Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:36:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! powered USB hub scares me!  (Read 2051 times)
shmadz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 12:23:29 AM

I recently bought this as a hub for 4 little singles and 4 of MrTeal's chili boards.

It has a molex connector and 2 usb connectors that go to the extra usb connections on your motherboard.

When I plug in the molex and plug in the power supply (have not yet hit the power on the motherboard) the CPU fan starts to spin...

Yes, the cpu fan is spinning even when the computer is turned off...

Is this dangerous? Or is this not a big deal and it's just the extra power from the molex feeding back through the USB connectors on the motherboard and all will be fine once there are devices connected on the hub?

Should I try to simply run it without the molex? I'm really not sure that little singles need a powered hub?

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kuusj98

Activity: 812

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:14:36 AM

I am kinda parnanoide on such things, I would not trust it....
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 12:52:33 PM

I recently bought this as a hub for 4 little singles and 4 of MrTeal's chili boards.

It has a molex connector and 2 usb connectors that go to the extra usb connections on your motherboard.

When I plug in the molex and plug in the power supply (have not yet hit the power on the motherboard) the CPU fan starts to spin...

Is this dangerous? Or is this not a big deal and it's just the extra power from the molex feeding back through the USB connectors on the motherboard and all will be fine once there are devices connected on the hub?

Should I try to simply run it without the molex? I'm really not sure that little singles need a powered hub?

That is perfectly normal.

zerocode20

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 01:31:18 PM

Seen this before with cheap powered hubs. Nothing much to really worry about.

"That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character."
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:25:15 PM

that damaged the wifi card in my netbook.
zerocode20

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:48:25 PM

that damaged the wifi card in my netbook.

I really don't think that is true. The USB 5V power is coming from a voltage regulator on board. Additionally to the voltage regulation circuit, it is protected by a series of diodes and resistors. Also, some manufacturers use phase-change fuses rated at 500mA to prevent this type of occurrence.

"That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character."
leoragraves666

Activity: 227

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:53:39 PM

I would change it for something that doesn't scare me Grin. Seen this before, nothing to worry about

PC & Mac repairs
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 07:31:45 PM

as a hub only (BFL stuff grabs power elsewhere) you can skip the molex connector. whats happening is that the 5v feed is being pushed from the hub to your pc's usb ports.

i had a similar powered hub that actually grabbed power from my laptop's usb port and pushed it to the [turned off] psu, causing its fan to spin.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
shmadz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:23:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, I think I will just leave the molex disconnected. I'm pretty sure both the little singles and MrTeal's board are using the USB for data only.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:17:38 AM

Proper powered hubs should plug directly in to the wall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: