Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:10:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you still use Bitcoin if it stabilised at around USD$5000?  (Read 1398 times)
SomeGuyInOz (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:25:30 AM

I've been thinking about why people use Bitcoin a bit lately and its long-term potential.  It used to be touted as an alternative to fiat currency, and in fact, the future of currency.  Now it seems that people are talking about Bitcoin more as a store of value - a place to keep your money safe that is not a bank or an institution.  I know a lot of us invest in Bitcoin more for the perceived increase in value; basically, a lot of us want to get rich.

Here's my question:  Would you still continue to move your fiat currency to Bitcoin if it topped out at around USD$5000 and you KNEW it would not go higher, but you also KNEW it would not dip in value?  Maybe we could assume it would rise with inflation.  If this were the case would you be more or less likely to move your money to Bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 12:35:30 AM

Interesting question, because if bitcoin would become more popular (which I hope), it automatically implies that the price should go up.
This question of yours means that there will not be a growing interest in bitcoin.

If I know now that in the future there will be not more interest, why would I spend more time and/or money in it? I love crypto's because I think they are the future. If there is no future for bitcoin, what is the point?
shimbark123

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:38:11 AM

Many people will buy bitcoin even at high price because they know for themselves that bitcoin will go up high after many years. Who would know if it hits 1000000 usd. As I was saying, many people will aboard the train to the moon because btc might go high.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Mikasa77

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:43:02 AM

I've been thinking about why people use Bitcoin a bit lately and its long-term potential.  It used to be touted as an alternative to fiat currency, and in fact, the future of currency.  Now it seems that people are talking about Bitcoin more as a store of value - a place to keep your money safe that is not a bank or an institution.  I know a lot of us invest in Bitcoin more for the perceived increase in value; basically, a lot of us want to get rich.

Here's my question:  Would you still continue to move your fiat currency to Bitcoin if it topped out at around USD$5000 and you KNEW it would not go higher, but you also KNEW it would not dip in value?  Maybe we could assume it would rise with inflation.  If this were the case would you be more or less likely to move your money to Bitcoin?
Why would i convert my fiat money to bitcoin if i know that its price is stable and will not even go higher? Maybe some people will still be using bitcoin because they want its features and capabilities like paying or sending/receiving money in a fast and secured way. But for me, i will not buy a large of amount of bitcoin if i know that i will not gain any profit in the future.

♦ UNIQUE GAMES ♦     Tower.bet     ♦   DAILY RACES   ♦
██   ██   ██   ██████████████████████████████████████████████   ██   ██   ██
$41,000+ Level Bonuses   ★   300 DOGE Signup Bonus
Ch1bi

Activity: 289
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:44:41 AM

That's a good question. I probably would continue to use Bitcoin because of what it stands for. I probably wouldn't buy anymore of it because there would be other coins in time that could surpass it in value and provide a great store of value.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
bubblebit

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:53:27 AM

Yes, I will used it if I needed something important to those I’ve earned. It is not the past now that bitcoin makes you a millionaire for past 3 years. It doesn’t even cheaper now, so why bother to HODL all when in real life you badly needed them most.

I doubt also that bitcoin will stable in the near future, it is not controlled by anyone but only by demand and supply that can change in a matter of seconds. And if it stagnant to 5000$ does anyone want to go bitcoin, I don’t think they will. The unstable price of bitcoin is one reason we’re earning anyways.
Hamstead

Activity: 805
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:58:32 AM

I'll still moving on because $5k is big enough when converted into our local currency. And still a big profit even though it stop in that certain amount. But I don't believe that it could stick for long in that amount and it could probably change anytime.
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:00:20 AM

You conclusion is flawed. Bitcoin is volatile and it will not stay at a certain price, in your scenario, $5000. Second, If you knew that it would stable, then why you are going to moved your fiat to Bitcoin? It doesn't make sense to me.

As for the store of value argument, yes I would agree that it was not in the original proposal of Satoshi. He put bitcoin as a  system for electronic transactions without relying on 3rd party trust. Its a "A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System". But I think you can still used bitcoin as micro-payment scheme. The only reason that is not being used as what Satoshi want is that it hasn't been been accepted yet in the online market. That's why it became as somewhat as investment platform or store of value for most of us.
Nanda Dewi277

Activity: 784
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:05:07 AM

I currently exchange bitcoins with fiat currency because I want to move my stock to the world of plantation industry, which has a clear future for the long term.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▄▄
              ▄▀          ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    ▀▄
            █        ▄▀▀                  ▀▀▄   ▀▄
          █      ▄▀                ▄▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▄   ▀▄          ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
  █     █     █                ▄▀            ▀    ▀        ▄▄▀▀   █████  ▀▀▄
█  █▄█     █   ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▌                          ▄▀     ███████         █
█       ▀▀▄▄▀▀  ▄▄   █  █                      ▄▀    ████████           █
  █   ▀██▄▄   ███   █    █                 █▀  ██████████        █  █
    ▀▄   ███████     ▀▀▄ ▀▄▄    ▄▄▀▀    ████   ████      █  █  █
        ▀▄▄     ██████    ▀▀█▄▀▀     ████████████  █  █  █  █
              ▀█   ██████▄▄          █████████████    █  █  █  █
                 █   █████████████████████████  ▄▀  █  █ █
                  █    ███████████████████████  ▄▀▄▀▄▀ █
                   █     ████████████████████   ▄▀▄▀ ▄▀ █
                     █          █████████████    ▄▄▀▄▀ ▄▀  █
                       ▀▄     ▄▄▄▄▄  █████ ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀ ▄▀    █
                           ▀▄     ▄▄▄▄  ███   ▄▄▀▀   ▄▀       █
                               ▀▄        ███          ▄▄▀▄   █   █
                                   ▀▄ ███     ▄▄▀▀       ▀▄  ▄█
                                 ▄▀      ▄▄▀▀                  ▀▀
                                  ▀▀▀▀▀
  W h a l e  M a k e r

||
▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬
A Fundraising Platform for
Massive Disruption
||
         ▄▄              ▄▄
        ███           ███
   ▄███████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
██                     ▄▄▄      ██
██           ▄▄    ████      ██
██        ████  ████       ██
██      ██     ██    ▀        ██
██    ██        ▀               ██
██▄                             ▄██
▀██████████████████▀
   ▀███████████████▀
Governance &
Rewards
                  ▄███▄
                    ███
  ▄███▄          █           ▄███▄
    ███     ▄███████▄    ███
         █▄█████░████▄█
   ▄     █████░░░█████       ▄
  ██  █████░███▄█████   ███
██████████░░░███████████
  ██   █████████░█████  ███
   ▀     █████░░░█████       ▀
          █▀████░████▀█
      ███    ▀██████▀   ███
    ▀███▀        █          ▀██▀
                    ███
                  ▀███▀
Smart-Funding
Aggregator &
Staking
||▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TWITTER   MEDIUM   TELEGRAM
▬▬▬▬▬ OCEAN PAPER ▬▬▬▬▬
Flor1982

Activity: 714
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:07:31 AM

I've been thinking about why people use Bitcoin a bit lately and its long-term potential.  It used to be touted as an alternative to fiat currency, and in fact, the future of currency.  Now it seems that people are talking about Bitcoin more as a store of value - a place to keep your money safe that is not a bank or an institution.  I know a lot of us invest in Bitcoin more for the perceived increase in value; basically, a lot of us want to get rich.

Here's my question:  Would you still continue to move your fiat currency to Bitcoin if it topped out at around USD$5000 and you KNEW it would not go higher, but you also KNEW it would not dip in value?  Maybe we could assume it would rise with inflation.  If this were the case would you be more or less likely to move your money to Bitcoin?

Yes! To those who can afford especially the rich in capital still they will buy bitcoin even it is expensive to purchase because the next speculation value for the next year was between %5000 to $10000 mark so it still a big gain for all investors but for the poor in which very low in capital still we can invest to altcoin which is affordable and trade it to bitcoin so that we can still be on board for the next year speculation without spending to much fiat.
Zalfa_mui

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:16:22 AM

even though the bitcoin price reaches 5000 $, I will continue to invest in bitcoin. because I'm sure the bitcoin price will not go back to the beginning .. I will wait at 10,000 $. don't know how long that will happen.

qwertyup23

Activity: 2226
Merit: 786

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:20:24 AM

I currently exchange bitcoins with fiat currency because I want to move my stock to the world of plantation industry, which has a clear future for the long term.

The scenario given was very hypothetical, but is impossible due to bitcoin's volatile and decentralized nature. But if that were the case, then I see no reason for me to buy bitcoins anymore because bank investments would be more superior and safer option if bitcoin's price were to be stable. One of the reasons on why people invest into bitcoin is because they want to take advantage of its volatility, which in return, can yield them profit in long term investments. Like the example given, he sees bitcoin as an alternative payment for his future plans by investing in it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
TwoSides

Activity: 125
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:21:05 AM

That's a good question. I probably would continue to use Bitcoin because of what it stands for. I probably wouldn't buy anymore of it because there would be other coins in time that could surpass it in value and provide a great store of value.

This. I'd still use bitcoin too but would not invest on it anymore since the value is fixed.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:24:39 AM

I am a bitcoin supporter for life regardless of its market value, most people think today that bitcoin is a form of an asset or a stored value hoping that it would inflate in the year future as profit, with that mindset you are defeating the purpose of bitcoin. It is a digital currency that everybody hardly understand, it is a from of electronic payment for online transaction in peer-to-peer basis. Bitcoin was created to be isolated from any inflation of World's economy, just like the 2008 U.S. economic crisis.In reality bitcoin can't establized at 5000 USD in a long period of time, the hashrate difficulty to mine bitcoin as it is a power-intensive task is the most justifiable means to declare the real value of bitcoin.
smartbitcoininvestor

Activity: 652
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:29:03 AM

Theoretically, by definition of an investment, the situation of Bitcoin price stabilizing at $5,000 for an undefined amount of time is impossible. Since there are limited quantities, and it is a tool that can be used as a transfer of value between two or more individuals, the value of it will inevitably fluctuate. Can we predict that buy and sell orders will be constant through all periods, including those of turmoil and excitement? No.

You have to look at the fundamentals of Bitcoin to truly make theoretical assumptions about where the price can go. There is a limited quantity of BTC that will ever be mined and user adoption is still in its early stages. The price is already quite "expensive" for the average onlooker.

Another big benefit that I don't think was mentioned here is the occurrence of hard forks, which are essentially dividends for Bitcoin holders. So even if the price stays around $5000 you will still make a good return on your investment. This is a little-known fact most people forget about.

From the standpoint of who owns Bitcoin, it is the miners and the large financial whales (like the Winklevoss twins), these are the people who are either creating supply or driving demand through the media  Wink

So, essentially over the long run most people are going to be buying up Bitcoins and saving them as investments - thus driving up the value in the process. And those in possession of it get to benefit from hard fork dividends that can be reinvested into BTC.
ahmedjamal1998

Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 01:30:19 AM

If somehow ,theoretically in an opposite dimension of the universe,the price of bitcoin stabilizes, it'll lose a lot of attention.
Many bitcoiners are into it because they like the concept of decentralization and that their money is safe in case banks run out of money or a national financial crisis happens like what happened in Greece.

But the number of people who are just into investing and making money out of it is much more. I'd basically be the first one to buy other altcoins which had chance to go up more (you never said all crypto will be stable ? )

But if we just imagine that all crypto prices are frozen forever then I'd just cash out. Whatever amount of money I make in btc would be traded for USD.

So many people would even leave the whole scene since they just get profits from trading.

Basically bitcoin's price goes up and down and we love it the way it is.
entrepmind23

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:33:07 AM

I think I would continue to earn bitcoin but moving fiat money to bitcoin would be useless because it would still have value the same with fiat since it doesn't rise. Many people are putting their money in bitcoin hoping that its value will increase in the future but it would just be useless if it would stay the same. Maybe I would still use bitcoin because during that time because maybe the big companies will finally adopt bitcoin as payment option since it is stabilized and the reason they are not adopting it for now is because if its volatility which is both an advantage and disadvantage of it.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
rjbtc2017

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:43:16 AM

Too early to say no but the possibility is really high but on the other hand, i think if the price will really be stable at that time i think there will be more merchants that will offer different goods and services which make a user buy bitcoins for that reason, therefore it is now safe to say that i will be more likely to use it depending on the future of merchants that accepts bitcoins and offers different goods and services which make a user buy and spend his own bitcoins.
Sithara007
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1344

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:49:23 AM

If Bitcoin stabilizes at any exchange rate, then it will give the users more incentive to use it as a currency rather than stashing up their coins in cold storage. Right now very few of us are using coins for shopping, as the exchange rates are constantly moving up. If the prices stabilize, then we will be treating Bitcoin just like any other form of currency.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

Feel free to drop your doubts bellow
Report to moderator 
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦       ▬▬▬ ▬          Stake.com     /     Play Smarter          ▬ ▬▬▬       ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
L E A D I N G   C R Y P T O  C A S I N O   &   S P O R T S   B E T T I N G

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Strongkored
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1061

View Profile Personal Message (Online)
Trust: +0 / =0 / -0
Ignore

Re: [OPEN]Stake.com NEW SIGNATURE CAMPAIGN l NEW PAYRATES l HERO & LEG ONLY
May 31, 2022, 08:28:59 AM
Reply with quote  +Merit  #2
Bitcointalk Username: strongkored
Profile Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=640554
Forum Rank: Legendary
Are you able to wear our Signature, Avatar & Personal Text? will wear upon receipt
Stake
aryaadikariyansyahsuwarto

Merit: 101

This Is Promissing Project

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 01:53:35 AM

your question is okay, actually depends on each one, if you want to buy bitcoin when the price is that much, it does not matter. But maybe to sell it back you should be more patient waiting, because maybe to wait bitcoin up or exceeding USD $ 5000 will be longer and longer process.

●●●   AmaStar   ●●●  EARN FOR PORN  ●●●
Pre-ICO PERIOD : 15 Nov. - 31 Dec.., 2018

ANN      Bounty    Whitepaper      Telegram      Twitter      Linked In      Facebook      
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: