Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:59:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC Bitcoin currency case sparks business security fears  (Read 1961 times)
mouse (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:12:51 AM

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/abc-bitcoin-currency-case-sparks-business-security-fears/story-e6frgakx-1226080833651?referrer=email&source=AIT_email_nl&emcmp=Ping&emchn=Newsletter&emlist=Member

"DIGITAL security experts have urged corporations to review their IT policies following the apparent use of the ABC's web resources by an employee to transact in Bitcoins, an esoteric but popular form of virtual money. "
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mouse (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:16:55 AM

"MT Gox Hack"
"25,000 BTC Stolen"
"Buying Drugs"

This is how people see bitcoin right now
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:23:14 AM

Sheesh. The article was about allowing employees to install untrusted software for their own purposes that go against the company's needs. Just like how employees install games or chat clients so they can have more fun at work.

This isn't even a bitcoin thing when it comes down to it. A friend of mine got fired for putting the distributed.net client to run in idle time on the -entire- server and workstation cluster at his place of employment, and they were exceedingly pissed off at the spike in the electric bill that resulted.

[Edit: While the article did indeed focus pretty heavily on bitcoin in that context, it's hardly a new issue, or new that companies usually have shitty security...]

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
peedee

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:24:15 AM

Lol, I was actually shocked when I read your title as I am hosting a Mining pool on ABCBitcoin.net since today Smiley.

But yes, the bad news seems to pile up lately...
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 12:43:28 AM

They pretty much say Bitcoin is used mostly for trading except:

The exception is criminal and fringe activity where the anonymity of Bitcoin transactions has made them popular for illicit activities such as buying drugs.

Bullshit. I'd still say that it's rare compared to other buying/selling. It's just the only thing that's making the news so it seems popular.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
oneforall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 02:19:38 AM

"MT Gox Hack"
"25,000 BTC Stolen"
"Buying Drugs"

This is how people see bitcoin right now

“Every problem has in it the seeds of its own solution. If you don’t have any problems, you don’t get any seeds.”
- Norman Vincent Peale

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
- Winston Churchill

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- Confucious

"The financial crisis appears to be mostly behind us, and the economy seems to have stabilized and is expanding again."
- Ben Bernanke   Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: