Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:17:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What can your coin do that LTC/BTC can't?  (Read 2564 times)
bitcoiners (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:18:19 AM

I'm waiting to hear the answer to this.  There isn't anything that any of these new alt coins offer that LTC/BTC can't copy if they work.  Please tell me how any of these alt coins are anything but an experiment for new ideas for LTC/BTC to take from if they work?  Anyone?

I have a new word for everyone here.

You aren't altcoiners you are "Lab rats"

Thanks for trying out new things for us.

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 05:21:45 AM

The new ones you might be right.

But some old ones add something to bitcoin, by using the same hashing power via merged mining, adding features such as a database (namecoin), a support structure for supporting free open source stuff (devcoin), and very very fast confirmations (GeistGeld), all without diverting hashing power away from bitcoin.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
bitcoiners (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:30:52 AM

But some old ones add something to bitcoin, by using the same hashing power via merged mining, adding features such as a database (namecoin), a support structure for supporting free open source stuff (devcoin), and very very fast confirmations (GeistGeld), all without diverting hashing power away from bitcoin.

-MarkM-

There are exceptions to every rule, true.  NMC, DVC, PPC are some of them.  Still don't see a future for geistgeld but then that's my own opinion.   

Still waiting to hear what these new altcoins bring to the table other than tweaks of ltc/btc.  Anyone?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 05:38:35 AM

-MarkM-

There are exceptions to every rule, true.  NMC, DVC, PPC are some of them.  Still don't see a future for geistgeld but then that's my own opinion.  

Still waiting to hear what these new altcoins bring to the table other than tweaks of ltc/btc.  Anyone?

Many of them claim fast confirmations is their big innovation, that is the main reason I mentioned GeistGeld.

Basically we already have as fast as you can realistically get, damn near too fast, heck have we even really thoroughly tested it enough to be sure it isn't too fast, and we do it without diverting hashing power from bitcoin. So all the pretense that being fast is so useful are pretty much revealed as just pathetic/transparent pretences, their real motive being to pump and dump, since if they were seriously interested in exploring whether fast blocks can work we already have been trying to have that load-tested for years now and they don't seem to have even bothered with the experiment, preferring to just do another pump and dump...

In essence, "bitcoin CAN do very fast confirmations, simply by merging GeistGeld alongside..."

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
nonameo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:48:45 AM

you make it sound derogatory, but there's nothing wrong with testing out changes in behavior. There's only something "wrong" with it if you dumped a money in it hoping your coin would go from $0.01 per coin to $100 per coin.

I'd be thrilled if bitcoin at least had a solution to the problem elacoin tries to solve, even if it's not the same solution(part of the problem is that many disagree it's a problem, which is easy to do when you have bitcoins and they're going up against the dollar)

bitcoiners (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:03:31 AM

-MarkM-

There are exceptions to every rule, true.  NMC, DVC, PPC are some of them.  Still don't see a future for geistgeld but then that's my own opinion.  

Still waiting to hear what these new altcoins bring to the table other than tweaks of ltc/btc.  Anyone?

Many of them claim fast confirmations is their big innovation, that is the main reason I mentioned GeistGeld.

Basically we already have as fast as you can realistically get, damn near too fast, heck have we even really thoroughly tested it enough to be sure it isn't too fast, and we do it without diverting hashing power from bitcoin. So all the pretense that being fast is so useful are pretty much revealed as just pathetic/transparent pretences, their real motive being to pump and dump, since if they were seriously interested in exploring whether fast blocks can work we already have been trying to have that load-tested for years now and they don't seem to have even bothered with the experiment, preferring to just do another pump and dump...

In essence, "bitcoin CAN do very fast confirmations, simply by merging GeistGeld alongside..."

-MarkM-

Ok, I see where you are coming from with geistgeld then.  I was wondering.  I saw it as just an experiment for bitcoin myself.  But I get it now, we see it the same way then.

The only thing that bothers me Mark about these pump and dumps is they seem to suck reality out of people's brains is the only reason I made this thread.  They so blindly follow and so blindly throw their money at these copies of copies it makes me cringe when I go to sleep at night.  There are real people that buy into this bullshit.

BTW, thanks for actually having a discussion instead of another strawman/derogatory thread. 

Cheers mate!

Also, I'm waiting to hear what your coin can do that BTC/LTC can't.  Still waiting...
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 06:10:58 AM

Ok, I see where you are coming from with geistgeld then.  I was wondering.  I saw it as just an experiment for bitcoin myself.  But I get it now, we see it the same way then.

The only thing that bothers me Mark about these pump and dumps is they seem to suck reality out of people's brains is the only reason I made this thread.  They so blindly follow and so blindly throw their money at these copies of copies it makes me cringe when I go to sleep at night.  There are real people that buy into this bullshit.

Well that is another nice thing about GeistGeld and the other low-difficulty merged-mined coins, and even Tenebrix and Fairbrix: they are really easy to mine, so far they have gone vast spans of time during which all the little people can mine them so very easily, much of the time even with CPUs.

So maybe all the pump and dump coins are doing the genuine smallfry a big favour by keeping all the big mining farm people distracted allowing still more time for the small miners to quietly stockpile low-difficulty coins.

Maybe once the Mergecoin repo is ready and all the merged coins upgrade to the fancy new bitcoin code with its new database and fast getting of blockchain and so on the small miner's long long opportunity to quetly stockpile those coins will finally end as big miners grab the new code and try to rape all the coins... that the small miners all have lots of by now, having had so many many months unmolested by the big guys...

-MarkM-

moreporknz

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Ok, Who's hungry?

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:18:26 AM

BTC and LTC are just beta coins until better coins along....   Loving WDC and DGC for their instant transaction times Smiley   I honestly hate transferring Bitcoins now after using wdc all the time..

3 - 2 - 1 @ 220, the only way to go!
bitcoiners (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:27:30 AM

Well that is another nice thing about GeistGeld and the other low-difficulty merged-mined coins, and even Tenebrix and Fairbrix: they are really easy to mine, so far they have gone vast spans of time during which all the little people can mine them so very easily, much of the time even with CPUs.

So maybe all the pump and dump coins are doing the genuine smallfry a big favour by keeping all the big mining farm people distracted allowing still more time for the small miners to quietly stockpile low-difficulty coins.

Maybe once the Mergecoin repo is ready and all the merged coins upgrade to the fancy new bitcoin code with its new database and fast getting of blockchain and so on the small miner's long long opportunity to quetly stockpile those coins will finally end as big miners grab the new code and try to rape all the coins... that the small miners all have lots of by now, having had so many many months unmolested by the big guys...

-MarkM-

I love the way you think.

moreporknz

You are missing the point. BTC/LTC can adopt what WDC and DGC offer.  They are just tweaks of LTC.  Sorry again.
bitcoiners (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:55:56 AM

Waiting...
mat5x

Activity: 181

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:07:15 AM

[snark] keep a block chain from forking? [/snark]

untrue, many coins ive played with fork nicely. (and we just forked elc by hand! whee!)

TRC had some fun times today

as for LTC/BTC can cant whatever, in case no one noticed, ALL coins are affected by ASIC mining.

every coin is fungible with every other. minimal 1-2% friction there.

so no matter how great your coin is and what it 'does' speculators from other coins will spill over. its all ONE GIANT COIN now. and people thought they could invent ASIC-resistant coins. lul'd.

oh, and I love WDC for the instant orphan times too, as per previous poster. Well said. (consider dumping a big rig onto the coin at a very nicely calculated time to null out a transaction. double spend?)

Elacoin/ELC - block reward proportional-to-difficulty coin! http://elacoin.com
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:27:13 AM

pump&dump

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
sadface

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:08:16 AM

what they have is different ppl behind them
moody123

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:18:53 AM

Ugh again I have to ask this - What can LTC/BTC do that another coin can't? It goes both ways.  I know one thing though, a new coin can make YOU filthy stinking rich, whereas btc has already made others rich.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:43:40 AM

Ugh again I have to ask this - What can LTC/BTC do that another coin can't? It goes both ways.  I know one thing though, a new coin can make YOU filthy stinking rich, whereas btc has already made others rich.
1 point for you

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
moreporknz

Ok, Who's hungry?

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:32:45 AM

moreporknz

You are missing the point. BTC/LTC can adopt what WDC and DGC offer.  They are just tweaks of LTC.  Sorry again.
[/quote]

Lol, don't think it works like that mate....  In your own words LTC is just a tweak of BTC...

There is no reason other altcoins can live side by side, if not overtake bitcoin in the future.  I believe bitcoin is the start of cryptocurrencies, but not the end.

bitcoiners (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:35:21 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2013, 09:47:49 AM by bitcoiners

moreporknz

You are missing the point. BTC/LTC can adopt what WDC and DGC offer.  They are just tweaks of LTC.  Sorry again.

Lol, don't think it works like that mate....  In your own words LTC is just a tweak of BTC...
[/quote]

Actually no. LTC uses scrypt.  BTC uses sha.

Sorry not a tweak.  Completely different.

Everything else is just a copy off of those.

People are fucking stupid.  I'm done here.  Good luck idiots throwing your time and money away.
nawazish1

Activity: 462

PXC Research Team

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:52:11 AM

Hello guys

I want to know why are you guys fighting on this topic for over a month that other alt coins are copy and they don't deserve to exist or they are just for experiments.

If things really worked like this in the real world then there are many countries which have dollar as there national currency and their exchange rates are also different Should we call those currencies an alternate of USD. Just like if we can't call those dollars alternate so why in the crypto world. Each crypto has its own community and its own world. So leave it like that.

Just consider Bitcoin as USD , LTC as what ever country you would like and other alts as well.

PXC: PmfFgdwwcXPa1QUmtVJevdPfHhmhztHHCv
BTC: 1P22tVABsd85L7kkpTmohCv5vK2BypFz3H
Phoenixcoin (PXC), a decentralised open source digital currency.
moreporknz

Ok, Who's hungry?

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:02:36 AM

moreporknz

Actually no. LTC uses scrypt.  BTC uses sha.

Sorry not a tweak.  Completely different.

Everything else is just a copy off of those.

People are fucking stupid.  I'm done here.  Good luck idiots throwing your time and money away.
[/quote]

yes and scrypt is the tweak lol it is still based off bitcoin with slight alterations........   you sound like a butthurt little girl who got left holding a bag of worthless coins? Am I right lol?

moody123

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:23:00 AM

comes in, flames others, completely ignores my post which shoots down ANY of his points. Winning. From some of his recent posts I am starting to believe he is heavily invested in btc/ltc and just trying to protect those investments by causing distrust in altcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: