Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:32:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPUs vs Block Erupter USBs?  (Read 2890 times)
laserray

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:08:43 AM

i think imma just buy 1 of the usb things and a rasberry pi, leave it and forget it. lol check back once a month and order pizza with the winnings Tongue

Thats a good way to look at it ...but even then you might not have enough for a pizza lol

Here's some more food for thought...

Assuming the difficulty doesn't increase too much (it's already climbing pretty fast) and that you're part of a fairly lucky pool (a lot of ifs), at ~300 MH you should see something like 0.01 BTC a day.

That fastest way to get pizza is to use a service that takes BTC (and charges a fee) to buy pizza because you'll have to wait a long time to hit minimum amounts to do money conversion at most exchanges.  Now let's say the pizza costs $10 and the fee is $2 @ a rate of $100 per BTC (for simplicity), you'll need 0.12 BTC.  That's 12 days at the previous rate to be able to get pizza, so 2 pizzas a month which is not bad.

However, considering that you spent 2 BTC on the hardware you could just buy yourself 16 pizzas to begin with.  That's 2 pizzas for the next 8 months.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FrigidWinter

Activity: 53

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:57:44 AM

The other missing factor is heat.  Depending on location heat can be a big problem with a lot of GPUs.

Asics suffer from even more severe heat issues than gpu's. The first BFL labs units were errible for heat and even the block eruptors suffer from heat issues. They run fine but are not running at there top end due to heat concerns
MiaFene

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:24:41 PM

The other missing factor is heat.  Depending on location heat can be a big problem with a lot of GPUs.

Asics suffer from even more severe heat issues than gpu's. The first BFL labs units were errible for heat and even the block eruptors suffer from heat issues. They run fine but are not running at there top end due to heat concerns

Yep. 10 vs 13 GH/sec...? Quite some difference with ample cooling.

MF
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:37:23 PM

You also have to factor in that the Block Eruptors are an easy way to add hash to an already overloaded 15 AMP circuit. You can milk ALOT more hash out of a residence! Running them on a desktop already being used for normal purposes is alot easier. I tried to add a 7970 to a Dell and it was a fail due to lack of BUS power. I did not know about powered-risers at the time so maybe it would have worked that way...

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
polygonCH

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:45:22 PM

Hi all

My first stupid post as I'm a Newbie how is just try to buy some USB or Block Eruptors items. Seems I can't do this without get out of my Newbie state? Or does someone sell some items?
I will pay with wire transfer, after I got the items  Wink

Regards Patrick
FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:47:05 PM

Hi all

My first stupid post as I'm a Newbie how is just try to buy some USB or Block Eruptors items. Seems I can't do this without get out of my Newbie state? Or does someone sell some items?
I will pay with wire transfer, after I got the items  Wink

Regards Patrick

Ebay...

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:52:37 PM

Hi all

I will pay with wire transfer, after I got the items  Wink

Regards Patrick

Ask to be whitelisted (see the README). If you say its to participate in a block group buy at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=76.0 then you'll probably get OK'd.

Oh, PS. You do know these are a very bad deal don't you (popular though nonetheless). Are you expecting to make a profit or just laundering bitcoin?

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
gacbmmml

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:22:12 PM

You can buy Block Erupters for 1 btc from btcguild.com if you're so inclined.
Mooshire

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:41:29 PM

Getting a good GPU is always a nice investment just because of better quality graphics on your computer, mostly with games. Also, if you like mining altcoins, GPUs are still pretty much king around there.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: