Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:22:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RX 480 Setup for highest Hashrate  (Read 1560 times)
Lumining (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 12:49:40 PM

Hello mining community,
I have a mining rig with 6 RX480s and I want to get the highest hashrate I can get.
My cards are:
2 XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
4 Powercolor RX480 Red Devil 8GB
I have Bios modded the cards and the rig got a hashrate of 165 Mh/s on Ethereum. MSI Afterburner doesn't want to start since the cards are Bios modded (no clue what I did wrong to cause that issue). My Drivers version is currently 16.9.2.

Now my question is:
Should I reinstall the original Bios and install the new mining driver beta from AMD and overclock the cards
or
Should I keep the modded Bios and try if the mining driver work?

I switched from ETH to ETC yesterday and my hashrate dropped from 165 Mh/s to 135 Mh/s and I hope to get back to my usual hashrate or even more with overclocking and new drivers but I'm not shure how the Bios mod reacts to this.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:13:09 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2017, 01:25:47 PM by Vann

To mine ETH or ETC you need to use the AMD blockchain drivers. Those are the only drivers that fix the epoch Dag hash rate drop. You also need to use Afterburner 4.4.0 beta 16 or higher with the blockchain drivers or the AMD Relive drivers 17.7.2 or higher, since AMD changed the API starting with that driver. You may also need to use the pixel patcher to bypass the driver signature check with a modded Bios. Otherwise the cards will show a code 43 in the Windows Device Manager and they won't work.

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
warrior333

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:24:10 PM

I don't use the original driver AMD. Before the upgrade I also ran the patcher to resolve the error 43. The new driver has no conflicts. The BIOS I installed updated. Each GPU RX 480 8 GB Sapphire provide a stable rate 29.850 Mh/s + 840 Mh/s DCR. 6 GPU 165 Mh/s in dual mining it is normal.
Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:38:39 PM

Okay thank you very much for your answers.
I'll install the AMD Mining drivers and run PixelPatcher and hope it works fine with my modded bios.
I'ne not heard about the AMD Relive drivers 17.7.2 before in terms of mining, I guess the Blockchain drivers are far better anyway?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
percy_tc

Activity: 583
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:48:03 PM

yes, BC drivers are the fastest atm
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 05:15:37 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2017, 05:37:36 PM by xxcsu

- Uninstall all drivers with DDU
- Download and Install AMD Block Chain Driver from official AMD site
- Run AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
- Reboot Your Rig
- Download , install MSI Afterburner 4.4.0 Beta 18
Overclock your mem's / underclock your GPU's , with proper undervolting , and enjoy mining with full speed Wink

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 05:24:35 PM

- Reboot Your Rig
Overclock your mem's / underclock your GPU's , with proper undervolting , and enjoy mining with full speed Wink

Is this your guide working on any Windows build?
I mean Is it working only on Windows 10, or can I use it on Window 7 too?
cheers.

This is my signature...
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 05:43:36 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2017, 07:25:19 PM by xxcsu

- Reboot Your Rig

Is this your guide working on any Windows build?
I mean Is it working only on Windows 10, or can I use it on Window 7 too?
cheers.

To be honest with you , i don't have much experience mining with win 7 rigs , i give up win 7 last year when i tried to get 6-7-8 vga cards working on win 7 , and i was not able to build a stable running rig at all. Then i switched to win 10 and linux ...
So i know for sure its working on windows 10 , im not sure about any of the other windows version.
Someone with more win 7 experience might join to this topic and can tell you more about this.

From official AMD driver dowload page :
Compatible Operating Systems
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition Beta for Blockchain Compute is designed to support the following Microsoft® Windows® platforms. Operating System support may vary depending on your specific AMD Radeon product.
Windows® 10 (64-bit version)
Windows 7 (64-bit version with SP1 or higher)

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 12:44:52 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2017, 01:00:53 PM by Lumining

- Reboot Your Rig

I installed the mining drivers and I've run Pixelpatcher. All 6 GPU's show up fine in device manager.

Afterwards I installed Afterburner 4.4.0 beta and RivaTuner.
I run Afterburner but the program froze immediately, no way to end it. I restarted the rig to close the program and tried to run Claymore Miner v10.
It gave me an error message that something's wrong with my screen settings.(I had plugged my monitor in the motherboard HDMI to update the drivers) so I put my HDMI dummy plug in the GPU that's connected to the x16 slot on my mobo.
Then, Teamviewer didn't start anymore and I found out, that my screen and my hdmi dummy plug don't work anymore when plugged in the GPU and when plugged in the mobo, only the screen works, not the hdmi dummy plug.
Any fix for that?

This is the error message and the file that causes the problem. Should I delete the old files and only keep the 2 newer ones?

Bakhtra

Activity: 215

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:17:26 PM

Is your OS Windows 7? After everything I have try, until now I cant get Blockchain Driver works on Windows 7, thats why I change to Windows 10, and it works perfectly.
Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:31:15 PM

Is your OS Windows 7? After everything I have try, until now I cant get Blockchain Driver works on Windows 7, thats why I change to Windows 10, and it works perfectly.
Yes I'm on Windows 10. Currently I have some serious problems to get my rig started, it takes ages to start. If I can't fix that, I'll reinstall Windows 10 and start from the beginning I guess.

Basmic

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:46:17 PM

I am advocating to use for the extraction of old equipment for 4 GPU. This gives substantial savings when buying a motherboard CPU and power supply. Two sets for 4 GPU will cost less than one set for 6 GPU. You can use any OS. Also you share the risks from the fact that your equipment will fail. In case of any problems with the equipment you will be half of the GPU or all 6 GPU will not work. Which option is better?
Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:24:38 PM

I am advocating to use for the extraction of old equipment for 4 GPU. This gives substantial savings when buying a motherboard CPU and power supply. Two sets for 4 GPU will cost less than one set for 6 GPU. You can use any OS. Also you share the risks from the fact that your equipment will fail. In case of any problems with the equipment you will be half of the GPU or all 6 GPU will not work. Which option is better?
The rig has been working fine for over 6 months, I'm not going to spend more money when I already know that it can work fine.

Bakhtra

Activity: 215

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:29:39 PM

Yes I'm on Windows 10. Currently I have some serious problems to get my rig started, it takes ages to start. If I can't fix that, I'll reinstall Windows 10 and start from the beginning I guess.
Harddisk problem maybe? If corrupt windows, fresh install will fix it.
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 05:51:44 PM

This is the error message and the file that causes the problem. Should I delete the old files and only keep the 2 newer ones?

Are you sure you let driver installation gone through ? if all cards plugged in during driver install , Its sometimes take 10-15-20 minutes with black screen , flickering screen , sometimes computer unresponsive for 2-3 minutes ... during that time you can not log in with teamviewer , if monitor connected you get a black unresponsive screen ...
Did you had to hard reboot the computer ? during/after amd driver installation ?
Did you turned off the on board graphics in the bios ? ( make sure you can not see in windows device manager )
Do you need riva tuner ? Why you installed ?

Try one more times ... this time dont install any tune software , dont install Afterburner  , wait at least 20-30 min after you started the driver installation ...

- Download and Install AMD Block Chain Driver from official AMD site - wait at least 20-30 min after you started the driver installation if all 6 cards pluggen in during install
- Reboot Your Rig
- Start your mining software , let see what happening

Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:12:16 PM

I reinstalled windows and wiped everything that was installed.
THen I downloaded the Blockchain drivers, teamviewer and ati patcher.
I did this with the mining drivers on my GPU's and the screen was lagging, I checked in device manager and only 5 cards showed up. To find if the error is in the hardware or software, I installed the latest AMD driver for my GPU and the PC recognized 6 cards. Afterwards I reinstalled the blockchain drivers (with AMD uninstaller, not DDU) and the PC regognized only 5 cards anymore and 1 Intel HD Graphics. Do I need to turn these Intel HD graphics off in the mobo bios settings?

Farstdury

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:18:47 PM

How many GPU does Windows 10 support?
Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 10:20:45 PM

How many GPU does Windows 10 support?
Up to 8 as far as I know.

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 03:11:13 AM

Can you give us a full system spec please ?
what motherboard you have ? Bios settings for pcie ? GEN 1 / GEN 2 /GEN 3 Huh what is your psu wattage rating ?
with the new drivers your cards might pulling much more power than before...

Are you sure you let driver installation gone through ? if all cards plugged in during driver install , Its sometimes take 10-15-20 minutes with black screen , flickering screen , sometimes computer unresponsive for 2-3 minutes ... during that time you can not log in with teamviewer , if monitor connected you get a black unresponsive screen ...
Did you had to hard reboot the computer ? during/after amd driver installation ?
Did you turned off the on board graphics in the bios ? ( make sure you can not see in windows device manager )
Do you need riva tuner ? Why you installed ?

Try one more times ... this time dont install any tune software , dont install Afterburner  , wait at least 20-30 min after you started the driver installation ...

- Download and Install AMD Block Chain Driver from official AMD site - wait at least 20-30 min after you started the driver installation if all 6 cards pluggen in during install
- Reboot Your Rig
- Start your mining software , let see what happening

Lumining (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 03:14:39 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2017, 05:05:59 PM by Lumining

Hardware:
The 6 GPUs are:
2 XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
4 Powercolor RX480 Red Devil 8GB
Motherboard: AsRock H81 BTC Pro Gen1
GPU G3460
120GB SSD Sandisk
8GB DDR3

Software
Bios settings for PCIE2 Link Speed is GEN 1.
Because I made a fresh installation of windows 10 x64 and the cards are not working fine I did not run Claymore yet with the new mining drivers, therfore I can't tell you the wattage yet.
Currently, the PC recognizes 5 RX480 with driver version 22.19.662.4 and all 5 with error 43. It also regognizes 1 Intel(R) HD Graphics.

I made some settings:
Increase virtual memory (Min 1879 Max 16000)
Power plan --> High performance
Windows 10 registry tweaks for mining
Disabled windows update

Then I ran DDU in safe mode and it still only recognized 5 devices. Now I switched PCIE5 and PCIE6 and magically the PC sees 6 cards.
Now I have 6 Microsoft Basic Display Adapters in device manager and all of them show error 31:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.

How should I proceed from this point?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: