Are GPUs still relevant and for how long

(1/23) > >>

aznewsh:
I have tried to do a lot of research and used calculators etc, however there is a lot of guesswork and I would appreciate more informed opinions.

With ASICs on the horizon - If I were to invest in GPUs:

1) Am I likely to get at least my money back?

2) Are there realistic options in Alt currencies that the GPU could be useful for vs ASIC - can ASIC at this point or in the near future be used in Alt?

3) Are there any realistic ASIC options at this point, all the sellers seem rather dodgy to me?

4) What other angles could I look at other than actually buying Bitcoin of course?

Feel free to add any other pearls of wisdom that spring to mind...

Thanks for your time.

odie158:
The manufacturers do seem rather dodgy don't they? I am personally not willing to send thousands of dollars to a website for the promise of fortune later (unless of course it's a Nigerian widow).
I believe that if ASICS are that good, mainstream companies will begin producing them and the price will drop once they are in full production. I say wait.

kuriboh:
Well I think when you can't make profit with BTC change the mining to an alt coin with the same GPU.
Anyways you are less likely to loss completily you investment because GPU's can easily resell to a PC Gamers.

nwoolls:
Here's what I've found in doing similar research and then crunching the numbers in available profit calculators. Your realistic options for things you can do to mine right now are:

Add a powerful GPU to an existing PC (600 Mh/s - $280)Build a 4 GPU rig specifically for mining (2400 Mh/s - $1600)Buy an ASICMINER Blade (12000 Mh/s - $6500)Buy an ASICMINER USB Erupter (333 Mh/s - $275)Buy a Lancelot FPGA (400 Mh/s - $350)
If you plug these into any of the mining calculators I think you'll find that the most of the options break even in 3-4 months. After that you are looking at things like:

You can re-sell the GPU's but they are very hot and draw a lot of powerYou can re-purpose the FPGA's or resell themAn ASIC will only ever hash for Bitcoins but draws very little power
Of course then there's all the preorder mumbo jumbo with various companies, the group buys for chips that you then have to build into a working PCB, and the ASICMINER shares.

massnerder:
Quote from: kuriboh on June 02, 2013, 05:49:06 PM

Well I think when you can't make profit with BTC change the mining to an alt coin with the same GPU.
Anyways you are less likely to loss completily you investment because GPU's can easily resell to a PC Gamers.

This.  The GPU rig you can point at a profitable scrypt coin after BTC hits a difficulty level that makes it unrealistic, or sell it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page