Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:52:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: i had a doubt from a long time ..............  (Read 517 times)
blackhat988 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 10:49:39 AM

i wanna know weather the public keys generated from one private key show same balance  in my wallet

assume that  X is a private key of my bitcoin wallet and X1 X2 X3.... are the public keys of the given private key

if i do a transaction of 1btc using the public key X1 and after the transaction the balance is 2.5 btc
later if i use the X2 public key in the blockchain.info website

will it show the same balance in my wallet as 2.5 btc or  it will show 0btc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:05:51 AM

Again with you. Go learn about public keys and you will see that.
you can only have one private key for a public key.
But you really don't understand what you are talking about here.
You don't send bitcoins to a public key, you "send" it to an address.

Please give me one example of a private key generating multiple different public keys.
Are you maybe talking about a compressed and uncompressed addresses?

Your question makes no sense, go learn about Bitcoin addresses, here is one link https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 11:42:16 AM

An address is a visualization of a Public Key.
Each Public Key has ONE correspondending private key ("which holds the BTC").
Your Wallet generates Public/private key pairs.
If you have 0.1 btc on 1 address and 0.2 on another.. then your Wallet shows Balance of 0.3 BTC.
On Block Explorer you can search for addresses...
So 1 will Show 0.1 and the other 0.2 BTC.

pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 12:24:36 PM

You don't send bitcoins to a public key, you "send" it to an address.

Please give me one example of a private key generating multiple different public keys.
Are you maybe talking about a compressed and uncompressed addresses?

After rereading his post, it comes to me that he might talk about the addresses he sees in a (HD) wallet. There you usually have one priv key, and a set of derived pubkeys.
Seeing that the post is from a fairly new member, giving him direction to bitcoin.org is surely the right way.

@blackhat988 - in short:
the addresses and wallets are effectivly representations of the data, so we as humans can easily grasp the idea and use case. A wallet is then a combination of only priv/pub keys. You need these keys to do transactions. Transactions have inputs and outputs, from which you can spend. The input usually came to you via a bitcoin address, that you once provided. The output is generated by your wallet software with the target address. When the transaction is confirmed, it is  saved in the blockchain.
And as Bob123 replied, each transaction detail can be seen, e.g. on blockchain.info, you can search for your address or your transaction number. This helps to clarify, along with bitcoin.org.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 02:13:56 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

After rereading his post, it comes to me that he might talk about the addresses he sees in a (HD) wallet. There you usually have one priv key, and a set of derived pubkeys.
No, that's not true. With an HD wallet, you still have a private key and public key for every single address. All an HD wallet is is that you have a seed from which all over private keys in your wallet are derived. Addresses and public keys still work in the same way as randomly generated private keys.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 04:57:33 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

If you have 0.1 btc on 1 address and 0.2 on another.. then your Wallet shows Balance of 0.3 BTC.
On Block Explorer you can search for addresses...
So 1 will Show 0.1 and the other 0.2 BTC.

That is untrue.  Each P2PKH public key has on average 296 possible private keys.  In all likelihood you will only ever know 1 of them, but many more exist.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 05:09:20 PM

That is untrue.  Each P2PKH public key has on average 296 possible private keys.  In all likelihood you will only ever know 1 of them, but many more exist.
No, that statement is true. Each ADDRESS has on average 296. Each public key has exactly one private key and vice versa. Public keys and addresses are not the same thing.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4606

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 05:12:40 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

- snip -
- snip -

Each P2PKH public key has on average 296 possible private keys.  In all likelihood you will only ever know 1 of them, but many more exist.

You are both experiencing confusion because you have not agreed on a shared vocabulary.

bob123 is correct:
Each ECDSA public key computed with the Secp256k1 curve has exactly one private key.

cr1776 is correct:
Each base58check encoded P2PKH Bitcoin output script has on average 296 possible private keys (and 296 possible ECDSA public keys computed with the Secp256k1 curve), of which only one of each will ever be known.

To avoid the confusion, I suggest using the words "bitcoin address" when referring to the base58check encoded P2PKH Bitcoin output script, and using the words "public key" when referring to the ECDSA public key computed with the Secp256k1 curve.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:40:09 PM

No, that statement is true. Each ADDRESS has on average 296. Each public key has exactly one private key and vice versa. Public keys and addresses are not the same thing.

I think there was a confusion of terminology 😀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: