Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 03:11:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to run a GPU under 45 degrees ?  (Read 915 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:31:23 PM

When you cards heat up the outside air, humidity level will DROP - it's not going to be an issue.

Condensation happens when the air is WARMER than the surface it passes over - the exact OPPOSITE of what mining rig does to the air.

I might worry about a card with an OPERATING temperature a ways into the negative C range, mostly due to the possibility of the fan lubrication getting too cold - but it would take a VERY cold airflow to manage that.
 STARTUP of a rig that gets that cold might be a nightmare though.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:10:54 PM

I ran a couple miners (ASIC and GPU) around 0 degrees Fahrenheit last year, and the operation ran smooth as butter with temperatures doing very well. As time goes on the temperature of the devices themselves will eventually go up too. Realistically it’s just a matter of keeping them in a stable place with ventilation and shelter from the elements and you are set. I also like to keep humidity down.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 02:04:06 AM

Pretty silly question. This is like asking is it safe to keep my GPU turned off?
FYI, when turned off your GPU is probably at below 20 degrees depending on your ambient temperature.

Just remember, lower temps = longer life span for your GPU.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: