Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:54:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ayn Rand quote  (Read 7509 times)
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:54:10 PM

I find some posters' patience with Atlas and willingness to reply with sane arguments to his dipshittery highly commendable. The Bitcoin forums are filled with ridiculous and paranoid arguments, and grand plans about destroying the status quo - this is really setting us back. No sane entrepeneur would take something backed by such a community seriously. We need more posters making sane - not strawman - arguments and standing up for them. Good thing Bitcoin is still in its infancy, hopefully the users will grow up along with it.

Best post I've ever read on this forum.  We can't let this cause get hijacked by a bunch of delusional teenagers.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:24:35 PM

There is no collective.

There is when a group of people decide they share a common interest and want to work together to achieve it, which they quite often do.

A group of people never decide. Only an individual is capable of choice.

And when several individuals decide on a common course ... they form a collective for a while.

You can semantically narrow down the word collective until it never applies, yes ... but the social reality remains that humans do collaborate and sometimes even altruistically. Which is a good thing. Call those collaborations whatever you want.

There's a difference between a collective by which all its components voluntarily choose to work together and one constructed by slavery and coercion. It seems most "collectivists" advocate collaboration by force and theft.

Neither I nor the ~~~~~ guy ever implied anything about force. Actually, we both expressed our disdain for the extreme of both sides. I am no fascist or communist (both being collectivist in the extreme and forceful way).

Besides, I didnt want to argue collectivism vs individualism. I just wanted to point out that flat out denying the existance of collectives was plain strange/false.

If you define "the collective" as set of individuals with coincidental interests collaborating voluntarily, would you both agree that the collective exists?
Anonymous

July 13, 2011, 11:28:37 PM

His idea of a collective is that parts of it can be compromised for parts one may subjectively deem worthy. He views a collective as a single organism when it is not. I don't believe individuals are to be compromised in such a fashion.

A rational collective respects the sovereignty of all its parts.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:29:10 PM

I find some posters' patience with Atlas and willingness to reply with sane arguments to his dipshittery highly commendable. The Bitcoin forums are filled with ridiculous and paranoid arguments, and grand plans about destroying the status quo - this is really setting us back. No sane entrepeneur would take something backed by such a community seriously. We need more posters making sane - not strawman - arguments and standing up for them. Good thing Bitcoin is still in its infancy, hopefully the users will grow up along with it.

Best post I've ever read on this forum.  We can't let this cause get hijacked by a bunch of delusional teenagers.
^^ +1 though I would finish the sentence with "living in mom's basement."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:36:54 PM

You all like to bash Atlas for being 17, living at home, etc. but none have made convincing arguments against his points. IMO.

Who is the child here?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:43:16 PM

I don't fault someone for their age, but I do reserve the right to admonish someone that repeatedly uses the same refuted arguments.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Anonymous

July 13, 2011, 11:50:48 PM

I don't fault someone for their age, but I do reserve the right to admonish someone that repeatedly uses the same refuted arguments.
I have yet to see a successful refutation. Especially the refutation of the man's right to himself.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:56:55 PM

I have yet to see a successful refutation. Especially the refutation of the man's right to himself.
See, you make these overly generalized statements that are meaningless. There is no context and I can easily refute that statement.

Anonymous

July 13, 2011, 11:58:16 PM

See, you make these overly generalized statements that are meaningless. There is no context and I can easily refute that statement.
The meaning lies in the words. However, freedom and rights are not just words, they are perspectives. Feel free to share yours so we can have a conversation.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:59:51 PM

This is very ironic.
Indeed.

AyeYo

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:11:30 AM

I'm still waiting on that explanation of why corporations have no incentive to produce safer products under current conditions.

You don't make arguments, you make baseless statements.  Since they have no logic trail and no supporting premises, I can refute them by simply saying, "you're wrong."  If you'd like to actually construct an argument (something you've been asked to do many times in many threads, yet you never have), I'll be more than happy to refute it.  Until then... you're wrong.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
Anonymous

July 14, 2011, 01:21:41 AM

I've never been here to argue. I've been here to have a productive conversation, a building of perspectives, if you will. I have little incentive to sacrifice my time by holding your hand and giving you a complete tour of my perspective; however, I will be happy to have an equitable discussion which you never provide.

You view it as a game. I don't wish to play it. Good day.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:28:36 AM

I've never been here to argue. I've been here to have a productive conversation, a building of perspectives, if you will. I have little incentive to sacrifice my time by holding your hand and giving you a complete tour of my perspective; however, I will be happy to have an equitable discussion which you never provide.

Gotcha, so you're here to make totally baseless statements that your parade around as fact until someone asks hold you to the fire and demands you explain yourself... then you run away.

Sounds very productive to me.

Anonymous

July 14, 2011, 01:30:47 AM

Gotcha, so you're here to make totally baseless statements that your parade around as fact until someone asks hold you to the fire and demands you explain yourself... then you run away.

Sounds very productive to me.
I am here to have people tell me why my perspective is false.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:38:56 AM

There is no right but what men assert for themselves.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:37:30 AM

I notice that Atlas tends to discuss points. He is engaged in a philosophical debate. It's fine to disagree with him.

And yet I also notice that some of his opponents, upon becoming frustrated with his worldview, tend to resort to calling him immature, ridiculous, "ideological," etc. etc. Other opponents generalize outward with statements such as, "if Bitcoin is made up of such crazy anarcho-libertarian types then the whole experiment will collapse."

Perhaps this is because his opponents know, deep down, that their world view relies on coercion. It relies on theft and the surrender of the individual to the collective. Such people, being good at heart, do not wish to explore their own ideas, lest they become visible. It must be uncomfortable to realize one's moral framework is built up around what amounts to involuntary servitude.
GideonGono

Activity: 1974
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 09:27:19 AM

The funny thing is that a "a bunch of delusional teenagers," "living in mom's basement" built Bitcoin. Satoshi Nakamoto himself had "grand plans about destroying the status quo."

Maybe it is YOU who should go somewhere else. You are free to start GovCoin.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:17:40 AM

The funny thing is that a "a bunch of delusional teenagers," "living in mom's basement" built Bitcoin. Satoshi Nakamoto himself had "grand plans about destroying the status quo."

Maybe it is YOU who should go somewhere else. You are free to start GovCoin.
Really? Do you have evidence of this motivation? Do you know Satoshi personally? Or is this more made up nonsense?

Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:06:56 PM

Maybe it is YOU who should go somewhere else.

By far the most hilarious thing about this community is the mentality: "Bitcoin is free and open to everyone, unless I disagree with something you say, if so you are DEFINITELY a government shill; GTFO you have no place here".
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:17:07 PM

There is no collective.

There is when a group of people decide they share a common interest and want to work together to achieve it, which they quite often do.

A group of people never decide. A group is not a single organism nor a singular sentient being. It's consent can never be unilateral. Only an individual is capable of choice and consent.

LOL.

A group of people never decide? Consent can never be unilateral?

Even an idiot like you surely respects the ability of a Jury of his peers to hear a case at Law?

Or are you one of those "Sovereign" idiots who are beholden to nothing to do with man at all?

Please, come visit my family and I and we'll surely show you a unilateral decision of utmost vulgarity.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: