Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:49:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the long term value of Bitcoin ?  (Read 1300 times)
virtualmaster (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:56:47 AM

What is the long term value of Bitcoin ? in 10 years
http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/02/calculating-the-long-term-value-of-a-bitcoin/

Store of Value. The world’s gold reserve is valued at $7.65 trillion.
Global Currency. World’s $3 trillion of currency value (inclusive Black Market).

How much percent could take Bitcoin from each ?
and is there a middle way ?

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:31:12 AM

Third Way:

Could it be possible that it could outvalue either or both? I believe it's almost certainly more valuable than all the money currently out there, and could also eclipse the value in all precious metals too. After all, absolute valuation of the gold supply in dollars is rapidly becoming pretty meaningless. The real value of the dollar (and the other main currencies) is also pretty contentious. Bitcoin's actual utility compared to Gold or the dollar is worlds apart, we know this already. And so, the only actual advantage that gold/dollar have is that of it's perception by the majority. We know that Bitcoin is a better a store of value, and better to transmit value with. It's just that they don't know it. Yet.

Vires in numeris
WackyWilly

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:00:09 AM

Bitcoin's actual utility compared to Gold or the dollar is worlds apart, we know this already. And so, the only actual advantage that gold/dollar have is that of it's perception by the majority. We know that Bitcoin is a better a store of value, and better to transmit value with.

Well, let's be honest amoung us, BTC-proponents (yes, I am a proponent):

1. The actual utility of bitcoin may in some cases be a bit better than that of gold, but it is certainly not when compared to the dollar. Or any other fiat currency. Bitcoin is far from that level of utility. If you don't see that, you need to have a better look.
2. Perception of the majority (and trust in any asset) is always the issue. Be it gold. Be it USD. Be it real estate. Be it Bitcoin - TOO !
3. Therefore, Bitcoin will only be able to serve as a "better store of value" and means (utility) if it is supported by the general public.

If people don't support or value an idea/phenomenon, both of us may WISH for Bitcoin to be better than anything else, but THEN it's simply not going to happen.
It even might turn out (if people would walk away from Bitcoin) that Bitcoin turns out to be a worse means to store value. I would not expect that to happen, but it CAN happen: you peoples' support. Yours, mine, everyone else's.

Fact of life, sorry if this should wake you up in a rude fashion  Smiley
puffpuffpass

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I'm nobody.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

Bitcoin's actual utility compared to Gold or the dollar is worlds apart, we know this already. And so, the only actual advantage that gold/dollar have is that of it's perception by the majority. We know that Bitcoin is a better a store of value, and better to transmit value with.

Well, let's be honest amoung us, BTC-proponents (yes, I am a proponent):

1. The actual utility of bitcoin may in some cases be a bit better than that of gold, but it is certainly not when compared to the dollar. Or any other fiat currency. Bitcoin is far from that level of utility. If you don't see that, you need to have a better look.
2. Perception of the majority (and trust in any asset) is always the issue. Be it gold. Be it USD. Be it real estate. Be it Bitcoin - TOO !
3. Therefore, Bitcoin will only be able to serve as a "better store of value" and means (utility) if it is supported by the general public.

If people don't support or value an idea/phenomenon, both of us may WISH for Bitcoin to be better than anything else, but THEN it's simply not going to happen.
It even might turn out (if people would walk away from Bitcoin) that Bitcoin turns out to be a worse means to store value. I would not expect that to happen, but it CAN happen: you peoples' support. Yours, mine, everyone else's.

Fact of life, sorry if this should wake you up in a rude fashion  Smiley

the funny thing about bitcoin is the price doesn't matter as much as the utility. of course, giving something value in itself is a stupid thing to do but humans love stupidity so that is here to stay and frankly the only thing holding Bitcoin down is the fear that tyrants will fuck it up and they will and there's nothing you can do about it because freedom always has been and always will be one huge lie.

I have a bitcoin address that anyone can send BTC too, so I'm going to post it
on my sig because I think someone is going to randomly give me their BTC:
1D37qouguK5rNh1mSZDocgVCvA2rxsAgLp Roll Eyes
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:22:04 AM

What is the long term value of Bitcoin ? in 10 years
http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/02/calculating-the-long-term-value-of-a-bitcoin/

Store of Value. The world’s gold reserve is valued at $7.65 trillion.
Global Currency. World’s $3 trillion of currency value (inclusive Black Market).

How much percent could take Bitcoin from each ?
and is there a middle way ?

According to the writer of this piece the actual chance of bitcoin succeeding has an effect on the future price.

Bitcoin will either succeed or not (by definition of the word success). It has an absolute effect on the whole of bitcoin, not a relative effect on the exchange price.
Moreover, the period over which this calculation is made is 10 years. Conveniently, the calculation does not take into account how much value a dollar will represent in 10 years time.

I think the writer of the piece has a hole in his skull through which gnomes sucked out most of his brain...
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:57:45 AM

You're confusing utility with acceptance.

Vires in numeris
lucas.sev

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:13:53 PM

It's funny how all these threads are fantasies about getting RID of bitcoin and converting to lots of fiat.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:24:14 AM

No one can know the price. But I say fundamentally Bitcoin is infinitely more valuable than any fiat system to date.

If bitcoin gets replaced by another better system then thats cool too. But BTC > fiat always.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 04:07:24 AM

It's funny how all these threads are fantasies about getting RID of bitcoin and converting to lots of fiat.

It's funny how I don't see that sentiment from any of the posts in this thread.  All I see are estimates of the equivalent fiat value.  Just because we use fiat as a yardstick doesn't mean we're going to dump bitcoin.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: