Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you choose?
Bitcoin - 24 (80%)
US Dollar - 6 (20%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Vs. USD  (Read 3053 times)
Immanuel (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 02:34:42 AM

Let's say all your assets were collected and you only had two options: You could either put them in US dollars or Bitcoins forever. You will never able to save it in another currency again. What do you choose?

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 02:35:16 AM

Bitcoin, of course!

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 02:45:01 AM

Lets see... put it on bitcoins runs the risk of bitcoins disappearing... the whole network, the coins themselves are as safe as the wallet file. On the upside, if the network is kept the coin value is very likely to sky rocket within a few years due to adoption, deflation due to loss and simply because there's a limited max amount for an immense user base still to come. 1 $0.22 coin may buy you that boat one day Smiley

Put it in USD... you can collect interests, but chances are interests will always be lower than inflation, and inflation will tend to rise as more money is thrown at the inflation problem... And there is the chance of the whole system collapsing onto itself, more because of the attempted fixes than of the generalized crisis and whatnot. On the upside.. hmmm, I got nothing here.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 03:17:06 AM

USD, here and now. The supermarket doesn't accept bitcoins yet.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 03:41:40 AM

Let's say all your assets were collected and you only had two options: You could either put them in US dollars or Bitcoins forever. You will never able to save it in another currency again. What do you choose?

If I'm poor, I chose USD.  Because short term will prevail, since everything will be spent in a few weeks anyway.

If I'm wealthy, I chose BTC.  Because in a few years dollars will worth almost nothing.

PS.  I voted BTC

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 03:49:46 AM

If you only mean savings and I'm free to convert and spend on the same day or something then bitcoin hands down. But this isn't saying much, I'd rather have my savings in almost anything than the USD.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 08:47:57 AM

Poker players use something call a bankroll for managing risk. The amount of money needed to play at a level (called a limit) is called your 'buy-in'. So you might be at NL50 and the buy-in is $50 and the next limit is usually double, so NL100 or $100.

Mathematically the buyin is calculated using the risk-of-ruin formula for blackjack but an accurate rule of thumb is that to play a limit you need 20 buyins MINIMUM.

so if I have $1000+ or $50*20 then I can play NL50. However if I wish to play NL100, then I must win an additional $1000 to move up to NL100 ($2000 bankroll).

It's a way of hedging your risk so that you don't go bankrupt.

Now the question is asking me if I want to bet my ENTIRE bankroll on Bitcoins. That means I'm using a 1-buyin rule. Not smart at all. If you lose then you're bankrupt.

However if you though BTC is going up then you can bet a portion of your bankroll depending on how risky you think it is (somewhat risky = 1/20th of my bankroll, very risk = 1/50th).

Anyone interested more can read here:
http://www.liquidpoker.net/pokerarticle/146441/The_bankroll_management_and_variance_guide

That's all correct. But the exact same applies to the USD. Since the question forced us to abandon BRM anyway this doesn't tell us which way to go.

You are actually more fucked if you have everything in the dollar when it goes because all the people around you who could help you if you were the only one who lost it all are also ruined now.

To be clear, I'm not putting everything in BTC, but I'm not putting it all in the dollar either.

nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 09:21:01 AM

Almost any sort of money is preferable to USD right now.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 09:52:07 AM

Almost any sort of money is preferable to USD right now.

"Your total is one really big rock, please pull up to the second window."

RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 04:28:28 PM

"Your total is one really big rock, please pull up to the second window."

What is funny about the Yap stone money is that "contracts" were made which allowed transferring the money from one person to another without physically carrying to "coins".  It got quite sophisticated including loans and inheritance, where the stones themselves were rarely moved about.  Sort of like how the New York Federal Reserve Bank still has a gold reserve and transfers ownership of the bars from one person to the next based on contracts, but the gold stays in mostly the same place except for occasional physical transfers.

These stones were more effective as real money than you might imagine.  Yap stone money also seems to have a lot more in common with Bitcoins than government fiat currency as it clearly was a "proof-of-work" based currency.  Anybody could grab a stone to create one of these "coins", and the value of the coin was directly related to the effort made to create that coin.  It isn't a perfect analogy to Bitcoins, but pretty close.
RichardG

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 09:03:01 PM

I'd keep them on Bitcoin for the fun of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: