Bitcoin Forum
January 20, 2018, 05:35:35 AM *
News: Electrum users must upgrade to 3.0.5 if they haven't already. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BLOCKPLATE: A simpler way of storing your recovery seed (in metal)  (Read 875 times)
blockplate

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:26:46 PM

With Bitcoin, instead of a "trusted entity" (like a bank), security is your own personal responsibility. This difference can be daunting to some and prevent them from undertaking that obligation when buying their first bitcoin.

If we are to expect mass adoption, that uneasiness has to change.

Our goal is to promote acceptance and introduce simplicity to the one thing that will save your ass when your wallet fails, your recovery seed.

We're sharing a clean, permanent, and professional way of storing your wallet recovery seed phrase on a durable, long lasting material.

https://i.imgur.com/ama9XPa.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/DYPG9n3.png?1
https://i.imgur.com/Jd0gO2R.png?1

Using an automatic center punch (an easy tool that creates dimples in strong materials) you create a series of physical, permanant indentations on the plate to represent each letter/word of your mnemonic 12-24 recovery phrase.

A video of this in work: https://youtu.be/Mzt1ztX-_xE

Made of 304 stainless steel. Center punch is included.

Specifically for the BIP39 English wordlist. (using the first 4 unique letters of each word to minimize size)

Each Blockplate stores 12 words (6 on the front, 6 on the back, again to minimize size).

The grid is physically engraved into the plate.

Both sides can be safely punched without damaging the other due to the thickness (2mm) and hardness of the stainless steel.

For more information, our website is:

https://www.blockplate.com

We feel this is easier, simpler, and less intimidating than other methods (like metal stamping) and hope that it's a step in the right direction for cryptocurrency to be a regular, everyday thing.

Currently, we're doing an early pre-sale 2-pack (edit: that includes x2 plates (for up to 24 words) and a center punch which is included free with every order) for our first batch that we expect to ship in March 2018. Given that this is our first batch, it's limited to US shipping only. We'd like to work out international shipping logistics first to prevent losing units in transit.

This is the beginning and we hope to grow along with the community and the need for crypto-security. We'd love any input and support (even just mentioning us to a friend!).

Thank you for reading and if you have any other questions, let us know here or feel free to email us at info@blockplate.com

Thanks again!

UPDATE: We tested fire tested the Blockplate in a two part series: https://www.blockplate.com/pages/blockplate-torched-and-burned

• Part 1 (Torched) consists of applying a direct, extremely high temperature flame (about 3600 F) to its surface
  • Part 2 (Burned) simulates your typical house fire (1100 F) where a Blockplate is exposed to prolonged high temperatures and flames.

UPDATE 2: We have less than 25% of our early pre-sale inventory left! Thank you to everyone who purchased, shared, commented, and even just took the time to take a look.

UPDATE 3: Almost out. We've have less than 10% of our pre-sale inventory left.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BestWebCreator

Activity: 622

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 10:44:37 PM

With Bitcoin, instead of a "trusted entity" (like a bank), security is your own personal responsibility. This difference can be daunting to some and prevent them from undertaking that obligation when buying their first bitcoin.

If we are to expect mass adoption, that uneasiness has to change.

Our goal is to promote acceptance and introduce simplicity to the one thing that will save your ass when your wallet fails, your recovery seed.

We're sharing a clean, permanent, and professional way of storing your wallet recovery seed phrase on a durable, long lasting material.

Using an automatic center punch (an easy tool that creates dimples in strong materials) you create a series of physical, permanant indentations on the plate to represent each letter/word of your mnemonic 12-24 recovery phrase.

A video of this in work: https://youtu.be/Mzt1ztX-_xE

Made of 304 stainless steel. Center punch is included.

Specifically for the BIP39 English wordlist. (using the first 4 unique letters of each word to minimize size)

Each Blockplate stores 12 words (6 on the front, 6 on the back, again to minimize size).

The grid is physically engraved into the plate.

Both sides can be safely punched without damaging the other due to the thickness (2mm) and hardness of the stainless steel.

For more information, our website is:

https://www.blockplate.com

We feel this is easier, simpler, and less intimidating than other methods (like metal stamping) and hope that it's a step in the right direction for cryptocurrency to be a regular, everyday thing.

Currently, we're doing an early pre-sale 2-pack for our first batch that we expect to ship in March 2018. Given that this is our first batch, it's limited to US shipping only. We'd like to work out international shipping logistics first to prevent losing units in transit.

This is the beginning and we hope to grow along with the community and the need for crypto-security. We'd love any input and support (even just mentioning us to a friend!).

Thank you for reading and if you have any other questions, let us know here or feel free to email us at info@blockplate.com

Thanks again!
Quoted to display the images Smiley
It is a good way of storing a wallet seed, paperwallets are less durable so it is a good solution. However 39$ for a piece of metal and scratch pen is very expensive. I could go to the local shop and make this item myself for alot cheaper.
RGBKey

Activity: 616

Cypherpunk|Crypto Nerd|Provably Fair Verifier

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 12:14:19 AM

I gotta say, I'm a fan of all these metal hardware-wallet options out there. Although unfortunately unlike some metal "wallets" out there, this one can't be undone once you mark the metal, so you couldn't re-use it, but that could be a desirable quality. Glad to see another option on the market. On your site, is the $40 for the two pack or for a single plate?

blockplate

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 12:38:47 AM

Quoted to display the images Smiley
It is a good way of storing a wallet seed, paperwallets are less durable so it is a good solution. However 39$ for a piece of metal and scratch pen is very expensive. I could go to the local shop and make this item myself for alot cheaper.

Thanks BestWebCreator for quoting! I completely understand where you are coming from. I highly encourage those who have to means to manufacture to make something personal themselves. As a maker myself, there is a certain accomplishment and independence that comes from creating something from your own two hands.

I gotta say, I'm a fan of all these metal hardware-wallet options out there. Although unfortunately unlike some metal "wallets" out there, this one can't be undone once you mark the metal, so you couldn't re-use it, but that could be a desirable quality. Glad to see another option on the market. On your site, is the $40 for the two pack or for a single plate?

Hey RGBKey, thanks for the compliment! And yes, since its physically punched and recorded on the blockplate, it cannot be changed. The $40 is for the two pack (so up to 24 words) and a free center punch.
blockplate

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:07:37 PM

We recently took a torch and burned a Blockplate beyond what an average house fire would.

https://youtu.be/fsrv3N8oK78
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1064

Crypto-Games.net: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:18:26 PM

We recently took a torch and burned a Blockplate beyond what an average house fire would.

Interesting.Can someone write a tldr version of it please ?
Considering the size of the product,don't you think it is difficult to carry it or store it around ? Can't I just use a physical wallet instead ? I don't know about the market by personally I feel I don't need a huge metal device to store my seeds when I can keep that in my brains which is the most secure way and if I'm a little forgetful,I can always tattoo it on my butt.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
▀██████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████
BTC  ◉PLAY  ◉XMR  ◉DOGE  ◉STRAT  ◉ETH  ◉GRC  ◉LTC  ◉DASH  ◉PPC
     ▄▄██████████████▄▄
  ▄██████████████████████▄        █████
▄██████████████████████████▄      █████
████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ████     ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██
████ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ████ ▄██████▄
████████████████████████████ ████████
███████▀            ▀███████ ▀██████▀
█████▀                ▀█████
▀██████████████████████████▀
  ▀▀████████████████████▀▀ 
DICE           
BLACKJACK
PLINKO       
VIDEO POKER
ROULETTE     
LOTTO             
RGBKey

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 07:01:10 PM

Considering the size of the product,don't you think it is difficult to carry it or store it around ? Can't I just use a physical wallet instead ? I don't know about the market by personally I feel I don't need a huge metal device to store my seeds when I can keep that in my brains which is the most secure way and if I'm a little forgetful,I can always tattoo it on my butt.

I would imagine it's not meant to be carried around, but stored someplace secure in your home or possibly in a safe deposit box somewhere. If you feel confident in being able to memorize your seed, that's fine, but personally I wouldn't want to be asked what the seed I used 7 years ago was. That's why we write things down.

Oceat

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 09:49:34 PM

I would imagine it's not meant to be carried around, but stored someplace secure in your home or possibly in a safe deposit box somewhere. If you feel confident in being able to memorize your seed, that's fine, but personally I wouldn't want to be asked what the seed I used 7 years ago was. That's why we write things down.
I guess it will be useful for those investors of coins they should probably need it but somehow a piece of simple paper will do if you want to put it on a safe deposit box somewhere don't you think? Well somehow a piece of paper is not yet enough if you don't trust the capability of it either it will be torn apart or destroyed by bugs. A piece of metal something like this will help you to remember your seeds in the future but it has to be small so that it can be carried easily.

▄  ▀████▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
     ███      ▄▄███████
   ▄██▀       ▀▀███████▌ ▄
  ██▀  ▄█  ███▄   ▀▀████ ▀▄
▄█▀ ▄▄███  ██████▄    ▀█▌ ▐▌
 ▄▄██████  █████████▄▄     ▀█
▐████████  ████████████
▀▀█████  ████████▀▀  ▄▄  ██
 ▀▄▄ ▀▀██  ████▀▀  ▄▄███▀ █▀
  ▀██▄      ▀   ▄▄██████ █▀
   ▀███▄      █████████ ▄▀
    ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀████▀ ▀
         ███████▄▄▄ ▀▀

███
                                                                                  ▀▀▀
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄██████████████     ▄██████████████▄     ▄███████████████  ▄███████████████▄     ███     ▄███████████████▄
▄██▀                ▄██▀          ▀██▄   ▄██▀              ▄██▀           ▀██▄    ███    ▄██▀           ▀██▄
███                 ███           ▄███   ███               ███             ███    ███    ███             ███
████████████████    ███  ████████████    ███               ███             ███    ███    ███             ███
███                 ███           ▀███   ███               ███             ███    ███    ███             ███
▀██▄                ███           ▄██▀   ▀██▄              ▀██▄           ▄██▀    ███    ███             ███
 ▀██████████████    ███  ███████████▀     ▀███████████████  ▀███████████████▀     ███    ███             ███
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀             ▀▀▀

The Best Gift for Travelers        
Your Gateway to a $60 Billion Dollar Global Market
[]
RGBKey

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 11:30:18 PM

I guess it will be useful for those investors of coins they should probably need it but somehow a piece of simple paper will do if you want to put it on a safe deposit box somewhere don't you think? Well somehow a piece of paper is not yet enough if you don't trust the capability of it either it will be torn apart or destroyed by bugs. A piece of metal something like this will help you to remember your seeds in the future but it has to be small so that it can be carried easily.
I don't see why it would have to be small enough to fit in your pocket. This is already pretty small imo and there's no reason you should have to carry it around with you all the time.

blockplate

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 09:17:37 PM

Heyy, thank you to everyone who bought, shared, commented, or simply took the time to read about us! We've sold more than 75% of our early pre-sale inventory and will be looking towards producing more for the future. It has really shown us that the cryptocommunity is inherently supportive and share the same desire of wanting this space to grow. Anyway, we've got to get back to work to fulfilling those orders. Thanks all and thanks again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.