Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:21:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin mining setup question. Noob here 😄  (Read 286 times)
D.Lagman (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 06:50:15 PM

Hey guys, I’m new to all this, just a question about setting up my own rig for mining BTC. Any recommendations or comments would be very much appreciated. Here is what im planning on getting.

GPU

Nvidia P106 6GB Mining Editions - 224 * 6 units

------------------------------------------------

MOTHERBOARD

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard LGA 1151

PSU

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

GPU RISER

MintCell 6-Pack PCIe 4-Pin MOLEX PCI-E 16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card w/ 60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable & MOLEX to SATA Power Cable - GPU Riser Adapter Ethereum Mining ETH + 2 MintCell Cable Ties

https://www.amazon.com/6-Pack-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B01GU94QSQ?tag=ethrig-20

-----------------------------------------------

CPU

AMD FX 4350 Quad Core 4.2 Processor AM3+ Socket

Ram 2

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 4GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM

SSD - Solid State Drive

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Solid State Drive - $44.99

What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:28:47 PM

You shouldn't use a GPU to try and mine BTC.  That hasn't been available for years... you have to use ASICs to mine BTC.  You can try to mine altcoins with a GPU.  You should do some reading here fora few days before jumping in.  You need to formulate some plans, as there are many aspects about mining that you don't understand yet.

If you want to download Nicehash and start mining right away, you will get a little bit of bitcoin while you figure out if mining is profitable for you.  Note that when you use Nicehash you are not mining BTC directly, but are mining altcoins and Nicehash pays you in BTC to do so.
D.Lagman (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 10:55:29 AM

You shouldn't use a GPU to try and mine BTC.  That hasn't been available for years... you have to use ASICs to mine BTC.  You can try to mine altcoins with a GPU.  You should do some reading here fora few days before jumping in.  You need to formulate some plans, as there are many aspects about mining that you don't understand yet.

If you want to download Nicehash and start mining right away, you will get a little bit of bitcoin while you figure out if mining is profitable for you.  Note that when you use Nicehash you are not mining BTC directly, but are mining altcoins and Nicehash pays you in BTC to do so.

Oh i see, so I've done a little bit digging, and i came across this. https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/antminer-s9/ will this do? and can this mine other altcoins as well as btc as well? electricity is cheap from where i am and i think it's going to be as profitable as trading. I already have Nicehash running on my local laptop but its producing a mere 1$ a day. Cheesy is there any recommendation you can give me with what the best possible set-up to go through?
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 11:54:05 AM

YOU CAN NOT MINE BTC OR BCH WITH GPU , or i would say technically you can , but you can not make more than a few cents/days

Yes you can mine BTC or BCH but nothing else with ANTMINER S9 from BITMAIN

All ASIC miner is loud and generating a lot of heat .

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
ans34

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 12:47:51 PM

D.Lagman, make much more digging about cryptocurrencies and mining... Or better just buy some bitcoins and leave them for 1-2 years
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 01:44:05 PM

For GPU mining, you mine BTC by not mining BTC.
Maveth13

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 01:52:36 PM

Oh i see, so I've done a little bit digging, and i came across this. https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/antminer-s9/ will this do? and can this mine other altcoins as well as btc as well? electricity is cheap from where i am and i think it's going to be as profitable as trading. I already have Nicehash running on my local laptop but its producing a mere 1$ a day. Cheesy is there any recommendation you can give me with what the best possible set-up to go through?

You would end up destroying your laptop if you keep using it for mining. That would probably cost more than the total money it earned, plus the electricity expenses you'd end up spending more than earning. A little digging wouldn't be enough, you should read more. If you're interested in antminers go straight to bitmain to avoid being scammed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: