Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:11:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unconfirmed transaction for a month!!  (Read 238 times)
JeffArryn (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:26:42 PM

6860c1ba867067637948e6dc2c66b074c6d467035765fc30b1f185d0c61d5bd4

I sent my transaction with a little low fees (there was no rush, so I expected it to arrive between a few hours and a couple days), but it was on 6th December, right before the huge spike of unconfirmed transactions that came in December and that still remains.

At this point I actually want the transaction to disappear from my Ledger. Problem is I have Ledger Nano S, so it's a wallet that doesn't allow the option to double-spend my coins using a higher fee. I don't know any other way to cancel, I read that after about 2-3 weeks it disappears on its own, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there any way I can make it disappear on my own?

Thank you, really appreciate

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
salahcryptowin

Activity: 58
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:31:31 PM

You can make another transfer from the same wallet after the transfer will be the same problem after sending to another conversion Confirmation of the conversion was pending for more than two weeks
P-Funk

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Token

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:43:50 PM

Like salahcryptowin said just try sending it again. If the Nano S doesn't let you do that, you may have to look at getting or deriving the private keys from the 3 addresses used for inputs on the transaction.
JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 11:45:41 PM

You mean double-spending?
Ledger nano s doesn't allow to do that sadly Sad

you may have to look at getting or deriving the private keys from the 3 addresses used for inputs on the transaction.

How could I do that?
JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 08:12:25 AM

up!
JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 07:00:25 AM

up! It's very important please!
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2018, 09:51:56 AM

If the Nano S doesn't let you do that, you may have to look at getting or deriving the private keys from the 3 addresses used for inputs on the transaction.

The nano s is just a hardware device which lets you sign transactions by pushing buttons.
If something doesn't let you do that, its because of the wallet client used (in most cases: ledgers chrome app).

I don't know any other way to cancel, I read that after about 2-3 weeks it disappears on its own, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

The reference value is 14 days. But every node decides how long he keeps transactions in the mempool.
If a different node (or maybe your wallet) is rebroadcasting your transaction it might never get dropped from the network.

Is there any way I can make it disappear on my own?

Unfortunately, no. You can't make other nodes forget about something.
There are 2 scenarios where transactions 'disappear':
1) When a conflicting transaction has been included into a block, the TX will be dropped
2) 'all nodes' (or better: the nodes which are 'important' to you) drop your TX for any reason (e.g. not confirmed 14+ days)

The easier way to solve your problem would be to get your TX through, instead of trying to abandon it.
I would suggest you to do a child-pays-for-parent. This works as long you control at least one output of your transaction (most likely your change from the TX).
You can use your nano s with electrum (https://electrum.org/#download). Electrum lets you choose specific 'coins' to send from.
From your addresses tab you need to choose the change address from your unconfirmed TX and right click -> 'spend from'.
Afterwards send your coins to an address of yourself and include a fee which is high enoug to cover both of your transactions fee.
To get an estimation you can visit https://estimatefee.com/.

This way you don't need to import your seed phrase into another wallet (as mentioned earlier by others).
With 'just connecting' your nano s to electrum your seed still stays safe and you will have to confirm the TX on your device.
Afterwards you can uninstall electrum (if you wish) and you don't have to consider your seed as compromised because it never left your device.

JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 10:42:05 AM

I really appreciate your clear message, but now it doesn't matter because for some reason beyond my understanding, 1 month later, a transaction with 2$ fee, has got confirmed as of now. It was a transaction I made from Leger nano s to an online wallet which has a debit card (the only way you can withdraw), but now the company which provides the cards for them (Wavecrest) has shut down because of a Visa Europe directive.

So now my transaction for whatever reason has been confirmed now, whereas card top ups have been deactivated (and also BTC price had risen somewhat).

My online wallet support is very good (though these days I imagine they will be overwhelmed for the Visa thing), so let's hope they can work it out.

Lesson learned. Don't try to go cheap on transactions and try to avoid BTC as a mean of transaction as much as possible. I guess it was too hard to raise blocks to 2MB or 4MB for let's say 1-2 years, while the scaling problem is issued, right? These people gotta be stupid.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2018, 12:21:40 PM

I guess it was too hard to raise blocks to 2MB or 4MB for let's say 1-2 years, while the scaling problem is issued, right? These people gotta be stupid.

The segwit softfork (not segwit2x, or whatsoever) basically increased the blocksize to 4MB already.
But to make use of the 'more transactions per block' change, people would have to use segwit addresses, which make transactions notable smaller.
If everyone would use segwit, the blocks would be filled with up to ~4x the amount of tx's before segwit was introduced.

Thats more than enough short-/mid- term scaling until the LN takes place. But people actually have to use it.
Currently about 10% of all transactions are being sent from segwit addresses.

JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:05:43 PM

Well, I do use Segwit as you can see on my transaction, but you cannot force exchanges or noobs to do that, so increasing blocks to even 8MB for a year would have zero impact in the long run. I was against 2x and hate Roger Ver to the gut, but common sense should be the priority here, and people wanting to buy a few bucks of bitcoin, or a son sending some to his parents, or a friend, or stuff like that, which are the type of things that will get BTC widely adopted, are impossible when fees are 10-30$. I don't know what the hell are the devs thinking about.

By the way, this means the transaction got confirmed, right? 26 confirmations I think, but I'm not sure what the hell got confirmed lol

https://blockchain.info/tx/6860c1ba867067637948e6dc2c66b074c6d467035765fc30b1f185d0c61d5bd4
TopJimmy

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:11:09 PM

I have a transaction pending for 4 days now I sent bit coin to Yobit and it is pending. I have had no response from Yobit and no response from block chain it's pretty disturbing. Can somebody help me? Thanks.
KopikoBrown

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:23:14 PM

Your transaction is already confirmed mined by ViaBtc
Block   502825
First seen   Thursday, December 7th 2017, 7:17:04 +08:00
Relay time   
Saturday, January 6th 2018, 17:00:04 +08:00
Time until confirmed   after 1 hour 8 minutes
JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 03:21:37 PM

So someone actually accelerated my transaction viabtc?? At first I thought it might have to do with this post, and so far is the only explanation that makes sense. Fuck I can't believe it, I wanted it to be canceled! not confirmed haha  Grin Grin Grin
Not only I lost money cause I sold at about 1700$ and now it was 2200$, but let's hope I can recover my money. This BTC transaction thing is so fucked up, things like this should really make the devs realize it!
KopikoBrown

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 03:25:07 PM

So someone actually accelerated my transaction viabtc?? At first I thought it might have to do with this post, and so far is the only explanation that makes sense. Fuck I can't believe it, I wanted it to be canceled! not confirmed haha  Grin Grin Grin
Not only I lost money cause I sold at about 1700$ and now it was 2200$, but let's hope I can recover my money. This BTC transaction thing is so fucked up, things like this should really make the devs realize it!
Viabtc accepted your transaction and added to the queue Smiley .
JeffArryn (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 03:34:29 PM

Oh ok! I just I knew about this viabtc accelerator and it was really weird that after a whole month the tx got accepted shortly after writing my message, and also when there are a lot of higher fees than mine (it was only 2$ fee). Really weird  Huh Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: