning the cheap android phones: i read somewhere that patent license costs are expected to exceed 100$ per device in the near future. That was very frustrating news for me as else I see no reason why Android prices should not drop to 30$.

Patents of Android? ¿? That would be so sad.

does have someone contact to a smartphone dealer in kenya ?
is someone in the forum here from kenya ?

if not... how can bitcoin exploring the black continent ?

these are the major questions to answer first, then can be develope new ideas...

You can read about on http://safaricom.co.ke (Data plans start from 2 dollars)

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:48:31 PM

the black continent

o_O

But anyway. I verified last week, by talking to someone in the Kenyan M-PESA industry, that Bitcoin would indeed be a cheaper alternative to M-PESA for the consumers if the carriers will allow Bitcoin data in their networks.

how can they stop it for smartphones with Internet?
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:30:24 PM

Because there's no concept of net neutrality.

ffuentes

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 07:57:34 PM

Because there's no concept of net neutrality.

You can stop a tcp port, but you can't stop other bitcoin apps. But actually I don't think that bitcoin is blocked in Safaricom net.

My bitcoin address
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:09:47 PM

You can stop a tcp port, but you can't stop other bitcoin apps. But actually I don't think that bitcoin is blocked in Safaricom net.

I don't think anything is blocked, yet. If they want to, I know (really) that the cell network providers (Ericsson, Huawei etc) have deep packet inspection services that can identify and block Bitcoin traffic easily if the carriers wanted to.

evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:21:39 PM

I don't think anything is blocked, yet. If they want to, I know (really) that the cell network providers (Ericsson, Huawei etc) have deep packet inspection services that can identify and block Bitcoin traffic easily if the carriers wanted to.

Doesn't this reveal a more serious problem? If carriers can block Bitcoin traffic, then what's stopping govs from pressuring them to do so? The general impression is that govs can't stop bitcoin without "shutting down the internet" but if carriers can do the blocking, then it would be quite easy for the gov to stop the coin.
ffuentes

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:32:44 PM

The only solution would be a client with data encryption and a bitcoin network compatible. Could be  a problem, but i don't think that Safaricom's even think in that.

My bitcoin address
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:40:15 PM

Doesn't this reveal a more serious problem? If carriers can block Bitcoin traffic, then what's stopping govs from pressuring them to do so?

I'm expecting carriers in countries with no concept of net neutrality to start filter/interrupt Bitcoin traffic just as they are torrents, today. Bitcoin is even a lot easier, there's been no reason to use development resources on a so far nonexistent problem.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: