Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:42:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power efficiency: 8+ GPU rig running normal OS from USB?  (Read 323 times)
jmigdlc99 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 06:47:08 AM

Does anyone have experience running the OS of a mining rig with more than 8 GPUs from a USB? Can you do this with traditional operating systems like linux and windows?
Actually, I already know this can be done, my question is actually is it efficient and worth doing? Or will it just be a big headache?

Im asking because as far as I know running off from USB is more power efficient than running the OS from an SSD. Electricity isn't exactly cheap from where I am and I am looking to do this to reduce power costs.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farfanx4

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 06:52:32 AM

My friend told me tried it but it s was t efficient, he told he lost about 1.5M/h per GPU. And after some time he got a lot of errors and some GPU got disconnected.

Whitepaper     E M R X Token   :   LEARN MORE   
      E M I R E X         ─── إمركس ───          :         The Infrastructure for the
  [ telegram    facebook    TWITTER ]         New Digital Economy
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 07:08:14 AM
Last edit: October 03, 2017, 06:48:41 PM by xxcsu

That few watts or less different between usb stick and ssd not going to cost you any noticeable amount of money .
if you are using 1 watt and paying 0.25$/kwh , you paying around 2.2$ for a year
if you are using 1 watt and paying 0.10$/kwh , you paying around 0.9$ for a year
SSD much faster Smiley

USB Flash Drive

SSD

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
jmigdlc99 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 03:26:03 PM

That few watts or less different between usb stick and ssd not going to cost you any noticeable amount of money .
if you are using 1 watt and paying 0.25$/kwh , you paying around 2.2$ for a year
if you are using 1 watt and paying 0.10$/kwh , you paying around 0.9$ for a year
SSD much faster Smiley
I see. Thanks for the charts and comparison. But have you actually tried using a USB for a mining rig? I am curious as to how stable it is, regardless of speed. Power cost-consumption can be higher in some places and when you have a lot of rigs, the savings, no matter how small, can still stack up.

USB 3.0s or those portable disks should work fine right?

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 06:42:22 PM

SSD much faster Smiley
I see. Thanks for the charts and comparison. But have you actually tried using a USB for a mining rig? I am curious as to how stable it is, regardless of speed. Power cost-consumption can be higher in some places and when you have a lot of rigs, the savings, no matter how small, can still stack up.

USB 3.0s or those portable disks should work fine right?

The problem is you concentrating on a few dollars electricity price different between USB drive or SSD !
Let see if you have to reboot you mining rigs , with USB boot you might need time somewhere between 90-120 second with windows 10 , with the properly configured SSD install you need 30 second or less  , so miner can start work 3-4 time faster with SSD than booting from USB ! So after each boot you can start earning money 60-90 second sooner with SSD Smiley we are talking about very very small amount of money what you can earn , or lose with the power usage of ssd or usb / booting time

Yes i tried mining from usb installed os, i dont like it all bc its much slower that ssd , time is money Smiley Yes you can run Linux , Windows from USB without any problem.
If you thinking to buy USB3 portable disks for you booting device , i just dont understand why you not using internal hdd or ssd , also external usb hdd are drawing more power that USB flash drives Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Rody81

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 07:11:23 PM

I have a 7 card rig running off a usb 3.0 512GB Toshiba External HDD with Windows 10 Pro and have no issues whatsoever.  My rig is 7 x GTX 1060 on Biostar BT250-BTC Pro.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: