Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:20:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There is No Bubble  (Read 2905 times)
peach (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 10:10:43 PM

It is my belief that Bitcoins' current price is not dangerously speculative nor are they in a bubble of any reasonable magnitude.

As someone who deals with website rankings, trends, and internet virality on almost a daily basis, I immediately became interested in just what fashion Bitcoin's user population is expanding as a possible indicator for why it is BTCs have experienced such a significant growth in the past couple months. A few questions arose: "How much of BTCs recent gains are due to speculation, hivemind, hype, and hoarding?" and "Does BTCs recent growth correlate to a greater number of users?"

In attempts to answer these questions, I looked at some traffic data from Alexa.com:
http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?&w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=p&b=ffffff&n=666666&r=3m&u=bitcoin.org

And the Google insight trend for the term 'bitcoin':
https://i.imgur.com/qkSsi.png

And finally the price of BTC in ~the same time period:
https://i.imgur.com/rHfjt.png

Although you may find this graph rather uninteresting, I see this somewhat loose correlation as an indicator that the recent jump in price is not due (primarily) to an increase in hoarding, speculation, or hype, but rather to a simple jump in users. This is not to say, however, that hype did not cause the jump in users and interest.
It is simply being said that Bitcoins are unlike precious metals as of late in regards to their principal reason for an increase in price.

What is your take on it?

If you found my post helpful or interesting, any donations would be hugely appreciated and help my enormous college debt immensely:
18DFtagHBF229VAqgxPPfo2AjwVq6bRZ2S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
relative

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 10:31:01 PM

that the recent jump in price is not due (primarily) to an increase in hoarding, speculation, or hype, but rather to a simple jump in users.

I fail to see the difference between a bitcoin user and a bitcoin speculator.
what are all these new users using bitcoin for?
peach (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 10:35:55 PM

that the recent jump in price is not due (primarily) to an increase in hoarding, speculation, or hype, but rather to a simple jump in users.

As we know, BTCs value isn't judged by its usefulness and application but by attention and revolutionary nature. The more people are interested in it, the higher the price, the more it will be used/spent. Period.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 10:37:00 PM

I'm only relatively new (February, 2011), but I use bitcoins to buy things.  That's kinda what they were made for.  I have some savings, but I spend quite a few.  When I do, I buy new ones with the fiat I would have spent.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
peach (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 10:41:00 PM

I'm only relatively new (February, 2011), but I use bitcoins to buy things.  That's kinda what they were made for.  I have some savings, but I spend quite a few.  When I do, I buy new ones with the fiat I would have spent.

Exactly. And to steal a quote from Bittalk.tv, who referenced The Pirate Bay's founder saying: "If 10% of the black market was dealt with using BTC, their value would increase by a factor of 600."

This is not to say the black market will be the largest medium wherein BTC are spent. It is simply an example to put things into context.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:14:59 PM

And to steal a quote from Bittalk.tv, who referenced The Pirate Bay's founder saying: "If 10% of the black market was dealt with using BTC, their value would increase by a factor of 600."
If you're referring to this, then it's not the founder of The Pirate Bay but the founder of the Swedish Pirate Party: Rickard Falkvinge.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
FooDSt4mP

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:15:55 PM

I think the bitcoin community, on average, is crazier and more speculative, and generally more economically irrational, than the Ron Paul BuyGoldEvenAtStupidHighPricesof$1500 community

If that's true, you should be able to do pretty well trading against such people.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
anybodyelseNOW

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:25:54 PM

if bitcoins were stabilized the black market could use it. But right now is just the internet version on monopoly.
FooDSt4mP

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:29:58 PM

if bitcoins were stabilized the black market could use it. But right now is just the internet version on monopoly.

If the black market used it, it would stabilize.  Welcome to the chicken and the egg.  However, if I ran a cartel I would pick up a few thousand and then push it really hard.  The crooks who can grok it will make out handsomely if they can explain it to their buddies.

relative

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:33:08 PM

As we know, BTCs value isn't judged by its usefulness and application but by attention and revolutionary nature. The more people are interested in it, the higher the price, the more it will be used/spent. Period.

unfortunately, your "Period" prevents me from adding how stupid this argument is.
reminds me of the time when business were judged by their number of page impressions instead of a business plan or revenue.
peach (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:40:56 PM

unfortunately, your "Period" prevents me from adding how stupid this argument is.
reminds me of the time when business were judged by their number of page impressions instead of a business plan or revenue.

So I take it you would find any gold-owners stupid if gold wasn't used in jewelry/decorative purposes?
HappyFunnyFoo

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:41:53 PM

I think the bitcoin community, on average, is crazier and more speculative, and generally more economically irrational, than the Ron Paul BuyGoldEvenAtStupidHighPricesof$1500 community

If that's true, you should be able to do pretty well trading against such people.

Buying a mutual fund and going to sleep for 10 years will beat even the best btc trader
peach (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:50:02 PM

Buying a mutual fund and going to sleep for 10 years will beat even the best btc trader

Not at all.

An optimistic outlook for a mutual fund is 7-9% gain annually. That's practically nothing compared to the returns people have made on BTC.
relative

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:57:24 PM

http://static.images.memegenerator.net/Instances400/8/8233/8431507.jpg

http://static.images.memegenerator.net/Instances400/8/8234/8431730.jpg
killer2021

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:02:00 AM

yea everyone sell your bitcoins so I can buy cheap  Wink

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
relative

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:03:11 AM

yea everyone sell your bitcoins so I can buy cheap  Wink

well, I doubt you guys are gonna sell it off to about 0,20$ or more anytime soon, so naaa. I'm not buying.
FooDSt4mP

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:05:54 AM

Not at all.

An optimistic outlook for a mutual fund is 7-9% gain annually. That's practically nothing compared to the returns people have made on BTC.

We won't have any idea who is right until bitcoin has existed for 10 years.  Or if your mutual fund will even beat inflation.

Crystal Excursion

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

I'm Crazy about Bitcoin, trading Quartz for BTC

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 12:13:00 AM

To me this is the Core of the adoption process. People Buy some BTC,, save some, spend some, and Buy some more... I think You're Doing It Right !
+1 Smiley
May the Bitcoins Flow4U !

Hey.. Skype Me.. Beffjaker
see my website, PM if Interested, Thanks !
peach (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:31:49 AM

Not quite sure what you're getting at, Chod.

Implying that A-shares of BRK experienced a bubble?
peach (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:48:52 AM

Not much can be predicted solely based on technical aspects of graphs, so I wasn't clear.
And there hasn't been worry among any circles about a bubble among BRK.A shares.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: