Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:52:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pow/pos/poc  (Read 265 times)
AtticO (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:38:02 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the difference between proof of work, proof of stake and proof of concept, but every time I think I get it I read something that completely confuses me.
could someone explain this and not go to much into detail?
and why prefer one over the other?

thank you!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
followmenot

Activity: 533
Merit: 251

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:47:12 AM

Proof of work coins are basically obtained (or mined) by work, by some electricity and calculations.
Proof of stake coins are basically obtained by having them and leasing to nodes if I am not wrong. I don't know what proof of concept is.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
dzkrb1966

Activity: 602
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:50:54 AM

I think you've read all kinds of nonsense here. You, probably, yourself now can not prove to yourself that you exist. What is proof in general? These are the arguments in favor of the existence of something. Some can prove to you that there is life on the moon. Will you believe it? And the fact that Neznaika was the first cosmonaut?
OneUserOne

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 11:21:42 AM

Proof of work coins are basically obtained (or mined) by work, by some electricity and calculations.
Proof of stake coins are basically obtained by having them and leasing to nodes if I am not wrong. I don't know what proof of concept is.

In general, that's what it is. Proof of concept is basically the demonstration of a theory in order to confirm potentially feasible concepts, without having any finished product, just the theory.
adam1230
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:04:27 PM

PoW coins future is limited to max 5 years for me. All going to turn PoS and this means less energy and a green world.
lokinator

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:31:30 PM

PoW coins future is limited to max 5 years for me. All going to turn PoS and this means less energy and a green world.

I think PoW coins will be around a lot longer than 5 years. But, I will agree they are going to phase out "soon."

But to reiterate for the OP --

PoW = Proof of Work. PoW is traditional crypto mining. Using hardware and electricity to provide solutions to work toward solving a block. When a block is solved a reward is granted to the miner(s).

PoS = Proof of Stake. This is when you have a number of coins that you are willing to "freeze" (can't be immediately traded) to support the network/project. PoS is done in many different ways. Sometimes it is through pool leasing and sometimes it is done simply by holding coins in an unlocked (for staking) wallet. You essentially get a small reward for providing assurance that you won't dump all your coins and for using your network (or pool's network) to assist with blockchain transactions -- the amount of coins you or your pool has increases it's weight (likelihood for rewards) and potential reward size. In short, think of this as bank interest for blockchains. The more money you have in savings, the more interest you receive from the bank each month/year.

PoC = Proof of Concept. It is very uncommon to see any crypto using PoC. I believe the general idea is that you need to prove your ability to mine with PoW or to stake a substantial supply of coins with PoS, but don't actually have to mine or stake anything (yet). I haven't participated in any PoC based projects, but I believe this would be something they might implement in early stages of development or before a blockchain transitions from PoW to PoS.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6186

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:38:24 PM

Maybe you are confusing Proof of Concept and Proof of Capacity?

"Proof of Capacity" is also abbreviated with "PoC" and is a still little-tested consensus algorithm (and yes, it would be a competitor to Proof of Stake and Proof of Work). To "mine", you must allocate space on your hard drive for the process, and the more space you allocate the more chances you have to find blocks and get rewards. It is also called "Proof of space".

The only cryptocurrency I know that is using a public blockchain and this algorithm is Burst, but there are other, even more advanced proposals (see this Wikipedia article and this proposal from Bittorrent creator Bram Cohen).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
lokinator

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:49:26 PM

Maybe you are confusing Proof of Concept and Proof of Capacity?

"Proof of Capacity" is also abbreviated with "PoC" and is a still little-tested consensus algorithm (and yes, it would be a competitor to Proof of Stake and Proof of Work). To "mine", you must allocate space on your hard drive for the process, and the more space you allocate the more chances you have to find blocks and get rewards. It is also called "Proof of space".

The only cryptocurrency I know that is using a public blockchain and this algorithm is Burst, but there are other, even more advanced proposals (see this Wikipedia article and this proposal from Bittorrent creator Bram Cohen).

Good call -- It is much more likely to see a Proof of Capacity project than Proof of Concept. I probably should have considered explaining that one as well in case he was confused with the original question.

I personally believe PoC (capacity) will be much more regularly utilized in the future. There are a lot of up and coming projects that revolve around decentralized storage.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: