Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:21:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which hardware wallet 2017?  (Read 819 times)
bitjoin (OP)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:10:55 AM

Which hardware wallet do you think is the best to get in 2017? (price not important, security and ease of use is)

How do you know the manufacturer hasn't installed something malicious in the hardware wallet?

I saw a unanswered question on youtube saying, what happens if the hardware wallet chip fails can you get you bitcoin back?

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ChainSmoker

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:21:11 AM

Which hardware wallet do you think is the best to get in 2017? (price not important, security and ease of use is)

How do you know the manufacturer hasn't installed something malicious in the hardware wallet?

I saw a unanswered question on youtube saying, what happens if the hardware wallet chip fails can you get you bitcoin back?
I won't trust any hardware wallet but if i have to choose one then i will go with Trezor.It has good reputation then others and also easy to use.Some manufactures pack their wallets so that you can be sure it's not tempered with during shipping but you can't be 100% sure of that.I only use Trezor with small amounts because i am a bit paranoid.If the hardware wallet chip fails/stolen/broken into pieces then you can recover your bitcoins easily if you know that seed to your wallet.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 08:25:14 AM

I'm happily using both a trezor and a ledger nano S. I gave my ledger HW.1 to my daughter.

Can you be sure the manufacturer did not tamper with the initilisation workflow so they only create pre-generated seed phrases during initialisation? No, there is no 100% guarantee if you use the device out-of-the box and do not check the sourcecode, compile and verify everything yourself . However, trezor's design and firmware is completely open, they both use bitcoin standards, so you can easiliy check wether or not the seed you entered corresponds with the deposit addresses generated by your device. You could even open up your hardware wallet and check if all components are correct, you can verify the firmware,...

Like i said, the only thing they could tamper with, is the initialisation of their wallet... But you could potentially check the sourcecode and compile everything yourself, or roll a dice to create your own seed phrase. So, if they tampered with the procedure, i guess sooner or later somebody would find out and destroy their business.

As a matter of fact, did you check your other wallet's sourcecode and compiled everything yourself on a clean, potentially airgapped system? Did you check all signatures of your wallet before running it? In case you create a paper wallet, did you check the RNG they used???

I don't know many people that use a dice and an airgapped PC to create their private keys, so sooner or later you're going to have to trust somebody (wether it's the community, the reviewers, the manufacturer,...)

If not, your other wallets are less safe than your hardware wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
twf75

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:35:01 AM

Ledger Nano, still. Or Trezor.

And be aware that any wallet (hard or soft) has the potential to be insecure (as I doubt people check the integrity of every firmware update they get).
coinblaster99

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:41:09 AM

You can think of a wallet as your personal interface to the Bitcoin network, similar to how your online bank account is an interface to the regular monetary system.
Bitcoin wallets contain private keys; secret codes that allow you to spend your bitcoins. A hardware wallet is a physical electronic device, built for the sole purpose of securing bitcoins. I will suggest you some popular Hardware wallet :
BTC Hardware Wallet...
1. Ledger Nano S
2. KeepKey
3. Trezor
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:51:44 AM

I feel like Trezor is probably still leading the way here, with Ledger closely following.

You simply cannot. There is no 100% guarantee that whoever manufactured your wallet has tampered with it in order to steal coins from you, and it is always assumed that if they steal from you they'd simply lose out more in the long term(which could potentially be a myth).

If the wallet fails, then you really have to ask the manufacturer. It could be recoverable, could be not.

bitjoin (OP)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:22:32 AM

I don't know many people that use a dice and an airgapped PC to create their private keys, so sooner or later you're going to have to trust somebody (wether it's the community, the reviewers, the manufacturer,...)

Between trusting the community, the reviewers, the manufacturer etc i would pick the communities long term judgement on open source product as the best thing to trust.  So what does that mean to me... having the bitcoin core wallet on a linux operating system, is maybe the safest bet - Has anyone ever been hacked on a linux system hot wallet?

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....
Snyderfx

Activity: 308
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 04:03:05 AM

My opinion is that trezor and ledger nano..but you have to look your interface

eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 01:54:46 PM

I chose Trezor over Ledger because simply there is a more trusted Company behind them. I never heard anyone was scammed by SatoshiLabs (Same goes for Ledger for now but they are simply here for shorter amount of time)
Pr0tectingcoin

Activity: 51
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 04:17:11 AM

Trezor is a great choice.  They come with tamper proof seals and are shipped without firmware.  Firmware is installed on initial setup and is very easy.

If your hardware wallet is every lost, stolen or destroyed you can recover access by using your 24 word seed that is created and recorded when you perform the initial setup.

The process to install the firmware and record your seed list is less than 5 minutes and pretty straight forward.
XXX_BTC1@

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 06:56:14 AM

a hardware is physically electronic devise so try once it. my opinion is trezor is the best hardware wallet. it keeps more secure to our coins. so you have to buy it. it is really good and trusted company. so every one use it and more helpful to you. and another wallet is ledger is also give more secure. so both are good for usage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: