Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:19:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill issues: let's evaluate  (Read 2886 times)
bitcoin.monger

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:22:03 AM

Really?  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:20:18 PM

for me it worked smooth there all the time until now...
no problems
bitcoin.monger

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:31:30 PM

well, they have good days and bad days, like everyone else  Grin
marvinmartian

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:35:59 PM

Notes about TradeHill:

Let's just suppose you forgot your password. Where on the site can you request that a new one be emailed to you? Using the contact option is not good enough, as it does not sound immediate.

Let's just suppose your email address is greater than 30 characters. How do you sign up?

Given these two huge oversights, one wonders what is going on inside their trading engine.

Have you looked at "trading engines" over at places like:

eTrade
TD Ameritrade
Scottrade
OptionsXpress
Schwab
Merrill Lynch

or any online stock (or futures or optioons) trading site?

They all have limitations that would make the above you cite look like a mosquito bite.  TradeHill may have the earmarks of being new and growing pains ... but the issues mentioned above seem (oddly) very little source of concern.

"... and the geeks shall inherit the earth."
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 08:32:12 PM

Don't forget that TradeHill is run by the Chilean mafia  Shocked
marvinmartian

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 08:34:22 PM

If Tony Soprano ran mtgox they'd have been back up in an hour.

Tell "the boss" you're losing thousands of dollars a day because somebody hacked the website. 

Go ahead.

I'm gonna go call Furio.

Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 08:39:32 PM

Tell "the boss" you're losing thousands of dollars a day because somebody hacked the website. 

Go ahead.

I'm gonna go call Furio.

lol, you be mad

The above was a joke, I just wanted to get a response from Marvinmartian. Wasn't quite what I expected, either, lol

On a posting marathon, by any chance ?
marvinmartian

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:07:54 AM

Go ahead.

I'm gonna go call Furio.

lol, you be mad

The above was a joke, I just wanted to get a response from Marvinmartian. Wasn't quite what I expected, either, lol

On a posting marathon, by any chance ?

Not so much that.  Rather, I've recently made my investment in my mining rig(s) and gotten everything set up on the financial back end (eg., banks to transfer to/from).  The Mt. Gox hack happened pretty much as I went live with everything and was ready to start mining + trading = making money.

As I've said, I can forgive someone (or some site) getting hacked.  That happens.  So like everyone else I've been patiently waiting.  I had created my gox account (unfortunately) on 6/20.  I wish they had just disabled the ability to create new accounts, instead of ENABLE the ability to create accounts you can't log into.

What is becoming hard to forgive (continuing in the mafia phraseology) is the fumbling that's going on over at gox since the hack.  That has NOTHING to do with them being an unlucky target.  It has to do with them being schlubs.

It was the single area of research that I wasn't able to get a solid hand on before getting involved.  So I just assumed that gox should be pretty solid on the back end since they were starting to handle a decent amount of $$$ on a daily basis.

Perhaps more than anything, I'm concerned about how gox can damage the entire btc phenomenon.  I hate it when a few schlubs mess things up for everyone else.  Remember, gox is making money too here.  They're not philanthropists.

If bitcoins can't be traded and converted into real currency, they will die.  It's that simple.

As an aside,  I've been a strong (published) advocate of open software and open standards in general since before Linux kernel 1.0.  It makes me "very angry" to think that yet another innovative and open idea might fall to the wayside ... because of schlubs.

Sadly, I wasn't able to get Furio on the phone.  He and I feel the same way on this one.

bitcoin.monger

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:12:05 AM

I think that speculation beats mining when it comes to making money  Grin
But it's kind of hard to speculate without MtGox around  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: