Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:33:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Drops - How to tell if one is Authentic or a Scam?  (Read 953 times)
rorromira

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 04:41:08 PM

Hi, as the others said before if in the airdrop registration you dont have to give away your private key they cant stole money from you. And its another thing if the project will succeed or not.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chrissteph

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 04:54:04 PM

new here, been searching for airdrops Grin
Heye

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:20:15 PM

https://airdropalert.com/
https://www.crypto-analyse.fr/airdrop/
BryanBitcoin123456

Activity: 21

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:33:14 PM

Where can I find out more about airdrops?
rain3798

Activity: 157

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 02:40:52 PM

For me the Airdrop that I only trust are those that are written in AirdropAlerts.com because I think they are the legit airdrops and they really give free coins. Just don't give your private keys and your safe even it is scam or not.

alfstep

Activity: 308
Merit: 128

Here I come! Again!

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

The one and most important thing in joining an airdrop is
DO NOT EVER entrust your private key to anybody, NOT EVEN yourself! Cheesy

Aside than that, nothing to loose for me  Grin

mysacrifice

Activity: 364
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:02:47 PM

basic and clear indication is if someone is asking your private key for your wallet, then there it is, %100 scam. never give your private key to someone.
asdalani

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:11:55 PM

There's a search function in this website that allows the user to search for a specific input in the whole website. Search for airdrops.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:17:43 PM

Does anyone have advice on how to distinguish authentic airdrops from scams?

When you join an airdrop, there is a free distribution of tokens, so you wont loose anything besides your time.

But The thing is those tokens are worthless if the airdrop is a scam. But as you said even if they are worthless you don't lose anything other than time.
And besides that as many people have already pointed it out its very easy to figure if the airdrop is scam, at least easier than to spot a scam ICO.
eldub

Activity: 232
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:24:14 PM

I feel ok with the Ethereum and Wave token airdrops, but I won't download a wallet to get an airdrop coin.

jumpsuitjoe

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 04:24:44 PM

To go along with what a lot of people are saying here, as long as you're not giving them any information other than the delivery address, there's no way you can get scammed. Even if the airdrop ends up being worthless, who cares. It doesn't mean you were scammed, it just means you wasted some time on a useless token. Take as many airdrops as you can get, there's no harm in participating as long as you keep your information private.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:29:14 PM

I have seen two types of airdrops, maybe there are more, a new coin that decides to give the coins to people and forked coins that gives to you an equal amount of the airdropped coins than the ones you had in your wallet, both have some cons, in the first case if a condition is attached to the delivery of the coins then that is fishy, in the second case the airdropped coins are delivered fairly but most of the time the new coin wants to destroy the original and that is bad for your investment in that coin.
cdb1690

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 05:01:24 PM

It's not only about giving or not giving out your private key (which you obviously shouldn't). There are other dangers of participating in airdrops including infected wallet software, infected website, email & password harvesting etc...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jumpsuitjoe

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 05:20:36 PM

I feel ok with the Ethereum and Wave token airdrops, but I won't download a wallet to get an airdrop coin.

This is also a great point. Don't ever download anything or sign up for an account somewhere that isn't well-known. And for heaven's sake, if you do sign up for an account, don't use the same password as your other accounts. Make sure you're using a unique password for just that site so they can't phish your info.
lokinator

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 05:31:45 PM

My goodness -- Does anyone else notice the latest trend here on Bitcointalk? Some newbie member posts a silly question about airdrops (such as how to tell if they are real), then half the responses are newbie members asking for information on airdrops. It's almost like everyone coming into the crypt world just thinks they are going to get millions of dollars worth of free coins. No investing, no research, just free stuff.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Also, apparently nobody considers using the search function on these forums anymore. Or even use Google for that matter.

To answer the OP:
Q - How do I tell if an airdrop is authentic
A - If you received coins it's probably a good bet that it is authentic

Important to note: An airdrop in which you ask for a handout for doing nothing, can't be a "scam." You didn't give them anything, so if they don't give you anything, you are in the same spot you were before asking for a free handout. You haven't been "scammed."

The obvious: Don't ever give anyone your wallet credentials or private keys. Nobody should have to reiterate that here in a thread like this because it is beyond obvious.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
maxwell1

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:30:58 PM

airdrops are free... So, as long as it only required your eth address / bitcointalk forum nickname, you have nothing to loose even if it is a scam,

Just never give out your private keys and UTC file you are good,
I don't seen it as waste of time though
maxwell1

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:53:00 PM

airdrops are free... So, as long as it only required your eth address / bitcointalk forum nickname, you have nothing to loose even if it is a scam,

Just never give out your private keys and UTC file you are good,
I don't seen it as waste of time though
marados

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:54:57 PM

If I see some airdrop announcement thread firstly, I check how much effort they put in it. If it is just copy-paste from some other airdrop or just some random text or something like that I automatically skip it. But if their thread looks legit to me and that they actually put some effort in it, then I check out reply to the thread to see what other people are replying. Then if everything seems okay, I check their website and other links they provided. Also be very careful, if thread seems scammy don't click on any links, especially do NOT download  their so called "wallets". And lastly check which information they want you to provide.

If it's only your ethereum address and bitcointalk profile link that is okay, with that they can't do you any harm. But if they ask for more personal information then be sure that they are legit and that their airdrop is authentic

Be safe and check twice!

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
Telegram   Medium   GitHub   Twitter   Reddit   LinkedIn   Facebook
5ensei

Activity: 728
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:57:27 PM

Anything with an e in front is a scam except for eBTC. Lots of copycat coins trying to jump on the airdrop bandwagon but will probably just dump the coins and abandon the project.

Telegram ❒◀           █▆▅▃▂    GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain    ▂▃▅▆█        Whitepaper❒◀
             Twitter❒◀               The world's first complete decentralized location-based services infrastructure            Facebook❒◀
Iolanna

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:02:35 PM

Good airdrops are rare now. If the dropped coin is already traded on exchanges, than I guess this airdrop deserved attention. Most of others are just another sheetcoins, which doesn't have any background. But even such coins can be very profitable as eBTC and ELTC2.
The main risk is when you have to install a wallet to get some coins. I prefer to be safe and just skip those.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: