Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:08:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: List of all bitcoin.conf parameters  (Read 11054 times)
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:11:49 PM

The title almost says it all. I've been searching around and surprisingly I couldn't find a list of the parameters all together. Any link?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:13:31 PM

The title almost says it all. I've been searching around and surprisingly I couldn't find a list of the parameters all together. Any link?

Did you check the bitcoin wiki? https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 08:53:13 PM

Yes, but I had strong doubts the list is complete. I just checked the page again and noticed this: "All command-line options (except for -datadir and -conf) may be specified in a configuration file, and all configuration file options may also be specified on the command line.".

So it looks like it would be complete.

But the reason I thought at first it was incomplete remains, the parameter "mintxfee" is mentioned here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees#Sending
but not on the list page. Thus I wonder if the parameter is valid or if there are also other existing ones not mentioned in the list.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:03:12 PM

But the reason I thought at first it was incomplete remains, the parameter "mintxfee" is mentioned here:
but not on the list page. Thus I wonder if the parameter is valid or if there are also other existing ones not mentioned in the list.
that was left out intentionally.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

that was left out intentionally.

Out of the documented list? Why? Other parameter as well?

grue
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:08:30 PM

It was left out because the developers did not want users to tinker with it. Having an inconsistent fee policy across nodes has a devastating effect on the network. If each node has its own relay policy, it would be difficult for the client to decide what fee to use. This will result in transactions not being propagated.

binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:28:01 PM

It was left out because the developers did not want users to tinker with it. Having an inconsistent fee policy across nodes has a devastating effect on the network. If each node has its own relay policy, it would be difficult for the client to decide what fee to use. This will result in transactions not being propagated.
From your explanation I understand that the parameter is for filtering transactions that are relayed?
What I thought was that this parameter is to specify a minimum tx fee to include, even if the transaction is smaller than 1KB. Currently the rules implemented in the bitcoin-qt client sends some transactions without any fees if they meet a certain number of criteria. There is no way to enforce that a fee is always used?

grue
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:21:33 PM

From your explanation I understand that the parameter is for filtering transactions that are relayed?
What I thought was that this parameter is to specify a minimum tx fee to include, even if the transaction is smaller than 1KB. Currently the rules implemented in the bitcoin-qt client sends some transactions without any fees if they meet a certain number of criteria. There is no way to enforce that a fee is always used?
that's a different setting. paytxfee is for how much fee per kb.

also, release notes for 0.8.2:
Fee Policy changes

The default fee for low-priority transactions is lowered from 0.0005 BTC
(for each 1,000 bytes in the transaction; an average transaction is
about 500 bytes) to 0.0001 BTC.

Payments (transaction outputs) of 0.543 times the minimum relay fee
(0.00005430 BTC) are now considered 'non-standard', because storing them
costs the network more than they are worth and spending them will usually
cost their owner more in transaction fees than they are worth.

Non-standard transactions are not relayed across the network, are not included
in blocks by most miners, and will not show up in your wallet until they are
included in a block.

The default fee policy can be overridden using the -mintxfee and -minrelaytxfee
command-line options
, but note that we intend to replace the hard-coded fees
with code that automatically calculates and suggests appropriate fees in the
0.9 release and note that if you set a fee policy significantly different from
the rest of the network your transactions may never confirm.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:21:14 PM

There should never be undocumented "features". How terribly unprofessional. If they don't want people using it, they should not put it in.
binaryFate (OP)
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:03:01 PM

Specially because everybody's pushing for the emergence of a "free market" for tx fee. As I understand it, it would mean I can decide of a minimum fee if I want to, it is not that esoteric as a whishes.
But whatever is the reason for people to use it or not, if it exists as a parameter it should at least be documented for advanced users and developers. My view is that, if as a user of bitcoind I interact with it at the level of raw transactions, I would need a full documentation and I should be able to understand the reasoning of the core devs about what makes sense as a usage or not.

grue
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:31:32 PM

Specially because everybody's pushing for the emergence of a "free market" for tx fee. As I understand it, it would mean I can decide of a minimum fee if I want to, it is not that esoteric as a whishes.
But whatever is the reason for people to use it or not, if it exists as a parameter it should at least be documented for advanced users and developers. My view is that, if as a user of bitcoind I interact with it at the level of raw transactions, I would need a full documentation and I should be able to understand the reasoning of the core devs about what makes sense as a usage or not.

There should never be undocumented "features". How terribly unprofessional. If they don't want people using it, they should not put it in.

see:
here's the discussion on github: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2577

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: