Bitcoin Forum
October 24, 2017, 01:02:58 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain's S9 price?  (Read 2535 times)
plexasm

Activity: 52

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:09:47 PM

I am confused by the pricing on the Bitmain website for S9's

http://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201709281019141777wvS8I1g068C

It's saying $1265, and will ship from nov 21 - nov 30

But, S7's are selling on ebay for ~$700. S9's are selling on ebay for ~$3k

Are people just this stupid to pay triple what they're worth instead of waiting for Nov 21?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wavelengthsf

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:23:44 PM

People would rather pay more to have it now than wait for Bitmain to ship it or deal with sending them Bitcoin Cash (the only payment they accept for this batch).

Difficulty is increasing rapidly, making any time you're waiting to mine more expensive.
plexasm

Activity: 52

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:30:23 PM

People would rather pay more to have it now than wait for Bitmain to ship it or deal with sending them Bitcoin Cash (the only payment they accept for this batch).

Difficulty is increasing rapidly, making any time you're waiting to mine more expensive.

I see, but by paying 3x the price you're making it really difficult to hit your ROI

i guess people just want to start quickly
ekurtovic

Activity: 56

Bosnia...

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:40:51 PM

mining is hot right now, and price of BTC is bigger then in past, so lot of company (Bitmain) now wants quick money because market is ask ask ask... but they cannot make enough, so...
boltz
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:57:29 PM

mining is hot right now, and price of BTC is bigger then in past, so lot of company (Bitmain) now wants quick money because market is ask ask ask... but they cannot make enough, so...

Mining is hot ? How is that ? Mining is good if u live in china or if you have a big hash power , the early days of mining are long gone mate Sad

QuintLeo

Activity: 854

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:35:57 PM

I am confused by the pricing on the Bitmain website for S9's

http://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201709281019141777wvS8I1g068C

It's saying $1265, and will ship from nov 21 - nov 30

But, S7's are selling on ebay for ~$700. S9's are selling on ebay for ~$3k

Are people just this stupid to pay triple what they're worth instead of waiting for Nov 21?

Availability.

The S9 is commonly only available for perhaps 2-3 days out of a MONTH most months direct from Bitmain.
 They seem to order a new batch of chips from the foundry about once a month (I presume they order the biggest batch they (1) can afford out of cash on hand, or (2) the foundry will LET them order).
 They SELL OUT those miners commonly in 2 days or less.
 The rest of the month they have nothing left to sell.
 They get the batch of chips in, turn them into miners, and ship them to the folks that have pre-ordered them.

Due to the massive jump in Bitcoin pricing over the last "almost a year", and the later huge jump in almost all alt-coin pricing starting around March timeframe this year, mining has been VERY VERY hot indeed the last few months.
 It's STARTING to cool down quite a bit as the installed hashrate jump is approaching the size of the price jump, but it's STILL not there yet on Bitcoin and many of the Altcoins.

You don't have to live in China to be profitable on mining - you just need low-enough electric cost, which is why I MOVED last summer from Iowa to "The Land Of Super Cheap Electric" in Central/Eastern Washington when I decided to "go pro" on mining.

leowonderful

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 09:21:38 PM

Don't forget that Bitmain only accepts payment by Shitcoin Cash for crypto and don't accept payment by BTC for crypto options on the new batch S9s which is probably why they have taken so long to sell. Probably intentional in an attempt to raise the price of BCH which will likely fail.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
ekurtovic

Activity: 56

Bosnia...

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 10:13:05 PM

Mining is hot ? How is that ? Mining is good if u live in china or if you have a big hash power , the early days of mining are long gone mate Sad

are you kidding... so why is price of HW jump and out of stock...
leowonderful

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 12:02:34 AM

are you kidding... so why is price of HW jump and out of stock...
The price rise as mentioned before. ROI is now shorter for S9s and profit is actually reasonable to the point more people are now buying and miner manufacturers are either mining with the miners more themselves or they can't keep up with demand. Bitmain usually does announce batch releases of their miners via Twitter, so that's a good start.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
wtxinnovate

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 01:07:14 AM

As you can see I'm a noob, I'm about to place an order on BITMAIN and looking thread how legit is the site. Any advice? should I consider the price of 1265 or look and order now?

TIA
NCR

Activity: 1

Montaigne Fan

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 03:48:55 PM

Im a noob as well and I'm also interested in buying an S9 from that batch. Do you know how much would that mean in BCC if you decide to make your order on Bitmain? (I assume that shipping costs would also have to be added there.)
fanatic26

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 03:50:47 PM

The antminer is currently available at this price:

1265 USD    ( 0.29353345 BTC; 3.51975515 BCC; 24.59653899 LTC; )

We wont be able to tell you how much shipping will be, bitmain will calculate that and tell you how much to pay when you order.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1232

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 04:04:22 PM

You don't have to live in China to be profitable on mining - you just need low-enough electric cost, which is why I MOVED last summer from Iowa to "The Land Of Super Cheap Electric" in Central/Eastern Washington when I decided to "go pro" on mining.
My friend keeps saying that all that Bitcoin mining business has been invented and sponsored by public power utilities world-wide to keep idiots busy, operating their 10 times overpriced electric heaters connected 24h/30d to the grid, charged huge electricity bills to keep price of electricity high and electricity demand higher every month.
And your friend is the idiot.
One could just as well say that the electric light and the electric motor were invented to keep the power companies in business.
Point is -- we make GOOD money mining. Much more than it costs to run the miners so like any business, as long as income exceeds expenses who the frick cares?

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 1890

A new tool for prediction https://bitvol.info/

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 04:09:23 PM

Im a noob as well and I'm also interested in buying an S9 from that batch. Do you know how much would that mean in BCC if you decide to make your order on Bitmain? (I assume that shipping costs would also have to be added there.)

I am in usa
it would be 1265 + 70 = 1335 usd  if you use ups.

at the moment 1335 usd = 3.71 bcc to 3.75 bcc  depends on exchange rate  it fluxes

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
QuintLeo

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 05:30:10 PM

Don't forget that Bitmain only accepts payment by Shitcoin Cash for crypto and don't accept payment by BTC for crypto options on the new batch S9s which is probably why they have taken so long to sell. Probably intentional in an attempt to raise the price of BCH which will likely fail.

Actuallly it looks like they are asking for payment in BitConnectCoin now - I had to do a lot of digging to even FIND that coin listed anywhere.

Or else they're making the common mistake of calling Bitcoin Cash "BCC" when "BCC" was ALREADY TAKEN and Bitcoin Cash is properly refered to as BCH or some such.

In any event, that has answered the question someone posted in another thread as to WHY the S9 is still in stock on the Bitmain website - nobody wants to deal with that FAIL JUNK COIN.

QuintLeo

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 05:32:26 PM

BTW what is an energy efficiency of modern miners and how much electricity gets converted into thermal energy ?

Not really an applicable question for ANY form of computing equipment. Pretty much ALL of the energy any modern computer uses (ASIC or otherwise) ends up as heat.

The APPLICABLE questions are more along the line of "how much hashrate per watt on this algorithm" or "how much do I earn vs. how much electric cost do I pay".

fanatic26

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 04:53:41 PM

You didn't understand my question.
If thermal efficiency of miner is about 90% so 90% of electricity (electrical energy is converted into thermal energy), older models of miners can still find use and application as genuine electric heaters in the winter.
Ok, noise is the problem.

Every miner generation will be different as they all use different numbers of chips at different efficiency levels so there is no single answer to your question.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 05:11:22 PM

It's true that any miner can be used as a heater. If you're using electric heat in your home anyway, there's no reason not to. I have an electric furnace in my apartment that I haven't used in two years because I've got old miners.

The issue is going to be, a super-old miner that produces the same amount of heat as a newer miner won't return as much in mining revenues so it will "cost more" to operate than a newer miner, though no matter what, that "cost" is less than powering a resistive heating element because return is non-zero.

It's getting harder and harder, however, to find decent miners that aren't terribly loud. If you can't get somtehing sturdy like an S4 and undervolt it, I recommend an S7-LN or an S7 hacked to about 900W/3.7TH with quiet fans. Still puts up decent heat without a lot of noise, can be run on a good 110V circuit. An Avalon4.1 would also be pretty nice as a heater, those are fairly quiet out of the box. And any of these can be bought second-hand without having to trade in BCH and deal with Bitmain's shenanigans.

Selling seconds 2Pacs for a friend's med bills - PM for details
Currently in development - 20-120GH USB stick; 700GH 75W pod; 4TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
VRobb

Activity: 658

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 06:08:33 PM

BTW what is an energy efficiency of modern miners and how much electricity gets converted into thermal energy ?

Not really an applicable question for ANY form of computing equipment. Pretty much ALL of the energy any modern computer uses (ASIC or otherwise) ends up as heat.

The APPLICABLE questions are more along the line of "how much hashrate per watt on this algorithm" or "how much do I earn vs. how much electric cost do I pay".

If thermal efficiency of miner is about 90% so 90% of electricity (electrical energy is converted into thermal energy), older models of miners can still find use and application as genuine electric heaters in the winter.
Yes he did...

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck
In Hotels, I prefer the 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), & S9-13.5
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1232

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 06:46:14 PM

That is where you blew it. ALL power into the PSU and miner is eventually turned into heat. As in 100% of it which includes whatever minuscule power is moving through the LAN cables.

As others pointed out the real question is how many GHs is produced for each Joule of energy used.

When it comes to heating, thermal efficiency only relates to the percentage of potential/chemical energy contained in a fuel vs energy out of a process, eg how well and cleanly it is burned. When a fuel burns it not only releases heat but also a substantial amount of various byproducts and those byproducts are where the unused potential energy goes into.

When it comes to heating with electric power that particular relationship does not exist as the only user byproduct is -- heat.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.