Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:36:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you run the linux client in console only mode - i.e. no gui?  (Read 2078 times)
iamnot (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:45:03 PM

Is there a way to run the linux client in console only mode - i.e. no gui?  I am not interested in mining, I just want a way to run it on the server to contribute another node to the network.  Is that even useful?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
anna.murphy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:51:17 PM

Maybe you must have a look on bitcoind. And I'm sure there are already console client. Otherwise you can offer BTC to a guy for creating a console client. Cheesy
Olaf.Mandel

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:19:56 PM

Disclaimer: I am new to BitCoins, so I am somewhat shooting from the hip here.

That said: I agree that running bitcoind sounds like what you want to do. The question is: what is that good for if you don't make transactions with it and don't mine? Isn't this a little bit like opening a new pool (without the user accounts and the profit distribution): you provide the P2P infrastructure, but don't actually use it yourself or do any work yourself?

Question for others: is there a need for such "traffic nodes" or is the network suitably interconnected?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:33:01 PM

Disclaimer: I am new to BitCoins, so I am somewhat shooting from the hip here.

That said: I agree that running bitcoind sounds like what you want to do. The question is: what is that good for if you don't make transactions with it and don't mine? Isn't this a little bit like opening a new pool (without the user accounts and the profit distribution): you provide the P2P infrastructure, but don't actually use it yourself or do any work yourself?

Question for others: is there a need for such "traffic nodes" or is the network suitably interconnected?

You can still do everything you can with the GUI, you just have to do it through console commands.

To the OP:
Find the directory where you have bitcoin.... then /bin/(32 or 64)/ and there should be bitcoind in there.  I believe the command you want is './bitcoind &' and you'll be able to run console commands by typing 'bitcoind _____'.  I'd suggest starting with 'bitcoind help' to get the list of commands.

If this helped and you're feeling generous, feel free to send a donation my way (address below).
Olaf.Mandel

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:43:34 PM

That said: I agree that running bitcoind sounds like what you want to do. The question is: what is that good for if you don't make transactions with it and don't mine? [...]

[...]

iamnot said that he wanted to run it headlessly on a server to contribute to the network. So my question still stands: is there a need for more "network only" node? Of course it can't hurt, but does it help others?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:47:07 PM

That said: I agree that running bitcoind sounds like what you want to do. The question is: what is that good for if you don't make transactions with it and don't mine? [...]

[...]

iamnot said that he wanted to run it headlessly on a server to contribute to the network. So my question still stands: is there a need for more "network only" node? Of course it can't hurt, but does it help others?

Didn't even read the whole part... just the first sentence.  It doesn't hurt or help the network to run it and do nothing with it.  Not too much of a point if it's just sitting there.
Olaf.Mandel

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:58:08 PM

[...]

Didn't even read the whole part... just the first sentence.  It doesn't hurt or help the network to run it and do nothing with it.  Not too much of a point if it's just sitting there.

So not every node upholds the P2P network? Does this mean that the single miners or the pool operators provide the infrastructure for the P2P net?

And yes, I am sure this must be documented somewhere... I just always get sidetracked when trying to find out how it really works.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:35:27 PM

If a GUI program for linux were to emerge it would make many bitcoin users more apt to want to move from mac/windows to linux/ubuntu.

I think we can all agree that whomever creates this will get quite a bit of donations.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:42:44 PM

Is there a way to run the linux client in console only mode - i.e. no gui?  I am not interested in mining, I just want a way to run it on the server to contribute another node to the network.  Is that even useful?
What do you mean with console only mode?

There is no curses-based text UI at the moment, but you can use 'bitcoind' to send commands from the command-line.

orion@amethyst:~/...$ bitcoind help

backupwallet <destination>                                                                                                                                   
getaccount <bitcoinaddress>
getaccountaddress <account>
getaddressesbyaccount <account>
getbalance [account] [minconf=1]
getblockcount
getblocknumber
getconnectioncount
getdifficulty
getgenerate
gethashespersec
getinfo
getnewaddress [account]
getreceivedbyaccount <account> [minconf=1]
getreceivedbyaddress <bitcoinaddress> [minconf=1]
gettransaction <txid>
getwork [data]
help [command]
listaccounts [minconf=1]
listreceivedbyaccount [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listreceivedbyaddress [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listtransactions [account] [count=10] [from=0]
move <fromaccount> <toaccount> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment]
sendfrom <fromaccount> <tobitcoinaddress> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment] [comment-to]
sendmany <fromaccount> {address:amount,...} [minconf=1] [comment]
sendtoaddress <bitcoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]
setaccount <bitcoinaddress> <account>
setgenerate <generate> [genproclimit]
settxfee <amount>
stop
validateaddress <bitcoinaddress>

If a GUI program for linux were to emerge it would make many bitcoin users more apt to want to move from mac/windows to linux/ubuntu.

I think we can all agree that whomever creates this will get quite a bit of donations.
GUI for Linux: https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15276.0

My BTC address is in my signature. Thanks  Wink

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: