Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:59:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Schiff on Bitcoin  (Read 38845 times)
joae1975 (OP)

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:43:37 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2013, 05:41:36 AM by joae1975

Peter is talking about the Winklevoss twins and Bitcoins right now.  Will post audio later.

Edit:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21580995/BTC%20Winkle%20and%20Peter.mp3

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:43:07 AM

new audio link posted

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 02:31:57 PM

Ahhh, Peter Schiff Cheesy Always gives people a slap in the face with reality.
usahero

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:01:32 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2013, 09:31:56 PM by usahero

I'm surprised Peter Schiff still has so many followers, considering there was no hyperinflation in 2012 or 2013, no 5000 or 10000$ gold that he predicted, .. Actually gold and silver both lost a lot of value compared to FIAT, so I don't see him as anything else but a paid p&d troll for hyping up gold price.

I can see that he has many devoted followers, and guys, I don't want to argue. I expressed my opinion and I think people should not listen to him, at least not believe him on his words. He is just another cult leader type of guy. ...

And his father is in prison for tax evasion strategies that do not work in reality :pp

Just to clarify... I have not listened to him in more than 1 year now. Maybe I should listen to him about bitcoin..
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:11:33 PM

Nice to hear Peter pointing out how galactically stupid a BTC ETF is.

My guess is these Winklevoss freaks are part of some inbred bloodline and have been so pampered their whole lives they have no idea just how stupid they really are.

I'm grumpy!!
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 12:21:32 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 05:03:57 AM by joae1975

I'm surprised Peter Schiff still has so many followers, considering there was no hyperinflation in 2012 or 2013, no 5000 or 10000$ gold that he predicted, .. Actually gold and silver both lost a lot of value compared to FIAT, so I don't see him as anything else but a paid p&d troll for hyping up gold price.

I can see that he has many devoted followers, and guys, I don't want to argue. I expressed my opinion and I think people should not listen to him, at least not believe him on his words. He is just another cult leader type of guy. ...

And his father is in prison for tax evasion strategies that do not work in reality :pp

Just to clarify... I have not listened to him in more than 1 year now. Maybe I should listen to him about bitcoin..
Remember how people were persecuted for saying the earth is round?  Well it's kind of like that.

joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:05:13 AM

I heard a listener's question today, "Do you think "crypto-currencies" (like BitCoin) will be generally accepted as a method of payment in the future?"

I'm not going to post the audio.  He basically says, "I don't know," then promotes his gold credit card company.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 08:45:14 AM

It's true, I think he did get a bit ahead of himself on this one, the problem is that he was trying to predict an exact price movement and that's extremely difficult to do, he's been entirely right about what has been happening in general though, but I think even he underestimated just how far the central banks are willing to go to keep their system running.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:58:17 PM

It's true, I think he did get a bit ahead of himself on this one, the problem is that he was trying to predict an exact price movement and that's extremely difficult to do, he's been entirely right about what has been happening in general though, but I think even he underestimated just how far the central banks are willing to go to keep their system running.

Well, Schiff is predominately an Austrian economist, but they don't always see things the same way either.  I've been following the predictions and blogs of both him & Mish for many years, approaching a decade now.  While Schiff has had some misses, Mish has been a freaking oracle.  I know for a fact that Mish has been aware of bitcoin for a number of years, because I pointed it out to him myself, but his first impression was just like mine, very skeptical.  I don't believe that he has ever commented on bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 10:54:48 PM

Mish is on the latest Gold Money podcast and he talks about bitcoin towards the end.  He's just like Peter.

Activity: 525

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 12:51:15 PM

Schiff is part of the problem he espouses. He talks (quite entertainingly) about productive capitalism etc yet he himself operates in the finance sector skimming margins from financial products.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:50:57 AM

Mish is on the latest Gold Money podcast and he talks about bitcoin towards the end.  He's just like Peter.

Mish is a complete fraud.

Go search the siliconinvestor archives.  You will find posts where he talks about how hard he has to work as an engineer and what a scam it is to be an investment advisor.  That rapidly develops to him creating his own investment company.  You do the math.

He's a fraud because he's honest about it?  Rich Mayberry is pretty darn honest about it also, investing (and advising same) is a crapload easier than teaching middle schoolers economics.  Why the hell do you think that Schiff does it?  Moral obligations?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:52:34 AM

Bitcoin mentioned on today's show. Will post more later.

joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:11:59 PM

Okay, I listened to it.  It's an interview with Scott Cleland.  It's a pretty interesting interview if you'd like to listen.  They talk about how google controls everything, they mention Snowden a little, and net neutrality.  They talk about bitcoin in the last 2 minutes.  It's pretty pathetic.  He calls it an "app."  So retarded.  Peter didn't really challenge it.  I think Peter needs to have a real bitcoin expert on his show.  Who could be on his show that really knows about it and can speak in terms of Austrian economics?

Link here:  Is 20:30 long, skip to 19:00 for bitcoin discussion.  Warning: Really lame!
ScottCleland_082713.mp3

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 02:52:34 PM

Okay, I listened to it.  It's an interview with Scott Cleland.  It's a pretty interesting interview if you'd like to listen.  They talk about how google controls everything, they mention Snowden a little, and net neutrality.  They talk about bitcoin in the last 2 minutes.  It's pretty pathetic.  He calls it an "app."  So retarded.  Peter didn't really challenge it.  I think Peter needs to have a real bitcoin expert on his show.  Who could be on his show that really knows about it and can speak in terms of Austrian economics?

Link here:  Is 20:30 long, skip to 19:00 for bitcoin discussion.  Warning: Really lame!
ScottCleland_082713.mp3

Truly horrible lies and misleading.
"Currency is legal tender" - wrong
"Its a scam" - wrong
"Its a ponzi scheme" - wrong

That said, it is an art to "dumb it down" for mainstream without introducing inaccuracies or making their eyes glaze over by using unfamiliar terms of art, or explaining things that they don't need to know.

There are wallet apps, but to say Bitcoin is an app is wrong.... BUT... For the general population, it may be ok for them to think of it that way if that is the main way they use it daily.  All this behind-the-scenes stuff is not going to help them, all they really care about is that it is better money.  They need the benefits, not the features, and not the specifications. 
For them...
It is money that can let them buy things less expensively and more privately, carry more on hand safely without fear of theft, inflation-proof, etc. 

The average person is not prone to bring their world philosophy into their shopping trip and we don't have to expect that of them.  So long as they get what they want, which may be "an app that works like a coupon for discounts on everything". Smiley  The philosophy just happens as a result of making it that easy, making it better than the alternatives.  We each have a role to play in that.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:10:18 PM

Okay, it's been a while, but last Friday, Oct. 4th (the 100th anniversary of the US income tax) Peter talked about the Silk Road seizure and bitcoin.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21580995/pa_20131004jghf_low.mp3

Also, later this week (thurs/fri) on The Tom Woods Show (new.)  He's going to be interviewing Erik Voorhees.
Check here:  http://www.schiffradio.com/f/Tom-Woods
I'll also try and post audio too.

painlord2k

Activity: 453
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:27:33 AM

@ joae1975
Thanks for the clip(s).
Interesting.
Doraemon2013

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:02:00 AM

In the year -400 (more or less) Aristoteles defined the characteristics that should have money, durable, portable, divisible, intrinsically value, scarce, difficult to falsify. Fiat currency does not meet them and it is a very bad money. Gold meet those criteria but its obsolete and not practical. Bitcoin meet Aristoteles criteria much better. Franklin Roosevelt stole the gold but he could not have stolen bitcoins.

Gold has been used during thousands of years that is why some people like Peter Schiff or Mike Maloney are very stubborn and do not accept new technologies, bitcoin is a big threat to them and do not want to accept this change.
At the end of world war I british invented the tank and it was a threat to the cavalry because it would replace it. The members of cavalry said that tanks were a shit, not practical and could not replace the cavalry which existed for thousands of year. When world war II started the german tanks won very very easily the polish cavalry. Bitcoin will do the same that did the tank.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:44:49 PM

In the year -400 (more or less) Aristoteles defined the characteristics that should have money, durable, portable, divisible, intrinsically value, scarce, difficult to falsify. Fiat currency does not meet them and it is a very bad money. Gold meet those criteria but its obsolete and not practical. Bitcoin meet Aristoteles criteria much better. Franklin Roosevelt stole the gold but he could not have stolen bitcoins.

Gold has been used during thousands of years that is why some people like Peter Schiff or Mike Maloney are very stubborn and do not accept new technologies, bitcoin is a big threat to them and do not want to accept this change.
At the end of world war I british invented the tank and it was a threat to the cavalry because it would replace it. The members of cavalry said that tanks were a shit, not practical and could not replace the cavalry which existed for thousands of year. When world war II started the german tanks won very very easily the polish cavalry. Bitcoin will do the same that did the tank.
I believe you and I understand what your saying.  But bitcoin is only good for one thing.  Au/Ag have industrial purposes.  I think that's the difference.  They have a very long history.  So until bitcoin can prove itself through history, people will remain skeptical.

tweet Tom Woods today

Talking to @ErikVoorhees later this week about the future of Bitcoin after Silk Road. Got any good questions? #tlot

https://twitter.com/thomasewoods/status/387944160944087040

joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 12:04:07 AM

I just listened to the Tom Woods interview with Eric Voorhees and you didn't miss anything.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: