Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:01:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what benefits can I get if giving s merit to others?  (Read 247 times)
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 01:11:43 AM

What are the benefits I get, if benefiting others? maybe friends in this forum can explain

Here is a key thing that I think that some people are misunderstanding about how Merit/sMerit works:

When you give sMerit, you do not lose any of your Merit.  Keeping sMerit does not increase your Merit balance and sending it does not decrease your Merit balance.

I have seen more than a few instances of people giving each other sMerit for good posts on a thread.  Probably, some of these were mutual sMeriting.  As in, "I'll send XXX a sMerit because they had a good post", followed by XXX, "I'll send YYY back a sMerit to thank them for sending me one".  So if you think about it in that way, you could potentially benefit from rewarding someone for a good post because they might thank you by returning the favor.

I see that there's been lots of complaints about the merit system but it's really a new change and I think it takes time to see how it works in practice for longer than just the initial deployment/adjustment period.

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shamie1002

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 06:34:32 AM

Nothing.
 But if you would think about it, it's like you have said that " why read about others comments and opinions in a thread that you have your own answer already ? "

Giving merit is like giving credits to those who have given you new information and somehow gave you another clarification about something.
You benifited from their answer and giving merit is a way of giving credits ? Why would you ask for more that ? Knowledge is more than enough especially in forums like this.

Also, giving merits makes a valuable contribution in the forum. Making it visible that everyone can actually help in gaining information.
tingcq9

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 07:26:41 AM

What are the benefits I get, if benefiting others? maybe friends in this forum can explain
Currently do not see any benefit, do not know next year Forum will not give the benefits of management, after all, the system is still experimental stage.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2018, 11:46:11 PM

Why do people are searching for benefits everywhere? How you benefit when you click like on Facebook post or Youtube video? Are you also searching for benefits when you are donating to charity?
By giving sMerits you are motivating users to continue making quality posts. More good quality posts = more content which are worth to read, this is what mostly of us want to see.
Finally, there are no reasons to hold your sMerits. What if everyone would have same attitude to not send their sMerits? Nobody will be able to rank up then

BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 12:29:05 AM

Why do people are searching for benefits everywhere? How you benefit when you click like on Facebook post or Youtube video? Are you also searching for benefits when you are donating to charity?
By giving sMerits you are motivating users to continue making quality posts. More good quality posts = more content which are worth to read, this is what mostly of us want to see.
Finally, there are no reasons to hold your sMerits. What if everyone would have same attitude to not send their sMerits? Nobody will be able to rank up then

I agree.  If you want to consider it a benefit, by giving sMerit to deserving posters, you are doing your part to encourage quality posts.  If everyone uses the sMerit system properly, the good posters will rise up and the poor quality posts will diminish, which saves everyone time and makes for a better board.

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: