Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 9729 times)
chydenius (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:30:23 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2014, 11:41:08 PM by chydenius

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 11:32:55 AM

This is a lot more reasonable than one has usually come to expect. Watching with interest
zerodrama

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 12:09:24 PM

Bitcoin Foundation - mono-archist hacks.

There's other ideas in play.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
Post Scarcity Economics thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773185
zerodrama

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 12:44:56 PM

This is a lot more reasonable than one has usually come to expect. Watching with interest

As am I.  Back in the Moneypunk 1.0 days of the 1990s, we imagined that we were going to take down the nation-state, the Illuminati, the Warburg/Rothschild cabal, the Fed, and all the rest with our charming little server-based 'electronic currencies' that were no more database-driven websites that were one subpoena or capricious administrative decision away from being shut down.

Today, even though Bitcoin is distributed and has no single point of failure, the Moneypunk 2.0 community members are much more pragmatic and mature in their approach.  It appears that OECD regulators recognize this and are willing to give those of us who are more interested in making money by the boatload than in taunting Sauron the benefit of the doubt, even if begrudgingly.

Those who are offended by this process can migrate to Perfect Money, any of the alternative *coins, or fork the code and start their own True Scotsman system.  The cat is out of the bag and the horse has left the barn.  The code is in the wild, Satoshi's paper explains what the code does, and one can find countless recommendations for improving the protocol by googling the Bing.

The Same People arguing for the One True Scotsman are The Same People compromising everything they promised.

This is just the back of Wall Street's hand grabbing everything they put absolutely no effort into by de facto orders.

Not on my watch.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
Post Scarcity Economics thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773185
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 12:52:18 PM

This comes by way of someone close to Bitcoin discussions in Washington, DC.  Apparently, FinCEN agents are looking for members of the Bitcoin community to form a self-regulatory organization with voluntary approval procedures to work with financial regulators.

If anyone at the Bitcoin Foundation sees this post, I would be willing to serve with such an organization.  

Fuck Washington, DC.
Fuck FinCEN.
Fuck Bitcoin Foundation.
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 01:46:53 PM

This comes by way of someone close to Bitcoin discussions in Washington, DC.  Apparently, FinCEN agents are looking for members of the Bitcoin community to form a self-regulatory organization with voluntary approval procedures to work with financial regulators.

If anyone at the Bitcoin Foundation sees this post, I would be willing to serve with such an organization.  

Fuck Washington, DC.
Fuck FinCEN.
Fuck Bitcoin Foundation.

So long as one is not subject to US jurisdiction, this sentiment is a matter of personal taste.  However, if one transacts with Americans and especially if one resides within the USA, this sentiment can lead to unfortunate consequences, unless one has closed all of one's bank and credit card accounts.

Obviously, Bitcoin per se is beyond direct regulation, and all the regulation talk is about the USD/Bitcoin interface.  However, until we can pay for food, clothing, housing, etc. directly with Bitcoin—and I do not mean using Bitcoin to buy Gyft cards, as wonderful a development as that is—we will not escape that interface, if we want to integrate Bitcoin into our financial lives.  One day, perhaps, but not today.

FinCEN, the Fed, the US Treasury, FATF, et al. are notoriously jealous of their legacy system, as profoundly broken as it is, and if we insist on using it, then we will be subject to their regulations and statutes.  I'm not suggesting that this is a good thing.

What do the individuals who bluster impotently on these discussion boards think that they are achieving?  Waggling one's little bottom at Sauron does not make the Forces of Darkness quake in fear.  It makes the community look like a pack of snot-nosed little punks.

Real revolutionaries embrace disruptive engineering, entrepreneurship, and entertainment.

Rather than fling boogers at men with guns, badges, drones, and warrantless wiretaps, we should be spending our efforts developing P2P exchange networks, real financial services (including car loans and mortgages), full-service retail outlets (for food, clothing, and other consumer goods), and large-scale outreach initiatives to get the masses on our side.

Until then, and as long as Mt. Gox 'suffers a DDOS attack' every time someone refreshes its website more than twice in a minute, bluster makes us look silly.

+1

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:52:02 PM

Fuck Washington, DC.
Fuck FinCEN.
Fuck Bitcoin Foundation.

So long as one is not subject to US jurisdiction, this sentiment is a matter of personal taste.  However, if one transacts with Americans and especially if one resides within the USA, this sentiment can lead to unfortunate consequences, unless one has closed all of one's bank and credit card accounts.

Obviously, Bitcoin per se is beyond direct regulation, and all the regulation talk is about the USD/Bitcoin interface.  However, until we can pay for food, clothing, housing, etc. directly with Bitcoin—and I do not mean using Bitcoin to buy Gyft cards, as wonderful a development as that is—we will not escape that interface, if we want to integrate Bitcoin into our financial lives.  One day, perhaps, but not today.

FinCEN, the Fed, the US Treasury, FATF, et al. are notoriously jealous of their legacy system, as profoundly broken as it is, and if we insist on using it, then we will be subject to their regulations and statutes.  I'm not suggesting that this is a good thing.

What do the individuals who bluster impotently on these discussion boards think that they are achieving?  Waggling one's little bottom at Sauron does not make the Forces of Darkness quake in fear.  It makes the community look like a pack of snot-nosed little punks.

Real revolutionaries embrace disruptive engineering, entrepreneurship, and entertainment.

Rather than fling boogers at men with guns, badges, drones, and warrantless wiretaps, we should be spending our efforts developing P2P exchange networks, real financial services (including car loans and mortgages), full-service retail outlets (for food, clothing, and other consumer goods), and large-scale outreach initiatives to get the masses on our side.

Until then, and as long as Mt. Gox 'suffers a DDOS attack' every time someone refreshes its website more than twice in a minute, bluster makes us look silly.

+1

+2

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:54:23 PM

The problem is what will happen if  said organization fail to prevent some illicit behaviour technically unpreventable?

Also, anyone still spreading the Gox "fake DDOS" FUD is free to go to #gox to ask for a DDOS advisory report issued by Prolexic of any particular day from user neofutur, and then call Prolexic to check if it is legit.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
puffpuffpass

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I'm nobody.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:56:52 PM

seems legit.

I have a bitcoin address that anyone can send BTC too, so I'm going to post it
on my sig because I think someone is going to randomly give me their BTC:
1D37qouguK5rNh1mSZDocgVCvA2rxsAgLp Roll Eyes
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:11:25 PM

So long as one is not subject to US jurisdiction, this sentiment is a matter of personal taste.

Half-measures will lead to complete fail of Bitcoin. 1st they regulate it, 2nd they shutdown it.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:16:53 PM

I'm aware of this also. Great idea. Hope it develops further.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:21:22 PM

Until then, and as long as Mt. Gox 'suffers a DDOS attack' every time someone refreshes its website more than twice in a minute.

Haha, sad but true.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:21:50 PM

I think I already self-regulate my bitcoin usage. When I say:

Fuck DC
Fuck FinCEN
Fuck Bitcoin Foundation

...it's because I know they're full of power-mad psychopaths that would like to control bitcoin for themselves, and I want them to know I don't fear them at all.

I don't need permission from them to trade USD<->BTC, nor will I ever. They can jerk themselves off talking about regulations all they want, but they're just going to look dumb when none of it matters.

I'm grumpy!!
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:22:57 PM

Bitcoin is a currency that knows no borders. They can of course regulate businesses and and their own citizens usage, but they have no authority over the currency itself.

tl;dr
fu america

Things have been screwed up, which is why we should work to un-screw them. America is still great place to live though.

tl;dr
fu you.  Wink

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:24:27 PM

Ruck fegulations!

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:32:40 PM

I don't need permission from them to trade USD<->BTC, nor will I ever. They can jerk themselves off talking about regulations all they want, but they're just going to look dumb when none of it matters.
Of course they do matter.
They can close down exchanges, they can close down business, and while this won't outright kill Bitcoin, it will make it much less useful and easy to use.

Ruck fegulations!
lol gg

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:57:28 PM

It sounds like they don't know how to incorporate Bitcoin into any other regulating agencies. With voluntary regulation, they have a point of contact to harass when something happens they don't understand. Who would be willing to stick their neck out like this? It would be better to wait for a sovereign nation to adopt Bitcoin. Then FinCEN would have little to say about it. They would either outlaw it and remain in the 20th Century, or embrace it and join the globalized economy.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:30:25 PM

Of course they do matter.
They can close down exchanges, they can close down business, and while this won't outright kill Bitcoin, it will make it much less useful and easy to use.

Correction: they can close down US exchanges or US businesses. The United States != the world.

CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:41:42 PM

Likely a reasonable thing for some of the U.S. exchanges to do, to make sure they are in compliance. I suspect the rest of the world will ignore them.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:56:48 PM

Translation: The commandant is looking for a few good kapos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: